Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuam, Galway

Options
  • 02-05-2009 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

what ya think of it?
    my main thing is, do you think its a town or city?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Fastest town in Ireland

Tuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

tuam is nice, i like it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

minxie wrote: »
    tuam is nice, i like it :D

LOL, This is the be nice to tuam thread, can't find the other one.:D

theres a great butchers there that sells pigs ears:eek:
    i cant get them anywhere else,,, for my mam mind :P
    and its really a town...
    but it has a cathederal
    so doesnt that mean its a city :(

• Advertisement

theres a great butchers there that sells pigs ears:eek:
    i cant get them anywhere else,,, for my mam mind :P
    and its really a town...
    but it has a cathederal
    so doesnt that mean its a city :(

Town, Galway is a small City, something to do with having a City charter ,I don't think having a Cathedral is recognised now days as being enough to be called a City.

galwayrush wrote: »
    Town, Galway is a small City, something to do with having a City charter ,I don't think having a Cathedral is recognised now days as being enough to be called a City.

thank god for that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

tuams a kip. defo a town. it reminds me of dunmanway in west cork. something just makes it feel dark, even on a sunny day it just feels dark and dirty.:(

tuams a kip. defo a town. it reminds me of dunmanway in west cork. something just makes it feel dark, even on a sunny day it just feels dark and dirty.:(

talking about supervalu eh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

talking about supervalu eh :)

summit like that, yeh:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,890 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It was a city when the hospital was open and the two Cathedrals, that qualifies as a city (I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

LOL, This is the be nice to tuam thread, can't find the other one.:D
    Yeah, the other one was better :(

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Tuam has TWO cathedrals, making it a proper city without a charter. I knew people from 2am going to UCG back in the dark ages, great craic, great humour, and their own lingo too. Was in a fine pub called Juno/Junie's (?) fadó, fadó, any Shams out there can tell us if it's still there? Gay Browne's was a nice Shop for Porter as well.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ManoCornuta

I don't like Tuam at all. I moved near Tuam just before Christmas, from the other side of Galway, and I'm in uni in Dublin so thankfully I don't have to spend a whole lot of time there.

Tis a kip, I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Junies pub is the best part of it. A retail blackspot. Everyone there shops in Claremorris or Galway city

dec25532 wrote: »
    . A retail blackspot. Everyone there shops in Claremorris or Galway city

That's easily explained, small minded vested interests in the town who have too much power.;)

That's easily explained, small minded vested interests in the town who have too much power.;)

You use plural, there is only one guy that owns the town and can pay off anyone to get the hell out.

I hope we get the cinema and the retail section, if they could draw in Penneys or Dunnes it would be great. Planning for a shopping area out the galway road was denied, I can understand why though. There is nothing going into the 'Shopping Centre" we already have in the town...

And the Tesco plan for the Milltown Road has hit a brick wall as well. Planners have requested further information that would take a team of rocket scientists to respond to. There is definitely something sinister going on.

It's the same fella who applied for Tesco's who is applying for the cinema...I hope he keeps trying and trying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Tuam has TWO cathedrals, making it a proper city without a charter. I knew people from 2am going to UCG back in the dark ages, great craic, great humour, and their own lingo too. Was in a fine pub called Juno/Junie's (?) fadó, fadó, any Shams out there can tell us if it's still there? Gay Browne's was a nice Shop for Porter as well.....

Junie's still there yes, lovely spot. Gay Browne's sadly closed though. It's a grand town in small doses, I like going back to see the family and there can be good music sessions in the pubs, don't think I could live there again though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Tinder

Tuam is a great town,

Regarding it being a retail black spot, thats just not true, fair enough it has its problems, yes the same few people owning most of the retail spaces in the centre of the town is not healthy but to be fair lots of small business have closed down all over the country, not just Tuam, and over the past year more new shops and business have opened, Enjoy boutique, shoo b doo, pet health, subway and others.

The Celtic tiger passed it buy mainly due to the chamber of commerce being particularlly useless and the town councillers being totally inept, voting Paddy McHugh (or any independent) a few terms back was a huge mistake.

Like most west of ireland towns the government are not really interested.

None of the reatial parks on the outskirts of the town have worked and most are empty and have no character, no real business heart in any of them.

A tesco on the N17 would be a really bad idea, would only make the centre of the town even more isolated.

There are people working really hard to get Tuam back on the map and deserve our credit. Judging a town on its pubs is not a great yardstick, judge it by its heart.

mars bar wrote: »
    You use plural, there is only one guy that owns the town and can pay off anyone to get the hell out.

I hope we get the cinema and the retail section, if they could draw in Penneys or Dunnes it would be great. Planning for a shopping area out the galway road was denied, I can understand why though. There is nothing going into the 'Shopping Centre" we already have in the town...

True, one now, but there used to be 2.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭mrsweebri

I have not lived in Tuam but I worked there for a while and I didn't like the feel of the place. Most of the people were nice enough but I wouldn't feel safe living there or walking around after dark. I see it as a town. Sorry to the folk that live there, it's just the impression I have of the place.

mrsweebri wrote: »
    I have not lived in Tuam but I worked there for a while and I didn't like the feel of the place. Most of the people were nice enough but I wouldn't feel safe living there or walking around after dark. I see it as a town. Sorry to the folk that live there, it's just the impression I have of the place.

What? Do the people of Tuam need protection if they dare venture out of their homes after dark? Are there ruthless gangs dragging their knuckles along the ground as they terrorise the locals? Is martial law required to sort this grim situation out? God, Tuam is more exciting than I thought!!

lol, I have walked around the town many a time late at night and guess what?
    I'm female.

Sheesh, it's not that bad!

mars bar wrote: »
    lol, I have walked around the town many a time late at night and guess what?
    I'm female.

Sheesh, it's not that bad!

You brave young wan! Judging by the previous post the town is a no go area which seems a bit extreme. Would love to know what happened to make her think Tuam is an unsafe place. In fact, it is probably better than most towns of its size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭greengreen

I have often been out in Tuam and never seen any trouble. A Garda friend of mine reckons that nothing ever happens compared to Athenry and Oranmore. I kinda liked it as you could go from pub to pub around the square and everyone was friendly.

dec25532 wrote: »
    You brave young wan! Judging by the previous post the town is a no go area which seems a bit extreme. Would love to know what happened to make her think Tuam is an unsafe place. In fact, it is probably better than most towns of its size.

Probably listened to a few other people who said the same thing and then just jumped on the bandwagon...
    greengreen wrote: »
    I have often been out in Tuam and never seen any trouble. A Garda friend of mine reckons that nothing ever happens compared to Athenry and Oranmore. I kinda liked it as you could go from pub to pub around the square and everyone was friendly.

It's a compact town, you can literally crawl out of one pub and into the next. And if you walk around the Square into each of the pubs, you are bound to bump into someone else ya know who will join ya...it's like a snowball effect. Makes for a great night out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭mrsweebri

I'm very glad that you can all vouch for Tuam as a safe place to go. My impression of Tuam was formed from spending a few months working there. I didn't like the place at all found it dingy and met a few unpleasant characters there. The OP asked what people thought of the place and I gave my impression. If you disagree, great. I live in Oranmore and feel really safe there, so if it is a dodgier place that Tuam then maybe I got the wrong impression of the place. A minority of dodgy people can have that effect, unfortunately.

(For the record, I don't jump on bandwagons, I amn't nimble enough).

• Advertisement

Maybe it's more of a case of sticking up for where you live...
    I find Tuam grand, don't find Oranmore appealing, never been out for the night there but even the layout of the place just annoys me...

There are unpleasant characters everywhere, you were unlucky to have bumped into ours. Maybe you'll get luckier next time eh?

Advertisement