Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychology of sexual attraction

• 02-05-2009 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭

Hi Guys, I'm a newbie in this forum so I hope this is appropriate. I'm keen on psychology, but have never studied it. It fascinates me to hear about psychological traits influencing behaviour, and I like to look at people around me and wonder why they are the way they are. So here's my situation:

I'm a 21 year old man, and I've noticed that when I'm attracted to women, I tend to build them up in my mind, and see them as perfect, or at least I don't see their imperfections.
    Once I 'get' them, be it kiss them, sleep with them or enter into a serious relationship, these flaws start to become glaringly obvious, and, in fact, become the main thing I focus on.

Now, I'm not looking for help with this, I'm happy enough with how my life is, and I'm very able to accept flaws in a person. In fact it's usually the flaws that I fall in love with. I'm just curious as to what this is- is there a name for it? Also, what causes it? My untrained opinion is that I have some kind of inner confidence problem, and before I get someone they're too good, when I get them they're not good enough.

Oh, and I'm not talking exclusively about physical flaws, I mean anything, but a lot of the time it is the physical ones I notice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

You overanalyse the situation. Most people don't look for flaws in their partners - they just see them as regular people that they enjoy being with. i'm nolt saying that you intentionally look for flaws but - due to the fact that you overanalyse - the truth is easier to find for you (the truth being that nobody is perfect). This notion of perfection is what - I believe - is partly to blame for the rise in eating disorders. Girls see pictures in magzines of the 'ideal' figure and these images have been airbushed to the extreme. in reality, nobody is like that.

Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭BertrandMeyer

You might wanna rethink that post a little. I dunno. Men pay good money to watch women wrestle in mud. "You'd never do that back home." That's what Chamberlain was reported to have said after his returning from talks with Hitler.

Love the Futurama reference, btw...

Advertisement