Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fans

• 02-05-2009 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭

Just wondering, Which franchise do you guys think has the most support worldwide?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Its one of the Dallas Cowboys, Pats or Dolphins i reckon. Neither of the NY teams have imo ever had the brand name QB(okay there was Broadway Joe but that was yonkes ago) who generally brings in fans first and for most, so people who look at NY first and foremost wouldn't have seen that unmistakable brand like the Yankees. The Cowboys are instantly recognisable,they are everywhere in pop culture, sucessful history and most people know them,so they have a shout i reckon. The Dolphins had Marino who brought them a lot of fans. The Pats i reckon atm...they really do have a lot of fans in the UK and Ireland,their success, Brady ect sets them over the rest at this time imo. Of course the 85 Bears and the Fridge, the 49ers with Montana would be known and have got a few fans back in the 80s around the world when the american football boom happened. Pats for me though are the biggest global team. Should be somewhere more glamourous like Buffallo though imo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'd the cowboys/phins/packers/Raiders would be the most known about teams, i.e if you asked some randomer to name an nfl team they be the most answered. Support is very hard to say. The Pats bandwagon is rolling quite well, just look at this forum where it's majority Pat fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

I'd the cowboys/phins/packers/Raiders would be the most known about teams, i.e if you asked some randomer to name an nfl team they be the most answered. Support is very hard to say. The Pats bandwagon is rolling quite well, just look at this forum where it's majority Pat fans.

Chucky I would add 49ers to your list.

The most successful teams are always going to have large bandwagons. I know tons of Bears fans because of the 80's but they are guys 30+. I know alot of 49ers fans and PAckers fans and even Broncos fans. But the Patriots I find from even running my website looking at ages the majority are newbies to the sport and of course its easy to pick the best team in any sport look at Man Utd best supported team outside their own city :D

Age old argument defining a bandwagon. For me its folk who say they support the team becuase they are the best but spend very little time getting to know anything about the team bar one or two obvious players and facts. Now if a kid picks the Pats and then learns their history and knows everything about them and then goes one step further and understands the game fully well then they have baptised themselves a fan of football and the Patriots next step go to Foxboro :D

But asking randomers I find these days depends on their age on what team they will give you. Older guys will always give you the ones Chucky mentioned. But anything below 25 you will most likely here Patriots, Jets, Chargers, Dolphins Raiders, Steelers, Giants, Colts and the reason i find when you ask them how they know you get alot of travelling being one of the reasons especially with the J1 folk and then modern media coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Chucky I would add 49ers to your list.

The most successful teams are always going to have large bandwagons. I know tons of Bears fans because of the 80's but they are guys 30+. I know alot of 49ers fans and PAckers fans and even Broncos fans. But the Patriots I find from even running my website looking at ages the majority are newbies to the sport and of course its easy to pick the best team in any sport look at Man Utd best supported team outside their own city :D

Age old argument defining a bandwagon. For me its folk who say they support the team becuase they are the best but spend very little time getting to know anything about the team bar one or two obvious players and facts. Now if a kid picks the Pats and then learns their history and knows everything about them and then goes one step further and understands the game fully well then they have baptised themselves a fan of football and the Patriots next step go to Foxboro :D

But asking randomers I find these days depends on their age on what team they will give you. Older guys will always give you the ones Chucky mentioned. But anything below 25 you will most likely here Patriots, Jets, Chargers, Dolphins Raiders, Steelers, Giants, Colts and the reason i find when you ask them how they know you get alot of travelling being one of the reasons especially with the J1 folk and then modern media coverage.

I was going to add 49ers, but I think since there "prime" time has been so far back I'm sure they've lost some of those fans, especially since there fall from grace has been so epic. At least with the cowboys they still manage to make the play-offs/produce a winning record. Age group definitely plays a huge part of it. The Raiders were big around my age time due to the West coast LA rap affinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Lirange

The Skins are probably the most popular team in the UK (historically).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

The most successful teams are always going to have large bandwagons.
    I'll be expecting a whole generation of Colts fans in a few years then so:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

They did a survey a few years ago that showed what the most popular team in the UK was. It might be a bit outdated since it was made in 2007 but it's the closest thing I could find to the OP's question!. I'd post the link but it's dead unfortunately
    Patriots 8.5%
    Dolphins 8.2%
    49ers 6.1%
    Redskins 5.8%
    Packers 5.6%
    Raiders 5.4%
    Eagles 4.9%
    Giants 4.7%
    Cowboys 4.3%
    Bears 4.1%
    Bucs 4.0%
    Broncos 3.6%
    Rams 3.5%
    Steelers 3.0%
    Falcons 2.8%
    Seahawks 2.6%
    Jets 2.6%
    Colts 2.4%
    Vikings 2.3%
    Titans 1.7%
    Browns 1.7%
    Bengals 1.6%
    Ravens 1.6%
    Bills 1.4%
    Panthers 1.4%
    Chiefs 1.1%
    Chargers 0.9%
    Lions 0.9%
    Jaguars 0.7%
    No Affiliation 0.7%
    Cards 0.6%
    Saints 0.6%
    Texans 0.6

A lot of things could have changed though perhaps a bigger rise in Cardinals fans ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭ArmCandyBaby

I always thought it was the Cowboys because if you google "NFL", the subheadings that appear under NFL.com go:

Scores, Teams, Fantasy, Standings, Videos, Schedules, Dallas Cowboys, Postseason.

I'm not sure what that's based on if anything at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

They're big in America, definitely, but I would've thought that the Dolphins, the Raiders, the 49ers and the Pats were the biggest just from people's caps and stuff.

Of course, it's impossible to tell accurately, because I'm sure a lot of Americans who have never watched soccer in their lives would tell you Manchester United was their favourite soccer team if they were pressed to name one. Doesn't mean they actually support them in any active way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

i definitely would've said the expansion franchises would have little or no support due to them not being around when NFL was actually popular over here, I know two Lions fans, oddly enough, neither has bought a jersey since Barry Sanders though:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

i definitely would've said the expansion franchises would have little or no support due to them not being around when NFL was actually popular over here, I know two Lions fans, oddly enough, neither has bought a jersey since Barry Sanders though:D

Detroit Lions are not even popular in Michigan anymore :D:D:D

Advertisement