Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE B20 MCB

Options
  • 01-05-2009 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

When my house was rewired, I had the sparks leave provisions for a power supply to a shed (not built at the time).

He put a GE B20 on the board for the future shed and ran 6sq to a location at the back of the house.

Shed is now build and I need to get hooked up! Two questions that would be helpful....

1) I cant find any specs on the GE B20, but presume this is just a 20A MCB?
    2) Given that the panel in the house has an RCD, would it generally be required to have an additional one in the shed?
    3) Assuming (Yes/No) to questions 2, what is best practice for the consumer unit in the shed? Natually there will be 10a/20a MCB's for the lights and sockets, but is anything else needed?

Thanks,
    Jab

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

This thread covers wring sheds pretty well, with a board diagram also.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055538051

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

He put a GE B20 on the board for the future shed and ran 6sq to a location at the back of the house.
    That sounds like you picked a good sparks. It is great to see people thinking ahead.
    I cant find any specs on the GE B20, but presume this is just a 20A MCB?
    Yes. It is made by GE and is a "B type". For domestic use a B type is normal.
    Given that the panel in the house has an RCD, would it generally be required to have an additional one in the shed?
    That depends. If I was doing it and the shed required say 1 socket and 1 light only then I would be happy not to install a seperate RCD in the shed. But if the shed was to become a home office with 20 sockets and 6 lights etc. then I would install an additional RCD in the shed office.
    Assuming (Yes/No) to questions 2, what is best practice for the consumer unit in the shed? Natually there will be 10a/20a MCB's for the lights and sockets, but is anything else needed?
    As Davy said look at the other thread. The most important thing to do is establish what you requirements in the shed are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i would always go separate with the rcd/rcbos for shed for the sake of a tenner.also a b32 would be better as you have a 6sq and the b20 is derating the shed supply unneccessarily

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

Hi Guys,

Thanks everyone for the great info. Have everything I need now!

Decided to err on the side of caution and put separate rcbo in the shed.

2010, interestingly enough it was not the sparks idea to make provisions....his suggestion was that he would come back when the shed was built and run in the supply! It was me who insisted on the supply terminated on the back of the house for future ease!

All sorted today, first fix complete. Drylined and slabed. Plastering next week hopefully!

Cheers,
    Jab

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Decided to err on the side of caution and put separate rcbo in the shed.
    That sounds like the correct decision because if you are drylining etc. it sounds less like a shed and more like an extra room.
    interestingly enough it was not the sparks idea to make provisions....his suggestion was that he would come back when the shed was built and run in the supply! It was me who insisted on the supply terminated on the back of the house for future ease!
    Fair play to you. Most people dont think that far ahead. This will have saved you money and time.

Good luck with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

Thanks 2011.
    Jab

No bother.

Advertisement