Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Valu's 'Special' Offers

Options
  • 01-05-2009 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

:mad: Funny how their 'offers' (2 for €2 etc etc) never show up on the receipt. They've been at this for years and its time it stops imo.

:mad: People not checking their receipts have been overpaying for years.

:mad: Never an issue with any of the other supermarkets, all their offers scan through fine at the checkout as you'd expect.

So SuperValu, get it sorted...or else :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

So SuperValu, get it sorted...or else
    .....or else What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I must keep an eye out for this. Thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    .....or else What?

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭englander

Just check the receipt for normal items as well as special offers.

They have been at this for a long time. Every week there is something I have to take back for a refund - never an apology.
    THey are not quick to correct either.

This is Supervalu in loughboy that I am talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

they are at it for years,ive always checked and they always rip us off
    in tesco if you are overcharged you get the item free and youre money back,supervalue should take this aproach and sort themselves out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

Who would you complain to about this sort of hoodwinkery? In England, it would be Trading Standards at the Local Authority. Is there an equivalent in Ireland?

I just took a quick look at the Consumer Issues forum here and there's a thread about this. Seems it's not just the Super Valu in Loughboy that does this - it's happening all over the place :mad:

Nobody seems to know who to complain to though. I wonder would the Consumer Association of Ireland be able to do anything?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Seems to be a very common problem accroding to the Consumer Issues forum. Hardly any point in posting when there are so many threads about it, so I guess a search for advise?

I dont really shop in Super Valu so its not a big issue for me. :D

I don't shop a lot in Super Valu unless I'm over that end of town and need a few things. I'll be having second thoughts now or watching my receipt like a hawk. It's no harm to be made aware of what's going on. As someone pointed out, all those little "errors" could be making a supermarket a grand a week in profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,535 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I've caught the one in Callan doing that a couple of times, but I usually make sure to mention the BOGOF or half-price offers when I get to the till.
    It's often sloppiness when re-pricing and frankly, if I was working for the slave wages most s'marts pay I doubt I'd be too bothered.:eek:
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think we'ev had this discussion re Super Valu Loughboy before. A Tesco out that side would wipe the floor with them tbh. Wonder how long their false advertising/displaying of prices would last then!
    Only ever shop there if I'm desperate basically. Superquinn all the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Been back up there twice this week with receipts, ripped me off for over €20 on my last two weekly shops. (Yes I am a sucker for an offer :D ).

I've not shopped there long, but I won't be setting foot inside the door again. It's a kip of a place anyways, and the selection is awful.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not noticed but then I refuse to support Supervalue when it comes to doing my shopping

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Cabaal wrote: »
    Not noticed but then I refuse to support Supervalue when it comes to doing my shopping

+1

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

Supervalue Thomastown is also famous for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭nhg

About 2 or 3 weeks ago we were in Supervalue in Callan, we were buying 7up, twin pack was around €3.45, single bottles same size were €1.50 on the lable on the shelf, naturally proceeded to buy the single bottles, got to checkout and they clocked up €1.89 each so we just left them at the checkout - we went else where to buy the 7up.

Seemingly it happens alot in the store, price on lable at item on shelf alot cheaper than what they acutally charge for it.

Naturally, we don't do our big shop there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The one in Rathdowney is also famous for such shenanigans. So it is not just happening in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

sting operation needed...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

pueblo wrote: »
    sting operation needed...

To be fair, I'm sure there's enough people on here who are now aware that they are tea leaves and will inform enough people.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

Price Watch by Conor Pope in the Irish Times is very good at championing the consumers cause. Email him or contact him on his blog and I'm pretty sure he will highlight this issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

This is a long-term issue throughout a lot of stores and has not happened overnight. It must be included in their franchise 101 handbook :rolleyes:
    Considering SuperValu still have customers going through their front doors they probably wont be too worried either unless it gets national attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,535 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

nhg wrote: »
    About 2 or 3 weeks ago we were in Supervalue in Callan, we were buying 7up, twin pack was around €3.45, single bottles same size were €1.50 on the lable on the shelf, naturally proceeded to buy the single bottles, got to checkout and they clocked up €1.89 each so we just left them at the checkout - we went else where to buy the 7up.

Seemingly it happens alot in the store, price on lable at item on shelf alot cheaper than what they acutally charge for it.

Naturally, we don't do our big shop there.

That's normal for the Callan one - you often find individual items priced cheaper than the twin or triple packs and if you're fly for it you just protest at the till and get it at the cheap price. :)
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

i was overcharged in the ballyragget store - bought coco pops cos they were half price. Its only because i bought a couple of things that i noticed the wrong price was charged - if it was part of a big shop i wouldn't have copped it.
    Weird thing was, they charged a random price not the half price or the full price but something inbetween.

I was also overcharged in superquinn, bought 3 reduced items that went through at the full price - difference of €6 but only noticed cos i hadn't bought much else.

Its a pain cos you have to go back in the store - double check the shelf then find a supervisor and drag them to the shelf to prove your case and only then will they give you a refund:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Price Watch by Conor Pope in the Irish Times is very good at championing the consumers cause. Email him or contact him on his blog and I'm pretty sure he will highlight this issue.

Cheers for that, i'll definitely be contacting him about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mousehouse

I was in loughboy supervalu on Tuesday evening and after reading this thread was watching the prices on the shelves to what appeared on the till and none of the promotional items bought actually scanned as promotional.

They have an offer if you bought a bottle of orange juice you would get 4 yougurts free valued 2.29 but at the till they scanned 2.29 nothing free. Also guy in front of me was buying potatoes which were on offer for 4.49 but scanned at original price of 6.99 maybe they are hoping that you will buy the promotional items as part of a larger shop and not notice, I spoke with a manager who just refunded me the price of the yougurts and didnt even apologise.

I have just sent a email to Joe Duffy show and to Conor Pope, I dont know about you but these days I can do with the money in my pocket and not their tills.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

Y'know I've been having this exact same problem with the Loughboy store ever since I moved here a year ago. Took me months to actually realise. But its happened numerous times since so I make sure I check the receipt every time before leaving the shop now. A bloody disgrace. Makes me wonder how much they've actually made off me in my time shopping there. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

They have been doing it for years and they dont seem to care.
    I will only go there out of desperation now,I go to Lidl instead.
    Hopefully the new Lidl and Aldi will wipe them out completely:).
    Now you know why the country is banjaxed again,they cant compete so they resort to other measures.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭englander

Yes I've been having problems with this shop for years - Loughboy Supervalu. I go back there because its convenient to where I live (and I know to check my receipts)

Latest mispriced special offers today is Jacobs Creek red Wine - big yellow sign saying €6.00 but rings in at €6.99.

Ham was supposed to be 3 euro according to sign (even tho it had a 3.95 sticker on) - rang into till as 3.95.

So that adds up to €2.93 overcharged on the few items I bought (2 bottles of wine and ham). I went back and got it refunded. Did get an apology this time (which is unusual) but got the impression they weren't rushing to fix the price differential.

The worst I have almost been done out of on one item at Supervalu was shaving gel on special - and that was around €2.50 overcharged.

We need Tesco and Aldi - some real competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

hi5 wrote: »
    They have been doing it for years and they dont seem to care.
    I will only go there out of desperation now,I go to Lidl instead.
    Hopefully the new Lidl and Aldi will wipe them out completely:).
    Now you know why the country is banjaxed again,they cant compete so they resort to other measures.:(
    Just moved to KK and also shop at Lidl no and only go to Loughboy if really necessary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Kilkenny BADLY needs more supermarket competition. For a place of it's size it is sorely lacking in basic supermarkets; it's beyond a joke in my opinion.
    And that's how the likes of that dump in Loughboy can get away with it. Can't wait to see that ALDI open down the road from them. I jus cannot understand how there are not more supermarkets. It's crazy, Tullow with a population of about 3,000 has a Tesco, Aldi and a DECENT Super Valu (unlike that aforementioned Kip in Loughboy).

Advertisement