Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What exactly is burning when your pan flames up?

• 02-05-2009 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

I've been having some fun lately shaking the pan over the gas cooker.

Just wondering what's the science behind the pan flaming up. Is it fat that's burning?

And is this a bad cooking technique? Does it adversely affect the end product/flavour?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

It is fat that's burning. When sautéing food, the moisture or steam released from the food combines with some fat droplets, suspending them and carrying them up, which in turn catch fire and burst into flame.

It's not a bad technique once you observe proper safety rules, and also don't do it underneath an extractor fan. It won't adversely affect the end product, once you are cooking food suitable for sautéing, i.e. that don't require a prolonged cooking time, that are too big to toss, etc. Just don't go sticking your head over the pan for a whiff :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

I've been having some fun lately shaking the pan over the gas cooker.

Just wondering what's the science behind the pan flaming up. Is it fat that's burning?

And is this a bad cooking technique? Does it adversely affect the end product/flavour?

On the contrary it can be quite a good cooking technique as it can add colour and flavour to what you are cooking. If you are making a sauce with alcohol in it, you should flame or flambe it to burn off the alcohol content.

Advertisement