Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance..for 8 weeks?

Options
  • 02-05-2009 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭

I'm on back to training&education allowance and receiving rent allowance..my other half was made redundant 2 months ago and the CWO said he'd only give him rent allowance for 8 weeks/2 months.
    We didn't think anything of it but now the rent is due and his cheque never came.
    Does anyone know what we can do about this? is he even allowed do that? I know the SW have an appeals process but does the HSE? we're in deep **** if we can't cover the rent, we're late with it already and short his half. Other than going around to the CWO on tuesday morning I don't know what we can do, he's a cynical hard headed kinda bloke and pretty much runs you out of his office before you've sat down.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You need to find out from your other half why the CWO gave a time limit and what other criteria he was looking at. Are you seperate but sharing a house? Did you apply for rent supplement as a couple? Is the rent above the local maximum permitted (this is possibly the reason for the time limit)?

I suggest your other half phones the CWO on tuesday morning to find out what the status of his rent supplement is. If he's still unhappy he can appeal the decision to the SCWO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

We applied seperately as he'd lost his job& I'm on BTEA, he wasn't given a reason other than the apartment is too expensive, it's one bedroom and €1050 a month, which at 25 each is within the limits as fars i know.
    What's the SCWO? and where can I find the contact details for them?
    The CWO is DEFFO gonna play hard ball & tell us to eff off (he's that kinda guy) but he's effectively making us both homeless if he does this & naturally we don't want that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

If the CWO mentioned that the apartment was too expensive, then it is above the maximum permitted limit for your area and has given your OH a temporary payment for two months with a view for him to either re-negotiate the rent or move to somewhere under the threshold.

This issue has come up before in the State Benefits forum
    The person to appeal to if he thinks the decision is unfair or not following policy is the area Superintendent CWO whose contact details can be got from the HSE

Advertisement