Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting statistics (LCE)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

History and English are marked too hard imo. If I ever do find out who marked my History mock there will be more than words exchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

The 1 person who did OL Hebrew Studies in 2008, failed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Fad wrote: »
    The 1 person who did OL Hebrew Studies in 2008, failed!

guess you could say he brew his chance

pathway33 wrote: »

Why isnt there a NO THANKS/CRINGE button

Why isnt there a NO THANKS/CRINGE button
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

The percentage of As, etc. is interesting, but well, as with any statistics you sort of need the whole story before you can deduce much from it. Going "lots of people get A1s in Applied Maths, therefore it is easy" is just plain wrong and I've heard similar things said too often.

That said, the percentage of A1s in Art made me feel better about my A2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

That said, the percentage of A1s in Art made me feel better about my A2.

An A2 is not good?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Forty percent of all statistics are wrong.

OneArt wrote: »
    Forty percent of all statistics are wrong.

and what about the other half?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

feck all people get As in art. is it because so many people who are **** at it do it for the doss? well basing it on my class, that's about half the people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Jaysus

Some high A1 rate in HL Physics :O

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Gear9992

I'm starting 5th year next year and i decided to do Japanese!!

only 100 people did it last year, and 30% got an A1!! wow

I heard it was easy but it can't be that easy can it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,994 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Woah!!
    I was not expecting the A1 stat for Accounting to be that high in 2008.

Considering how bad the paper was:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭daithiolabhrai

pathway33 wrote: »

haha love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭daithiolabhrai

Gear9992 wrote: »
    I'm starting 5th year next year and i decided to do Japanese!!

only 100 people did it last year, and 30% got an A1!! wow

I heard it was easy but it can't be that easy can it?

my friend is doing it this year, and she says its very easy! but i'd say a lot of those people who got A1s are either Japanese or Chinese

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I think the SEC are taking the piss with Japanese. While a lot of people who take the exam are indeed Japanese, it still has an over apportionment of A1's in comparison to other far flung or 'minnow' (in comparsion to those studying at LC level) languages.

This is favouritism to those who can either afford to do Japanese outside of school, or be lucky enough to be in schools who feel they can offer a Japanese program. The perception that 'Ah yeah, I'll take up Japanese in 5th year cause it's an easy A1' has been proven correct. To get an A1 in Japanese should be just as difficult to obtain as an A1 in German/French/Spanish.

Do you think anyone would go 'I was thinking of taking up German in 5th year, heard of my mate it's an easy A'? Would they ****.

I think the SEC are taking the piss with Japanese. While a lot of people who take the exam are indeed Japanese, it still has an over apportionment of A1's in comparison to other far flung or 'minnow' (in comparsion to those studying at LC level) languages.

This is favouritism to those who can either afford to do Japanese outside of school, or be lucky enough to be in schools who feel they can offer a Japanese program. The perception that 'Ah yeah, I'll take up Japanese in 5th year cause it's an easy A1' has been proven correct. To get an A1 in Japanese should be just as difficult to obtain as an A1 in German/French/Spanish.

Do you think anyone would go 'I was thinking of taking up German in 5th year, heard of my mate it's an easy A'? Would they ****.

Japanese classes are free.

I see modern European languages as easy A's in comparison to Irish, am I outraged? No.

There is no JC Japanese, it is only meant to be up the level of JC French or something like that.

What about the A rate in other Eastern European languages? Seeing as only people from those countries take the exams. I'd say very few native speakers take the Japanese LC exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

I see modern European languages as easy A's in comparison to Irish, am I outraged? No.

There is no JC Japanese, it is only meant to be up the level of JC French or something like that.

What about the A rate in other Eastern European languages? Seeing as only people from those countries take the exams. I'd say very few native speakers take the Japanese LC exam.

I'm one of the people who saw those stats and jumped on the bandwagon. We'll see how it works out on August 12th...
    This year though the numbers doing it will go up quite significantly I think, and the A rate will drop.
    A lot of people doing it speak Japanese or another Asian language like Korean, and pick it up in 6th year.

In other news, I have to be in the top 2.9% of the country to get my course.
    Oh dear.

Does your ability to study Irish or European languages depend on what school you go to? No.

Dear CAO, As I hear that as LC Japanese is as easy as JC French, I would like to point out the fact that I got 7 a's in my JC. Can you fax me on mai 600 points plz?

That's exactly my point. How are so many people getting 100 points for JC work in comparison to all other languages.

It doesnt depend on what school you go to, its free, for anyone who cares to travel to the centres where they are taught...........

Just because its at JC standard doesnt make it "Easy", you still have to learn a language in 2 years, including 3 alphabets and you have to be able to speak it.

The standard is JC level, but the doesnt mean its as Easy as a JC subject.

• Advertisement

The standard is JC level, but the doesnt mean its as Easy as a JC subject.

:confused:

If a subject's standard is JC level, how is it more difficult than a JC Paper?

Is there a list of these centres somewhere?

Also btw, just had a look at the 2008 paper here.

Right Fad, have a look through it.
    Bear in mind that this is a paper worth 100 points.
    Now look at question 2d. Ridiculous.

:confused:

If a subject's standard is JC level, how is it more difficult than a JC Paper?

You learn as much as you would as if you learnt it at JC level, but bearing in mind you're doing a course in two years instead of three, and for the vast majority of people doing one 3 hour class a week, I would say it is more difficult. The paper may not be to an insane standard, but you still have to put quite alot of work in.

(Loving how you've dropped your point about what school people go to....)

(Loving how you've dropped your point about what school people go to....)

Post edited ;)

Post edited ;)

Yes, after I responded to it though :pac:

And then subsequently ignored the rest of my response.

You would have to ensure some sort of knowledge about Japanese Culture.

Lets compare Arabic with Japanese. Two Foreign Languages. New Alphabets in both, and by my reckoning a higher proportion of native speakers taking the LC in Arabic but with similar numbers of students actually taking the exam

OK. So an A1 rate similar in both should be applicable yeah?

Consistently, there have been over twice as many A's given to Japanese as to Arabic, but the A1 rate has been eclipsed by over 10 times in the last two years.

Fair papers? :rolleyes:

Yes, after I responded to it though :pac:

And then subsequently ignored the rest of my response.

Because it was written while you were writing your response.

We do some amount of French culture in our French class, when has it been examined in the LC? I could answer that question if you replaced Japan with France. As could you with whatever European language you study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

I don't see why any of us not doing Japanese would be in any position to comment on the difficulty of the paper... I'm sure the SEC would make sure it's a fair exam.

cautioner wrote: »
    I don't see why any of us not doing Japanese would be in any position to comment on the difficulty of the paper... I'm sure the SEC would make sure it's a fair exam.

I did Japanese in TY for the year. Kinda preparation for the centre after the year had ended.

Lets compare Arabic with Japanese. Two Foreign Languages. New Alphabets in both, and by my reckoning a higher proportion of native speakers taking the LC in Arabic but with similar numbers of students actually taking the exam

OK. So an A1 rate similar in both should be applicable yeah?

Consistently, there have been over twice as many A's given to Japanese as to Arabic, but the A1 rate has been eclipsed by over 10 times in the last two years.

Fair papers? :rolleyes:

Because Japanese is intended as an Ab Initio subject, no one is meant to have studied it prior to LC level.

Arabic is for native speakers(Pretty much only), so they can have something to take the place of Irish, why the SEC have that in place? I do not know.
    Because it was written while you were writing your response.

The words you are searching for are, "You win Fad" :).

• Advertisement

The words you are searching for are, "You win Fad" :).
    :rolleyes:

Your points which you said i missed out on are answered up there. In the thread.
    Because Japanese is intended as an Ab Initio subject, no one is meant to have studied it prior to LC level.

Arabic is for native speakers(Pretty much only), so they can have something to take the place of Irish, why the SEC have that in place? I do not know.

Why shouldn't Arabic be on the JC timetable so?
    Does that not make Arabic an Ab Initio subject?

Advertisement