Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reducing body fat %

• 02-05-2009 12:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I was wondering if anyone could recommend some foods I should be eating to reduce my body fat %. My usual daily diet would consist of;

Cereal in the morning (cornflakes and milk)
    Lunch could be tuna (yeah I eat fish!) and bread, or cheese and bread, something simple enough.
    I'd usually eat a bit of chocolate or a couple of biscuits at some point during the day.
    Dinner is usually healthy. The odd time (less than once a week) I'd have a Thai or Fallafel or something.

I used to drink a few beers most nights of the week which is where the extra fat has come from I guess, but I've now started cutting that back to like 2 nights a week or something. I don't drink that much compared to a lot of people, maybe 4 beers in a night or so.

So my impression is that my diet is not really healthy but not really bad either. I don't know much about diet and calories and everything so any advice is appreciated :)

edit: fwiw, I'm 26, 5' 11", and around 76kg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Dovers

This should be moved to the fitness forum, you will get advice there and there are numerous posts on exactly this. On the face of it I would say your diet needs quite a bit of work to be honest. If you're drinking that much beer forget about reducing body fat my friend full of empty calories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Dovers wrote: »
    This should be moved to the fitness forum, you will get advice there and there are numerous posts on exactly this. On the face of it I would say your diet needs quite a bit of work to be honest. If you're drinking that much beer forget about reducing body fat my friend full of empty calories.

Well I thought people here would have a better idea for food suggestions since I'm vegetarian, I was hoping for some meal ideas etc. But I don't mind if it is moved really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Moved to Nutrition and Diet Forum

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Cianos wrote: »
    So my impression is that my diet is not really healthy but not really bad either.

Well lets think about that for a second, if your diet is not healthy, then it's unhealthy, and that's always bad.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Cianos wrote: »
    Well I thought people here would have a better idea for food suggestions since I'm vegetarian, I was hoping for some meal ideas etc. But I don't mind if it is moved really.

No you're a pescetarian. ;p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

You're a normal weight for your height so I suspect you need to eat more protein and to gain some muscle. This increases your metabolism and thus decreases body fat. Ask in fitness.
    You need protein in every meal. You don't get enough protein.
    Breakfast- include eggs from time to time and eat porridge most days
    lunch- tuna is fine
    dinner- you need to make more effort

My favourite dinners are:

chickpea korma (just tinned chickpeas, frozen spinach, mange tout coconut milk, spices from asian shop)
    green lentil madras (sauce from a jar + veg + boiled/tin lentils, boiled)
    red kidney bean rogan josh/ madras (tin beans + veg + jar sauce)
    chilli made with red kidney beans instead of beef
    red lentils in veg soup (lentils, carrot, onion, frozen peas etc, stock cube + herbs boiled)
    mixed bean salad (love it with vinegar and sugar dressing, or garlic sauce)
    tofu stir fry with rice/noodles
    tofu soaked in soy sauce and chilli flakes microwaved, when I'm lazy, plus salad or veg of some sort
    Spanish omelette (yesterday's boiled potato, onion, eggs, herbs, pepper, fried)

None of these take long to make at all.

Advertisement