Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheapest leaflet printing on the internet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

I am pleasantly surprised by Quinns - I thought Online in Germany would be hard to beat, it looks like quinns are there. :)

Kaizen Print in Belfast were mentioned to be recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Just got delivery of 5000 gloss full colour folded 6 page DL (folded fron A4) for Euro 138 all in from Quinns. Perfect job fantastic service and value!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Fantastic Peter - I am going to use them for as much items as possible now - prices are great and quality is from reports excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Amazing what people will overlook when it comes to shady pasts up north, business ethics my hoop. All about the bottom line eh chaps? Great to see people undermining their own economy and customer base for a few quid. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

minikin wrote: »
    Amazing what people will overlook when it comes to shady pasts up north, business ethics my hoop. All about the bottom line eh chaps? Great to see people undermining their own economy and customer base for a few quid. :rolleyes:

What exactly is it you're implying? thread carefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Hanley wrote: »
    What exactly is it you're implying? thread carefully.

I believe Minikin is in the printing business in the south and would prefer to see us spend our money here - albeit at higher prices.

The printing industry here has been decimated due to VAT charges that don't apply to printers in other parts of Europe.

They are caught between a rock and a hard place - they need to invest to buy the lastest kit that will achieve the fastest turnarounds/cheapest prices but can't due to lack of cash.

I'm afraid you'll have to do your own research there Hanley! Certain people in the industry up north have a bit of a name for being, lets say, formerly big in the voluntary sector.

The fact that people choose to put their neighbour (potential customer) on the dole here, to save a few quid is completely shortsighted. Yes, I am in the industry, not a competitor of these chaps in the UK in terms of scale, but certainly affected by it.

I lost my job a year ago as the printing company I worked for liquidated, I chose to go into business, creating two more jobs and about to create a third next week as there was no prospect of employment (existing companies carrying too much debt to be sustainable).

In the last year I have spent the guts of 50k on equipment, looking to drop another 20k in the coming months and an awful lot on stock, consumables and services IN THIS ECONOMY... When you support any local business you are also supporting all those companies who supply the local business.

How can I do this? Because my clients know that low prices don't necessarily mean great value. I do a lot of work for people who tried the vista print route and now want a proper service as they recognise that badly designed cheap cards are the equivalent of arriving at a sales meeting in a home made suit. FIRST IMPRESSIONS LAST.

Printers are also your consumers. I got married last year and used a hotel, the band and suit hire company that I do printing work for. They immediately made back more than they have spent with me to date. How many of your Internet based print companies will buy something from you or indeed give a personal recommendation about you to their wide circle of clients. There is no more effective networking than word of mouth.

On a side note, the few remaining big print houses may be able to price match some of these foreign companies if you ask nicely.

I'm about to commission a website dev and design, I certainly won't be using those companies that I know are outsourcing print work to the UK.

Think on that the next time you decide to 'economise'... For the want of the nail the shoe was lost...

As an Irish manufacturer of B2B products I absolutely empathise with your points but the sad reality is that we must be able to compete with allcomers to our market on every aspect...... price, quality and service.
    As an exporter, I am that guy selling in someone else's "home" market in the UK, Germany, France Spain etc etc. I have to have competitive pricing, quality and service to win any business there and have a hope of making a profit!
    To be bluntly honest, if one cannot even compete in one's market, you are in the wrong business or have a bad business model that will not survive, This is the law of the business jungle and in Ireland, the market is grossly over serviced with print capacity, just as we are with car dealers and lots of other supplies that have low barriers to entry. Those who innovate and bring forward low cost business models are the ones that will survive.

As a buyer, I will always buy Irish as long as it repesents at least equal overall value to the competition. if imports are better value, then they get the business. My responsibility is to manage/minimise my operating costs, not to support some inefficient local supplier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 389 ✭✭micromary

Well Peterdalkey if you looked around then you will find good deals to be got from Irish printers who have a good reputation and who offer good customer service as well ie Advantage Printers. So don't give me crap that you have to go up North to do get good value printing done. Obviously coming from Dalkey you can well afford it whereas others can't.

micromary wrote: »
    Well Peterdalkey if you looked around then you will find good deals to be got from Irish printers who have a good reputation and who offer good customer service as well ie Advantage Printers. So don't give me crap that you have to go up North to do get good value printing done. Obviously coming from Dalkey you can well afford it whereas others can't.

Sadly the actual figures in this case do not back up your waffle.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 389 ✭✭micromary

Waffle????? Go over mr.know it all and give us the figures. All I know is that I have got my figures in order and am very happy with the deal I got and did not go far to get it either. I am all about getting the best deal and supporting Irish business in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

To weigh in on this, I get quite a decent bit of printing done and have used companies in Ireland, NI and Germany.. For larger jobs I tend to use the likes of Quinns and Onlineprinters as I can't justify paying extra €€'s to get the job done in Ireland.. and we're not talking about €50-100, we're looking at a couple of €1000 cheaper... For smaller runs and urgent jobs I use local printers... Business wise I treat Irish companies the same way I do when making purchases for myself. If I can get it at near enough the same price here I will, if the prices here are way off I go abroad...

micromary wrote: »
    Waffle????? Go over mr.know it all and give us the figures. All I know is that I have got my figures in order and am very happy with the deal I got and did not go far to get it either. I am all about getting the best deal and supporting Irish business in the process.

Waffle; Yes indeed.
    1. The thread title is "cheapest leaflet printing on the internet", the company you quote does not even offer online print or quotations.
    2. You offer no comparative figures but before I bought I had direct comparative numbers before awarding this particular job. As it was for a a friends new business start up, price was very important indeed. Job delivered on time, quality is exactly as per spec. Saving just under 50%.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 3sixty

The sad fact is that irish printers are very expensive.

Look at snap printing for instance. Crazy ridiculous prices. Anybody that buys off snap would need their head examined. Hence, why a few of their branches have closed.

Then we have printers on this thread complaining about people not shopping local.

@minikin do you have a snap franchise by any chance ?

The sad fact is that irish printers are very expensive.

Look at snap printing for instance. Crazy ridiculous prices. Anybody that buys off snap would need their head examined. Hence, why a few of their branches have closed.

Then we have printers on this thread complaining about people not shopping local.

@minikin do you have a snap franchise by any chance ?

1. Total generalisation - some printers are some printers aren't.
    2. Completely agree with you.
    3. So you're invalidating everyone's argument on the basis of the most expensive example you can find?
    4. Absolutely not - I'm a completely independent operator.

Ironically one of my new clients has just collected their business cards for a sales event in Belfast tonight, he arrived in this morning with his pdf (which required amendments). Haggled on the price and left very happy this evening.

250 high quality duplex matt laminated business cards, same day turnaround for €40+vat (after a haggle)
    Good luck trying to haggle with your website.
    Good luck trying to get a same day service.
    Good luck trying to get design advice or a redesign from any of these UK companies.
    Is that 'very expensive' 3sixty?

The difference between us apparently 'inefficient local suppliers' as Peter put it and some website is that WE GIVE A DAMN ABOUT THE CLIENT. If building working relationship is of no value to you then keep doing what you're doing Peter, when you're in a hole because your online provider or their courier has let you down don't go crying to your local printer.

Some people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
    You get what you pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Good luck trying to get design advice or a redesign from any of these UK companies.

Bit of a contradiction there. You're generalising there as well. I have order various printed goods from American, Irish and British suppliers.

With the Belfast company I got same day delivery to Dublin and haggled on price. I also got design advice from a company in Birmingham who did a bit of editing for me for free.

2. Completely agree with you.
    3. So you're invalidating everyone's argument on the basis of the most expensive example you can find?
    4. Absolutely not - I'm a completely independent operator.

Ironically one of my new clients has just collected their business cards for a sales event in Belfast tonight, he arrived in this morning with his pdf (which required amendments). Haggled on the price and left very happy this evening.

250 high quality duplex matt laminated business cards, same day turnaround for €40+vat (after a haggle)
    Is that 'very expensive' 3sixty?

The difference between us apparently 'inefficient local suppliers' as Peter put it and some website is that WE GIVE A DAMN ABOUT THE CLIENT. If building working relationship is of no value to you then keep doing what you're doing Peter, when you're in a hole because your online provider or their courier has let you down don't go crying to your local printer.

Some people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
    You get what you pay for.

I am afraid your references to me are far too emotive. But I do wish to be fair, so please PM me a price 5000 full colour 6 page DL 130( a4 2side folded) 130 gsm gloss flyers delivered Dublin with leadtime. I will let you know how competitive you are, privately.
    I am in a manufacturing business and also export to more than 10 countries so I don't need and lectures on competitiveness or how to win customer loyalty, we are in business since September 1860.

Peter

You're claiming that 'a printer in Belfast' ran your job and delivered your job to Dublin the same day you ordered it and gave you a discount? Really? Let's hear some details. This should be interesting...

Absolutely no emotion in my response, I'm afraid you're quite mistaken Peter.

I'll gladly pm you that quote when I get back to work (home for half an hour to get some grub) have a few more hours to do tonight... Deadlines to honour and all that.
    I am afraid your references to me are far too emotive. But I do wish to be fair, so please PM me a price 5000 full colour 6 page DL 130( a4 2side folded) 130 gsm gloss flyers delivered Dublin with leadtime. I will let you know how competitive you are, privately.
    I am in a manufacturing business and also export to more than 10 countries so I don't need and lectures on competitiveness or how to win customer loyalty, we are in business since September 1860.

Peter

You're claiming that 'a printer in Belfast' ran your job and delivered your job to Dublin the same day you ordered it and gave you a discount? Really? Let's hear some details. This should be interesting...

Honestly can't remember the name of the business was a few years back. Was up North and needed leaflets printed for an event in the evening in Dublin. Went in with saved as a xcf file and they were able to format it to get it to work on their machines. Explained the situation and they arranged for a courier to pick it up and delivery it to Dublin. Then gave me a slight discount to counteract the courier cost even though I didn't expect it.

In the end the leaflets beat me to the event!

• Advertisement

Honestly can't remember the name of the business was a few years back. Was up North and needed leaflets printed for an event in the evening in Dublin. Went in with saved as a xcf file and they were able to format it to get it to work on their machines. Explained the situation and they arranged for a courier to pick it up and delivery it to Dublin. Then gave me a slight discount to counteract the courier cost even though I didn't expect it.

In the end the leaflets beat me to the event!

That's great but you've just demonstrated the benefits of using a local printer over an internet based printer, thanks for that! One Nil to local printers, back of the net! :D

That's great but you've just demonstrated the benefits of using a local printer over an internet based printer, thanks for that! One Nil to local printers, back of the net! :D

I never said anything against local printers and I have used them and I have also used online printers.

I was merely pointing out that when you said

you were just generalising and contradicting yourself hugely. I have nothing against local printers and I am well aware of benefits that local printers can offer.

Where did I contradict myself Vuzuggu? You have conflated two distinct arguments instead of addressing either one.

I made the point that you couldn't achieve the following from a website:

You tried to disprove this by citing your experience with a printer in Belfast
    I have order various printed goods from American, Irish and British suppliers.With the Belfast company I got same day delivery to Dublin and haggled on price.

You then had to row back, when challenged, and admitted that you were actually in Belfast so the printer was local rather than a website.

Not directly linked but http://www.logogram.com/ used them to get 1,000 pens printed up. Rang up and got a 20% discount.
    Wasn't aware you were talking about a website for this. Thought you were just talking about UK companies. Although you could always get a courier to pick them up easily enough.
    I also got design advice from a company in Birmingham who did a bit of editing for me for free.

By the way will be looking for loads of promotional material in the summer for 2 new ventures I'm launching so if you want send me your details and I'll keep you in mind

I'm glad you achieved all those, as I said: 'Good luck trying to...'
    I wish everyone the best luck in their endeavours :)

My whole point, which is getting fairly laboured now but to hell with it the print run doesn't end for another hour, is that it makes no sense to undermine the financial wellbeing of your fellow citizens/customers. The fewer people employed means a higher burden on you as a tax payer in the long run so you'll end up paying for your short-term gain.

It's like this... Dad, lets call him Peter, pays his son Minik €5 to mow the lawn. This is good for Peter because he gets his lawn mowed and good for Minik because he learns a strong work ethic and learns the value of money. All is great in Peter Mansions.

New neighbours move in next door, their son Quinnie offers to cut Peters lawn for €2... Peter is over the moon, he saves €3 every time! This can't possibly go wrong... but wait his son Minik still needs money from his Dad Peter for essentials so Peter still has to cough up one way or the other. Either that or he forces Minik to emigrate stay with his mother who left Peter because he was so penny pinching. Minik, learns that there is no future in hard work and that he may as well live off the social welfare system generosity of his father.

Quinnie does not take pride in his work and soon tires of it as it's so poorly paid, he also decides that he will default on payment for his lawnmower supplies and announces that he is now to be known as Quinnie 2.0.
    Peter Mansions is now a sad sad place, Minik decides not to pay for a nice retirement home for Peter when he needs it.

Today's story was brought to you by the emotion: regret and the concept: social cohesion .

I'm glad you achieved all those, as I said: 'Good luck trying to...'
    I wish everyone the best luck in their endeavours :)

My whole point, which is getting fairly laboured now but to hell with it the print run doesn't end for another hour, is that it makes no sense to undermine the financial wellbeing of your fellow citizens/customers. The fewer people employed means a higher burden on you as a tax payer in the long run so you'll end up paying for your short-term gain.

It's like this... Dad, lets call him Peter, pays his son Minik €5 to mow the lawn. This is good for Peter because he gets his lawn mowed and good for Minik because he learns a strong work ethic and learns the value of money. All is great in Peter Mansions.

New neighbours move in next door, their son Quinnie offers to cut Peters lawn for €2... Peter is over the moon, he saves €3 every time! This can't possibly go wrong... but wait his son Minik still needs money from his Dad Peter for essentials so Peter still has to cough up one way or the other either that or he forces Minik to emigrate stay with his mother who left Peter because he was so penny pinching. Minik, learns that there is no future in hard work and that he may as well live off the social welfare system generosity of his father.

Quinnie does not take pride in his work and soon tires of it as it's so poorly paid, he also decides that he will default on payment for his lawnmower supplies and announces that he is now to be known as Quinnie 2.0.
    Peter Mansions is now a sad sad place.

I see your point but it is a very simplistic view. If I was paying over the odds for everything purely just to support Irish businesses I would go out of business and people would lose their jobs.

I always look for good value when purchasing. That does not necessarily mean cheapest, but if I have to go abroad I will.

It may be simplistic but most true things are. My contention is that in the long run buying local is in everyone's interest, if your local printer or any business goes bust that means that the council are going to have to increase everyones rates to make up the shortfall.

Same goes for taxation... fewer people working in this country = fewer contributions = more of a burden on exchequer in terms of social welfare = higher taxation on those still in employment = less money available to spend = more companies failing = ... you get the picture, it's a vicious spiral into recession/depression unless we all pull together.

I don't believe in paying over the odds for anything either, i do believe in paying the going rate in the market I service though.
    I started patronising a coffee shop near where I'm based, after a few months I realised I had spent about €400 so I thought it'd be worth approaching the owner to see if I could quote on his printing requirements. He said he needed 500 A4 posters printed black, I said €20 (4c a copy). He said 'no you're ok I can get it from newry for €15...' I haven't darkened his door since. Was he being a clever business man in undermining his own customers to save a few quid?

It may be simplistic but most true things are. My contention is that in the long run buying local is in everyone's interest, if your local printer or any business goes bust that means that the council are going to have to increase everyones rates to make up the shortfall.

Same goes for taxation... fewer people working in this country = fewer contributions = more of a burden on exchequer in terms of social welfare = higher taxation on those still in employment = less money available to spend = more companies failing = ... you get the picture, it's a vicious spiral into recession/depression unless we all pull together.

It's one thing to consider yes. But you ignored the fact that as a business owner, I have to take care of my business and staff first. It all well saying support Irish business but if doing so puts me out of business there is no point.

A lot of businesses (and I am not saying you do as I have never met you) use the buy Irish as a way to justify higher prices. They don't innovate of become more efficient as they feel there is no need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I don't believe in paying over the odds for anything either, i do believe in paying the going rate in the market I service though.
    I started patronising a coffee shop near where I'm based, after a few months I realised I had spent about €400 so I thought it'd be worth approaching the owner to see if I could quote on his printing requirements. He said he needed 500 A4 posters printed black, I said €20 (4c a copy). He said 'no you're ok I can get it from newry for €15...' I haven't darkened his door since. Was he being a clever business man in undermining his own customers to save a few quid?

With a commodity like print it's always down to price, always!

Why didn't you offer to do them for nothing but ask for free coffees for a year. You'd have been way better off! ;)

• Advertisement

With a commodity like print it's always down to price, always!
    Actually it's not, I get a fair bit of work from people who tried the budget route and found it negatively impacted on their bottom line by losing them sales. We offer a great product and service at a fair price. I have a collection of thank you cards from customers that I pulled out all the stops for, how many do you think vistaprint etc get?
    It's one thing to consider yes. But you ignored the fact that as a business owner, I have to take care of my business and staff first. It all well saying support Irish business but if doing so puts me out of business there is no point.
    If spending an extra few quid on print or any other service is going to put you out of business then you're practically insolvent anyway.
    A lot of businesses (and I am not saying you do as I have never met you) use the buy Irish as a way to justify higher prices.
    I don't charge higher prices than other printers who are based in this country.
    I've just quoted Pete €137.99+vat for 5k 6pp DL's !!
    (still haven't had the honour of a reply from him yet)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement