Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would be a good phone for my brother?

• 02-05-2009 11:34am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My brother was looking to get a good, reliable phone. He specifically doesn't want anything that looks flashy in the shop but eventually doesn't work well (e.g freezing, restarting randomly, not holding charge)

He had a Nokia 6234, which worked well for a while, but after about 2 years the battery started dying out, he replaced it, it worked but then it started freezing randomly and eventually the power button wouldn't function so he couldn't turn it back on. (As a side note I have the same type of phone which I bought before him and I have had no problems with it)

So now it is time for him to buy a new phone. He was going to get the Nokia 5310, but decided not to once some of his friends and reviews on the internet said the phone was 'flimsy' and it froze after a few months of usage. (A pity because the phone and the price suited what he was after). He then was going to get the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic as he thought it was €280 but it was actually €349 in Vodafone and €300 in o2. He didn't in the end.

What phone would you recommend for him - on that will last a long time, and won't break on the slightest fall.
    What he wants:
    • Space for a microSD card (He has a Sandisk 1gb already, but if it comes with more, then that's better again)
    • 3.5mm audio jack (so he isn't limited to the headphones that come with it)
    • At least a 2 megapixel camera/video
    • Bluetooth
    • Preferably below €250
    He says he likes Nokias the best, although I advised him not to limit himself like that

What would be the best phone in terms of lasting long, value for money, features etc.?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

If he's willing to go online I'd say the N82. Top top phone, durable and Nokia UK were selling them off for 200 stg if you know anyone in UK/NI.
    Utherwise e8ay, he'll have change from €200. Get a black one ;)

other Nokias with 3mm jack are 6220 classic, any N series.

E series are the best built Nokias - they tend to look a bit businessy. If that's OK then the E63 fits spec but has qwerty.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Wow, the N82 looks really good - pity it can't be bought in shops but we haven't ruled out online buying. If you buy a phone online, what do you do if it needs to be repaired or something (normally you'd just go into a shop).

Nokia UK says the N82 is out of stock. We looked at the 6220 classic today in the shop - it looked good but it's expensive considering it doesn't have WiFi (not a requirement for my brother though) and it has a 2.5mm jack, not a 3.5mm, which is annoying as you need to have an adaptor/dongle to be able to plug standard headphones in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

If you buy a phone online, what do you do if it needs to be repaired or something (normally you'd just go into a shop).

Nokia have a Europe-wide warranty based on just the handset. There are a few places that will fix it - you just bring in the phone and if it's less than 2 (?) years old they'll fix it.
    We looked at the 6220 classic today in the shop ... it has a 2.5mm jack, not a 3.5
    Sure you weren't looking at the 6120 ?

And that, dear readers, brings up 1000 posts for yours truly ! :-) :-) :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

long_b wrote: »
    Sure you weren't looking at the 6120 ?

And that, dear readers, brings up 1000 posts for yours truly ! :-) :-) :-)

The 6220 classic does have a 2.5mm connection. And congratulations :)

Advertisement