Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Rose

Options
  • 02-05-2009 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

I just read in the paper that Charlene Anderson is Sligo Rose. She is a great looking girl and by the sounds of it really intelligent with a good career. I hope she does really well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

http://oceanfm.ie/news/2009/05/01/alternative-sligo-rose-of-tralee-chosen/

looks like the end of the line for her..pity!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

She checked that her age was okay with the Sligo judges and they said it was, now the head panel in Trallee are saying it's not.

I have all kinds of rage.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Rage is a strong emotion to associate with a beauty pageant, I would have thought? Hate to see how annoyed you get at sports. Or war.:eek::D

il gatto wrote: »
    Rage is a strong emotion to associate with a beauty pageant, I would have thought? Hate to see how annoyed you get at sports. Or war.:eek::D

Anything where the people supposed to be running it don't even know their own rules angers me. I hate people being screwed with and that's what happened here - THEY made a mistake and now she is the one penalised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

What age is she? I would have thought about 26 or 27.

• Advertisement

She turned 28 two days before the contest - they spoke about it while she was on stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

That is such crap.

There really shouldn't be an upper age limit at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

That's completely daft.I'd be pretty annoyed if it was me.

When she won, she donated the prize money to the charity on the night,what if the runner-up who was then promoted didn't want to donate the money to charity, does that mean the charity would have to give back the money?
    Rage:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

/stumbles into the 1950's

/stumbles out again. Quick.

Yeah, I've no idea what's gonna happen with the prize money. They've really made a big mess for themselves. And now she has to spend the next week with her face on the front of the local papers, how crap is that gonna feel?

Gah, I'm so disgusted with the whole bloomin thing.

• Advertisement

:p I know, that was my first reaction. But it raises a lot of money for charity, and if people have a bit of craic raising money, where's the harm? That was how Charlene was looking at it She and most of the other Sligo entrants all do or have done a lot of fundraising and stuff - lots of them do the women's marathon for instance.

could you go back and pick me up a cute apron?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Whether she was disqualified or not, they all have lovely bottoms!

71226287_b622a6daf6.jpg?v=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Why is there an issue of age at all? The contest is essentially based on her looks and therefore it is irreleant how old she is surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Not just looks though,I'd say personality plays a big part.

But yes I agree, why does age matter at all, she obviously has it in her to win the Sligo Rose regardless of age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 funboy

Charlene Anderson obviously applied to be the rose of Tralee. The criteria is clearly set out with the application which can be found on the net. She would have known she was overage on applying and deserves no sympathy for duping her way through the sligo heat embarassing the whole competition not to mention herself and family. As for charity work . . . . what charity work. . . . .marathons . . . .i dont think so ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 funboy

bobcar61 wrote: »

When she won, she donated the prize money to the charity on the night,what if the runner-up who was then promoted didn't want to donate the money to charity, does that mean the charity would have to give back the money?

obviously charlene should have to give it back.. . . . .it wasn hers in the first place . . . .maybe there should be no upper age limit but there is and it is clearly explained in the application form . . . .check it out if ya dont believe me

Well I know she specifically asked the panel in Sligo about her age, I guess she was confused by the application. She certainly didn't try to dupe anyone and allegations to that effect are highly slanderous. If the judging panel themselves don't understand the criteria, then to accuse a competitor of duplicity because they didn't is creating serious double standards.

As to the 1,000euro, no-one is suggesting that she keep it herself. The question is will SHOUT, the charity it was donated to, be expected to return it so it can be given to the new Rose, or will she get a different 1,000, or none, or what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Ony Me

fozzle wrote: »
    She turned 28 two days before the contest - they spoke about it while she was on stage.

Her AGE was not discussed on stage!

If you're wondering who it is .... it's Ony Me!

Technically speaking ... Yes!

If you're wondering who it is ... it's Ony Me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Ony Me wrote: »

I wasn't really , Your username was a bit of a giveaway

Her AGE was not discussed on stage!

If you're wondering who it is .... it's Ony Me!
    Technically speaking ... Yes!

Go to 'User CP' in top-menu and click 'Edit Signature' under 'Settings and Options' if you want to put this at the end of all your posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Sweet Cheeks

Why is there an issue of age at all? The contest is essentially based on her looks and therefore it is irreleant how old she is surely?

Women are pretty much washed up once they hit 25. The age limited should be lowered to 25 in my opinion. /runs/fast/runs fast/very far away/

Women are pretty much washed up once they hit 25. The age limited should be lowered to 25 in my opinion. /runs/fast/runs fast/very far away/
    Jaysus.. with that sorta comment, you better run even quicker than that.

And go to another country, and find a dark room to hide in, with no windows or doors! :)

basquille wrote: »
    Go to 'User CP' in top-menu and click 'Edit Signature' under 'Settings and Options' if you want to put this at the end of all your posts.

I think you need a certain amount of posts before adding a sig?

This is the weirdest thread I've ever seen here. All we need now is the parish priest and we're laughing.

*cracks knuckles*

(and I'm only 23!)

Not just looks though,I'd say personality plays a big part.

But yes I agree, why does age matter at all, she obviously has it in her to win the Sligo Rose regardless of age.

Yep, it genuinely is a bit of both .... yes, looks to a certain degree but major amounts of personality is also required!

Why does age matter? A very valid point indeed. Personally I believe it shouldn't matter and this case proves the need to look at the rules and does open another debate!!!

I'll open the can of worms in a moment but I would like to remind you that AGE in this case was not discussed on stage.

It's can of worms time! .... If this was a job scenario I would forecast some sort of tribunal. Is it even legal to restrict an adult competition by age? If so what would be the criteria and reasoning? In this case it could be based on tradition but it does beg another question - should this part of the criteria be abandoned? Before all sympathisers chime in with a 'yes' - Would we be impressed to see Granny up there?

I'm grasping around in the dark here but has anyone else over-age ever got so far before?? Or is this the first case?? If so .... well .... is it even legal to prevent someone from winning this type of competition based solely on age when, in this example the person was judged to be a worthy winner (as pointed out by another poster) based on all other set down criteria? Or should tradition win the day .... remember it's a bit of heritage and does everything nowadays really have to be changed to become politically correct?

Now, off topic which seems to not be an issue on this board - if you're still wondering who it is .... it's Ony Me!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Sweet Cheeks

basquille wrote: »
    Jaysus.. with that sorta comment, you better run even quicker than that.

And go to another country, and find a dark room to hide in, with no windows or doors! :)

pity theres more than a hint of truth to it! I understand why they have the 28 age, they want woman in their youth prime and in my opinion thats between 21 and 25. But thats only my opinion after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Xiney wrote: »
    *cracks knuckles*

I don't know why you're cracking your knuckles - you're safe for another 2 years...

• Advertisement

I don't know why you're cracking your knuckles - you're safe for another 2 years...

She's doing it for the old crones. The old crones are lolling.

I was asked to enter that "competition"... 400 years ago when I was "in my prime". I lolled then too.

Mad stuff.

Advertisement