Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting statistics (LCE)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

:rolleyes:

Your points which you said i missed out on are answered up there. In the thread.

Why shouldn't Arabic be on the JC timetable so?
    Does that not make Arabic an Ab Initio subject?

If I manage to respond to your post before you edited it (As in looking at the time I posted and looking at the time you edited the post) I think you'll I win :pac:

I'm not saying it shouldnt, I have no idea why it isnt.

And no not really, the Arabic LC exam clearly expects some serious prior knowledge, Muslim guy in my year, lived in Saudi Arabia says the exam would be too hard for him to go near.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Fad wrote: »
    I think you'll I win :pac:

Anxiousness to exert superiority fail.

I'm not saying it shouldnt, I have no idea why it isnt.

And no not really, the Arabic LC exam clearly expects some serious prior knowledge, Muslim guy in my year, lived in Saudi Arabia says the exam would be too hard for him to go near.

Which is exactly what I've trying to argue with you about!
    Japanese = Easy 100 points in comparison to other ''real world actually hard to get 100 points'' subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

Gear9992 wrote: »
    I'm starting 5th year next year and i decided to do Japanese!!

only 100 people did it last year, and 30% got an A1!! wow

I heard it was easy but it can't be that easy can it?

They do Japanese in my school - though I was tempted to take it based on that figure. But as people who do it pointed out to me - the reason the amount of A1s is so high is because the vast majority (I won't make up a stat, but it's an overwhelming majority) are actually Japanese.

According to the Irish students who dk it in my year, a good few it has to be said, it's a lot harder for non-native speakers than it's made out to be:o

Which is exactly what I've trying to argue with you about!
    Japanese = Easy 100 points in comparison to other ''real world actually hard to get 100 points'' subjects.

In comparison to a subject which shouldnt exist in the first place(As in no, I dont think Arabic should be examined, but that's for another day)

The SEC are clearly marking things easily for the first couple of years to encourage people to do the damn subject. They do it with everything, Japanese clearly requires you to have some sort of dedication (As in actually getting up at 9 on a Saturday morning to go to the classes), and obviously you're probably going to do a fair bit of work for it. I'd say the combination of those 2 is what's keeping the A1 percentage so high.

• Advertisement

In comparison to a subject which shouldnt exist in the first place(As in no, I dont think Arabic should be examined, but that's for another day)

Easy there tiger. What makes Japanese a valid subject and not Arabic?
    Easy points?
    The SEC are clearly marking things easily.

:D WIN
    The SEC are clearly marking things easily for the first couple of years to encourage people to do the damn subject. They do it with everything,

The physics/bio/chem a rate is hardly abnormal yet they Clearly want people taking science subjects.

Have you found a list of centres yet btw?

Easy there tiger. What makes Japanese a valid subject and not Arabic?
    Easy points?

:D WIN

The physics/bio/chem a rate is hardly abnormal yet they Clearly want people taking science subjects.

A variety of things, mainly I dont feel that native languages of other countries should really be be examined here. This is is also tied in with me thinking that Gaelscoils should have a different Irish exam. And a variety of other language issues.

Easy marking to promote its uptake, it still a new subject. They mark Religion quite easily too, new JC science syllabus when it came out was marked easily and when I did the last year of the old one it was marked really harshly. Promoting the subject isnt exactly saying its a walk in the park, you clearly have to work at it, and obviously they do.

If universities felt that the Japanese exam situation was ridiculous, they wouldnt accept it for points or they would have said something.

Edit: No, and I dont remember saying id get one :pac:

But because I'm extra nice, I "Found out" two of the centres.

1.St.Michael's College. My "Delightful" school, but nothing to do with the school itself, run by other people on a Saturday morning. 3 people in my year are doing it.

2. DCU run classes appartently.

I'd imagine UL have something, but I'm not sure.

A variety of things, mainly I dont feel that native languages of other countries should really be be examined here.
    So then French, German Spanish etc all go out the door! Nice!:cool:
    You've deadly reasoning!
    Easy marking to promote its uptake, it still a new subject. They mark Religion quite easily too, new JC science syllabus when it came out was marked easily and when I did the last year of the old one it was marked really harsh.

Do you have the stats to back it up?
    Cause I do here.

New subject marked harder than old one shocker!

Revised Syllabus at an A rate of 10.1%
    The old 1989 one..[/drumroll] 12.8%

If universities felt that the Japanese exam situation was ridiculous, they wouldnt accept it for points or they would have said something.

Or maybe they have bigger fish to fry and don't care about an exam which so few students sit.
    Edit: No, and I dont remember saying id get one :pac:

I asked you for one earlier. To be found. To prove that within reason, the most of the students of the country have the ability to avail of an exam which is statistically easy. These ''free centres'' are set up to promote a language whose promotion is questionable as can certainly be seen as a luxury in our education system which is suffering more cuts that a piece of meat on a butchers chopping board. Promotion of the language by free lessons to a select few who are in the know and easy exams and marking schemes to accommodate these centres is preposterous. Hence, why I feel like I'm justifed in saying that the SEC are taking the piss with Japanese.

• Advertisement

But because I'm extra nice, I "Found out" two of the centres.

1.St.Michael's College. My "Delightful" school, but nothing to do with the school itself, run by other people on a Saturday morning. 3 people in my year are doing it.

2. DCU run classes appartently.

I'd imagine UL have something, but I'm not sure.

And I know the centre in Sligo. Now find one in Belmullet or ... I dunno Killarney to prove that it's available to everyone who wished to study Japanese.

EDIT: Since I like proving stuff I think and say with facts and not assumptions (Like your one RE the Science Course), Here's the list.

So then French, German Spanish etc all go out the door! Nice!:cool:
    You've deadly reasoning!

Or maybe they have bigger fish to fry and don't care about an exam which so few students sit.

I asked you for one earlier. To be found. To prove that within reason, the most of the students of the country have the ability to avail of an exam which is statistically easy. These ''free centres'' are set up to promote a language whose promotion is questionable as can certainly be seen as a luxury in our education system which is suffering more cuts that a piece of meat on a butchers chopping board. Promotion of the language by free lessons to a select few who are in the know and easy exams and marking schemes to accommodate these centres is preposterous. Hence, why I feel like I'm justifed in saying that the SEC are taking the piss with Japanese.

I'd have no problem with Modern European Languages being thrown out the door, but I feel you now exactly what I was implying.

I'd imagine Unis do want to know what calibre of students they are letting in.
    They do speak out when things are going wrong (That's why we have a comparative section in English now)

I might take this chance to remind you that this is the internet, and you can find your list yourself, should it particularly satisfy you. I'm not attempting to prove that every student in the country has access to lessons, as put simply that wouldnt be true. Do city students have access to farms required for Agricultural Science? No, not really, so that somewhat prevents them from do that subject, which is by all accounts piss easy. Do all students have access to Construction Studies? No, that also looks piss easy. Engineering? No. Technology? No. Agricultural Economics? No. Latin? No. They all look piss easy (The statistics may not back them up, but if you had to go out of your way to do them, the A1 rate would obviously be higher). Any principal who know what theyre at would promote it, stop with this bollocks about being in the know.

I might take this chance to remind you that this is the internet, and you can find your list yourself, should it particularly satisfy you.
    I did, and was proven correct in my assumptions.
    (The statistics may not back them up)
    Your arguments holds a lot of value right now. Statistics are there for jokes yes?
    but if you had to go out of your way to do them, the A1 rate would obviously be higher).
    If you go out of your way to say ...study, I think you'd find the chances of getting an A1 grade would be higher as well.
    Any principal who know what theyre at would promote it, stop with this bollocks about being in the know.

Promote it with what? Any student who doesn't go to a fee-paying school (which you said you did earlier on) would realise that school budgets are stretched tighter than a sumo wrestler's mawashi. Schools don't have money to promote Japanese. Those who have the money for such trivial novelties (which due another mathematical method called probability will be fee paying schools), will employ the teachers, and so the elitist capitalist Irish system of education continues on its circle of destruction for those who aren't "in the know";)

Promote it with what? Any student who doesn't go to a fee-paying school (which you said you did earlier on) would realise that school budgets are stretched tighter than a sumo wrestler's mawashi. Schools don't have money to promote Japanese. Those who have the money for such trivial novelties (which due another mathematical method called probability will be fee paying schools), will employ the teachers, and so the elitist capitalist Irish system of education continues on its circle of destruction for those who aren't "in the know";)

What are you talking about?

Promote as in tell theyre students its available, as in for free.

Do not start spouting your chip on shoulder bullshít about private education, this is not the thread. As I said, 3 people in my school do it, I was in school on a Saturday morning once for debating, people I knew from other schools (That happen to be non fee paying where in), Piste is in a non fee paying school, she was doing the classes at one stage (I dont know if she continued, or if she minds being used as an example). Private schools dont employ the teachers, the state do, and they use certain schools (Mine for example) as a venue, having about 5 or 6 classes running at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Promote it with what? Any student who doesn't go to a fee-paying school (which you said you did earlier on) would realise that school budgets are stretched tighter than a sumo wrestler's mawashi.

:pac::D:pac::D:pac::D

What are you talking about?

Promote as in tell theyre students its available, as in for free.
    I thought you meant that principals should promote via employment, considering they choose what subjects are thought in schools.
    If they (centres) are available, of course they should be available to everybody. But if they're not available to everybody they should not exist. When you are dealing with a subject which has such a high A1 rate, it places some students at a distinct advantage in comparison to others.
    Do not start spouting your chip on shoulder bullshít about private education, this is not the thread.
    Like it or not, private education in this country, certainly not in it's present form should not be continued. The very idea that one school is better than another and to gain entry to this school you must pay is appalling. I could have gone to a fee-paying school in my area, I have no chip on my shoulder about being jealous, I just hate the idea of feeding a system which is revolting. And yes, before you quip, I was a politically informed 6th class student.
    As I said, 3 people in my school do it, I was in school on a Saturday morning once for debating,
    You'd wanna go back and learn how to debate because debates usually entail facts. You've provided one about free centres on a Saturday which we know (So Far)that there are 4 in the country. Every other fact you've displayed has been proven to be hearsay nonense by the one single website. Examinations.ie.
    people I knew from other schools (That happen to be non fee paying where in), Piste is in a non fee paying school, she was doing the classes at one stage (I dont know if she continued, or if she minds being used as an example). Private schools dont employ the teachers, the state do, and they use certain schools (Mine for example) as a venue, having about 5 or 6 classes running at once.

Great. You've already stated this, but I misinterpreted when you said 'promote'. I do notice when you say things a thread you see.:cool:

You still haven't given me a reason as to why it's fair to have one subject with a reasonably high turnout rate, but with an exceptionally high A1 rate to boot. Please read my posts because I'm annoyed at making the same points which you choose to ignore. The SEC are taking the piss.

I thought you meant that principals should promote via employment, considering they choose what subjects are thought in schools.
    If they (centres) are available, of course they should be available to everybody. But if they're not available to everybody they should not exist. When you are dealing with a subject which has such a high A1 rate, it places some students at a distinct advantage in comparison to others.

Like it or not, private education in this country, certainly not in it's present form should not be continued. The very idea that one school is better than another and to gain entry to this school you must pay is appalling. I could have gone to a fee-paying school in my area, I have no chip on my shoulder about being jealous, I just hate the idea of feeding a system which is revolting. And yes, before you quip, I was a politically informed 6th class student.
    You'd wanna go back and learn how to debate because debates usually entail facts. You've provided one about free centres on a Saturday which we know (So Far)that there are 4 in the country. Every other fact you've displayed has been proven to be hearsay nonense by the one single website. Examinations.ie.

Great. You've already stated this, but I misinterpreted when you said 'promote'. I do notice when you say things a thread you see.:cool:

You still haven't given me a reason as to why it's fair to have one subject with a reasonably high turnout rate, but with an exceptionally high A1 rate to boot. Please read my posts because I'm annoyed at making the same points which you choose to ignore. The SEC are taking the piss.

I'm going to say it now, that I'll ignore anything anything about private schools as 1. It has been done to death and 2. Its completely off topic and 3.I think we've spoken about it too much for it to be healthy :pac:

I dont think its a problem though, if students work, they do well, if all students work, they all do well. Its obvious that they all must do enough to do that well, the SEC might run the exams the DOE set the syllabus and the SEC can only examine what the DOE say they can.

(And as for the point about debating, it was Irish Debating, no facts involved :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

So anywaaay.... I'm kind of surprised that not a single person got an N/G in any of the Irish papers for the last three years.

Also thought the figures for A's in Geography would be higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Classical studies represent!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Arabic is for native speakers(Pretty much only), so they can have something to take the place of Irish, why the SEC have that in place? I do not know.

There is an international school in Tripoli which follows the Leaving Cert programme, hence Arabic instead of Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Woah!!
    I was not expecting the A1 stat for Accounting to be that high in 2008.

Considering how bad the paper was:eek:

The paper was different, the reason for the same high level of A1's is because they marked it very very easy.

Example
    Write a note on the accounting standards board?
    It was worth 5 marks
    You get 3 marks for saying accounting standards board in your answer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭hopeful_girl

blubloblu wrote: »
    Classical studies represent!

go classics =D
    its interesting.
    but i am brutel at answering the questions :(

anyone hoping for an a in art?

4% thats b****in

Advertisement