Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Returning to training after a sprained ankle

• 02-05-2009 11:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just looking for a bit of advice. I sprained my ankle 2 months ago and it is pretty much back to normal now except for the odd twinge and weakness. The Doctor said it would be fine to start running/playing football again, but I am still terrified of pushing it too hard at the start and injuring myself all over again as I have already missed the start of the GAA season through my own stupidity and don't want to miss anymore!

I need to get my (admittedly woeful) fitness levels back up and thought I would hit the gym for a few weeks before returning to football. I was wondering what sort of exercise I should be doing to start off with? Is it wise to start jogging straight away or would that be too high impact on the ankle? Should I hit the cross trainer in the gym? Bike?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Ok I'm no physio (that's who you should talk to btw!) but I'd imagine the most risky thing to be doing right now is turning on it.

Have you been to a physio, or just a doctor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Just the doctor. That was why I thought I'd get into the gym and give it a bit of time before footballing - as that seemed the riskiest option for falling over on it or twisting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭FishTaco

I tore ligaments in my ankle in september and its a right bitch getting back into running etc afterwards. Have you been to a physio? If not you should really go just to get it checked. Mine gave me a whole programme of exercises to build the supporting muscles back up and improve the ankles support.

When you get back into exercising, cycling is one of the best things to if you don't feel up to the running. It gives you a good workout and you're unlikely to further damage the ankle just pushing a pedal around. When you start running again don't just jump straight back into football or GAA or whatever, take time doing boring, basic laps and stuff and then introduce stuff with more mild turning and bending on the ankle. Only start to fully participate in the sport after your sure the ankle is strong enough again. It's far to easy to mess the whole thing up again very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Monkey61 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just looking for a bit of advice. I sprained my ankle 2 months ago and it is pretty much back to normal now except for the odd twinge and weakness. The Doctor said it would be fine to start running/playing football again, but I am still terrified of pushing it too hard at the start and injuring myself all over again as I have already missed the start of the GAA season through my own stupidity and don't want to miss anymore!

I need to get my (admittedly woeful) fitness levels back up and thought I would hit the gym for a few weeks before returning to football. I was wondering what sort of exercise I should be doing to start off with? Is it wise to start jogging straight away or would that be too high impact on the ankle? Should I hit the cross trainer in the gym? Bike?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055296782

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

Sounds like you should get yourself to a physio TBH. They will be better able to assess the problem, recovery time and any exercises you should be doing.

you seemed to have been out of action for a long time for a sprain. I just did mine at the start of the week for the third time in 2months. Had never been to a doctor or physio the first few times, but went this week. She gave me a few exercises to do to improve the ankle strength and flexibility and gave it a good going over to break down scar tissue. She expects me to be jogging next weekend, sprinting the week after and back playing soccer as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement