Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work/Life in New Zealand!

Options
  • 01-05-2009 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

hey all, myself and a few friends are thinkin about going to new zealand to work (in november-ish). we're all qualifying as civil engineers this year and no jobs to be found anywhere:(

any info on visas, flights, would be much appreciated! we are looking into goin thru USIT, only because we know it would be safe and a lot of us have gone to america with them!

and does anyone know if there is much work over there? we have one or two contacts that are in nz working but they dont know what the engineering industry is like over there!:o

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Have no idea about that industry. Things are kinda slow here but there are jobs afaik. Check out the links made by watna in the useful links sticky.

www.seek.co.nz is good to see how many jobs there are in your area.
    Get the visa yourself from the NZ immigration site. Its really easy. dont bother with Usit. Cheapest flights we got were from trail finders.

Also do some traveling if you are heading this way. South East Asia is just there for you to be explored. Also its best you delay yourself coming over as novemeber is heading into their summer as december and january are very slow for jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

not to mention that it's peak season here in november, so flights will be more expensive. i think march/april, coming into winter, but a good bit away from ski season is about the cheapest time to come here.

still jobs here, eg, pointed out a 'hiring' sign on a pub to a mate on monday, he started saturday. has since gotten another job and turned the pub job down. i have two jobs at the mo (neither amazing pay, but the hours and lifestyle suit me down to the ground), in office work and childcare, as far as i know, the childcare ones are still interested in new staff. was accepted for work with a care of the elderly job just under a year ago now, i think they're just about always looking for people too.

can't say anything about your area, but jobs are here, that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Would also reccommend that you do not get the visas through USIT. It's much cheaper (€65) to get it direct. You can do this online on www.immigration.govt.nz and you get a reply fairly soon (mine took 3 days). You then get an e-visa.

Cheapest flight I got was through Austravel (cheapest as we had some restrictions and they were really good about getting us there the cheapest way with our requirements)

I'm afraid I've no information about engineering jobs but as was said above check out seek. I work for an insurance company and we're still hiring. In fact we're doing a huge recruitment drive for call centre employees. If you're willing to be flexible then you will probably be ok. You just need to keep in mind that you will need to have some money behind you and that you make not get engineering work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

There is demand still here in construction though as pointed out, has slowed somewhat. If your coming on a WHV you might find it harder to get work/interviews unless you make out you're staying longer then a year but you'd get something.

The larger construction and engineering companies with public contracts still seem to be hiring, defo check out Fletchers who are still working on Wellingtons new hospital.

http://www.fletcherconstruction.co.nz/employment/overseas-recruits.php

Advertisement