Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headford traffic lights

Options
  • 02-05-2009 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Have ye seen the new traffic lights in Headford? Great that they are there, but could do with a feeder going left (coming out of galway) and going right the opposite way.

Luckily don't have to pass at rush hour. Is it causing much of a tailback?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

New traffic lights came into operation today. Noel Dempsey did the biz. Cllr. Michael Carey said a few weeks back that they would lead to motorists using local rat runs. Haven't come across them yet but it will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

Great for people trying to get out from school road there and people coming up the town and trying to go straight through or right. Also for people trying to cross on foot. Think the rat-run through the mart will be closed more often now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

I have used the junction multiple times over the weekend and have to say it is a big improvement.

It can't be any worse at peak (school) time than it was before they were installed and it should be a lot safer 24/7 there now. Numerous accidents there over the years.

As for the councillor talking about people having to use local rat runs-what did he suggest was a better alternative? The top of the town there is way too small for a roundabout which can be used by articulated trucks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Anybody got any pics I like to keep up to date with what is going on in Headford?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dublin2galway

Not the best shots ever, but at least lets you see where they are placed. This is from a car parked across from Joyces (outside the library)

h2.jpg

I think the lights are great. Slight delay coming out from Galway, but a lot lot lot safer. A lot of folks didn't seem to know the rules of the road when turning right at the crossroads and with a school there it was a disgrace not having pedestrian crossings. Only gripe I have is that the road markings could be a bit better - clearer for motorists coming from Galway what lane is for where.

• Advertisement

Actually, just found this: http://www.headfordonline.com/2009/05/the-new-traffic-lights/

They have a better photo than mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Thanks for the photos :D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 AJE

great pic, it is just like i'm heading to shop in joyces (did you see their latest flyer?? 1109 euro for 10 items now 809 euro saving 300 euro. Pat must be fuming :D )

traffic lights are a great improvement to headford, they work ok(ish) during rush hour too but they are great for school times for the kids to cross the road. As someone who was hit by a car close by the crossroads i am also glad they are kinda slowing down traffic

also hi to arginite, i do believe you are jos. hope life is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SUN19

if you bought everything in joyces new mailer thats how much you would save. i'm ashamed to say we added it up at work the other day!!! lol

SUN19 wrote: »
    if you bought everything in joyces new mailer thats how much you would save. i'm ashamed to say we added it up at work the other day!!! lol

I want your job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

leex wrote: »
    As for the councillor talking about people having to use local rat runs-what did he suggest was a better alternative?

Exactly! It's all well and good objecting to things and criticising things if you have an alternative idea but if Mr Councillor has no better solution, he need not bother objecting!

Advertisement