Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it "illegal" to sell an electrical product without a plug?

Options
  • 01-05-2009 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if it is "illegal" to sell an electrical product without a plug?, IE just a wire hanging off, in Ireland or UK? New or second hand?

Just seen someone selling electrical stuff on Ebay without any plugs attached.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's illegal to sell a new electrical product in Ireland without a three-pin standard Irish plug.

I don't think second-hand is covered by law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

seamus wrote: »
    It's illegal to sell a new electrical product in Ireland without a three-pin standard Irish plug.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

when did that law come in? Jus curious as I bought a DVD player about 2 years ago and was 2pin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Just seen someone selling electrical stuff on Ebay without any plugs attached.

If they are selling from outside Ireland, that law probably doesn't apply. It may not apply to private sellers in Ireland either, possibly only applies to businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I haven't got a clue, but it shouldn't be illegal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

AFAIK an exemption is "fixed appliances", e.g. a wall mounted heater intended to be permanently in place. I think in fact you are not allowed sell them with plugs attached.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I don't see the big deal if something comes without a plug, its not rocket science to wire a plug in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I'm sure if you were a fire officer you would have probably seen a fair bit of people just striping the wires back and putting them straight into the wall sockets rather than using a plug :pac:

In the days before plugs came as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Last time I saw electrical items for sale at an auction they all had their plugs removed. Most of the stuff was over 15 years old though. They all looked freshly cut as if the auction house had done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not a Consumer Issue.

Thread closed.

dudara

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement