Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken washing machine in rented apartment...

Options
  • 02-05-2009 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭

Mods, please move if this is in the wrong category, not sure where it would go...

Hi everyone, kinda freaking out about this cause I've never had something like it happen... I just moved into a new apartment last month and I'm meeting the landlord(s) in person next week, but haven't dealt with them up to now.

Yesterday, we have a load of clothes in the washing machine and near the end of the cycle, I heard a very loud bang. When I went in to check it, the washing machine wasn't spinning and I can hear rattling noises all the time - I emptied it out but it won't spin at all now, you can't even push it by hand...

Am I right to consider this the landlord's responsibility to get resolved? I mean, we didn't break the machine by doing anything to it and it was probably already on the way out by the time we moved in (though it doesn't look that old). Or should I expect to be blamed here? As I said, for all I know, the landlords could be great about it (I'll call them after the Bank holiday weekend) but I just wanted to get any opinions on what to expect really... Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭anonymousjunkie

Landlords responsibility. Sounds like the drum is banjaxed, probably need a new machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Thanks. And yeah, managed to spin the drum a bit by hand today, the heating element seems to have exploded :eek: and totally pierced one side of the drum...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Report it to the landlord immediately.
    If its a new apartment- the washing machine is probably still well within its warranty period, in all probability you'll have a new machine in 12-14 days.

Report it immediately though. Even if you overloaded the washing machine- it certainly shouldn't explode.

Point to note- overloading a washing machine is very much a false economy- the clothes will not wash properly, probably won't spin properly, and it screws up the programme settings (particularly temperature)- which means you can get colour runs etc

Thanks, I've left a message for them so hopefully they'll get back to me - and that's just it, we didn't even overload it or anything, so I can't see how something like this happened - I'm just thankful nothing more serious came of it (fire or short circuiting, etc)...

Thanks for the advice lads - the landlord was very nice about the whole thing, got the relevant serial/model numbers from me and somebody will be out to check it out on Wednesday to fix/replace it. It is indeed still within warranty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement