Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 vs. 3?

• 02-05-2009 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭

I am getting a phone to unlock (its 3G so will work with 3). And was wondering what network people think is better on PAYG. Im stuck between 02 and 3. Price plan wise im leaning towards o2 but im really asking about the internet. I like planet 3 for the free sports and news how does o2 compare to this? But do o2 now have free webtexts?

Also can some one confirm would the likes of planet 3 still be free if if the 3 sim was used in a non 3 phone? I understand you would need to add it as a bookmark .

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

250(sh) free webtexts on an unreliable website which is set to improve (apparently) with o2.

Overall, o2 I believe are a better network then 3. If you search, not many on Boards are impressed with 3's service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

AntoSRFC wrote: »
    I like planet 3 for the free sports and news how does o2 compare to this?

They have an o2 portal with some free content pages, but 3 would have a bigger selection.

But do o2 now have free webtexts?

o2 will give you 250 free webtexts each month. 3 do not after webtexts, and not likely too anytime soon. They believe msn is a better service to provide.
    Also can some one confirm would the likes of planet 3 still be free if if the 3 sim was used in a non 3 phone? I understand you would need to add it as a bookmark

Yes planet 3 will be free from the unlocked phone.

I would be looking at the monthly spend difference for your usage for both networks, than i would consider how much you want the planet 3/ o2 portal. A note to mention is 3 customer service team aren't the greatest at times. Do a search and decide for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

Thanks alot for the replies. Still sort of undecided but im just a very undecisive peron. Probaly will go for O2. Have already orderd the free sim card:D so wont bother forking out the tenner for 3. And its really just the scores id be useing the internet for and im sure o2 have that for free. Can some one confirm this? (or maybe not i think ive just decided.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Can some one confirm this? (or maybe not i think ive just decided.)

You really are indecisive! :pac:

Give you an idea what o2 offer:
    http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Explore+Services/Services/O2+Mobile+internet/Explore+the+sites/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

And its really just the scores id be useing the internet for and im sure o2 have that for free.

skysports 1 is free to watch on 3 for May;)

the €10 sim works out better value if you do your sums..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

skysports 1 is free to watch on 3 for May;)

the €10 sim works out better value if you do your sums..

Which sums are these then? Any examples?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

Go with O2! For the following reasons:

Best Customer Support EVER!

O2 Experience which gives you free texts to any network or free texts and calls to O2 when you top up by €20 a month

For the first 4 months, when you top up by €20 a month you actually get €34 technically because you get your €20 plus a dripfeed of €10 a month for the first 4 months plus 20% extra on the €20!

Instead of using O2 Sports portal, you can just go on the internet normally. For €1 a day you can go on the internet and use upto 50mb

O2 Experience which gives you free texts to any network or free texts and calls to O2 when you top up by €20 a month

For the first 4 months, when you top up by €20 a month you actually get €34 technically because you get your €20 plus a dripfeed of €10 a month for the first 4 months plus 20% extra on the €20!

Instead of using O2 Sports portal, you can just go on the internet normally. For €1 a day you can go on the internet and use upto 50mb

Its the free texts really is what im goin for. Ill make sure to make the most out of the 20% nd 10 euro free aswell. Whats o2 sports portal? Any good is there a charge?

Its the free texts really is what im goin for. Ill make sure to make the most out of the 20% nd 10 euro free aswell. Whats o2 sports portal? Any good is there a charge?
    I don't know about that...I'm on the iPhone and you can't get onto O2's mobile service as far as I'm aware...just the normal internet. But you can still get your sports news from the normal internet on your phone too :)

I don't know about that...I'm on the iPhone and you can't get onto O2's mobile service as far as I'm aware...just the normal internet. But you can still get your sports news from the normal internet on your phone too :)

Ye ill be getting an iphone. Is yours jailbroken?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,249 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

But you can still get your sports news from the normal internet on your phone too :)

I'm talking about skysports TV, you can watch the match/goals rather than read the website, I don't think that's possible on o2, only 3 or Vodafone offer TV on your phone...

@anto, you get a maximum of €40 with the free 02 sim and you can get up to €80 on the 3 sim....and also 2 text options, you can have 3cent texts all the time or you can buy the feast on talk&taxt add on and get 700 any network texts for the week + 200 any network calls on saturaday and sunday for just under €7pw...

There's only €10 top up required with 3 to get your €10 free credit every month. You also get a bonus on top up on all credit over €10

Ye ill be getting an iphone. Is yours jailbroken?
    Yep mine is jailbroken :) It's the only way to get the most out of your iPhone!

@anto, you get a maximum of €40 with the free 02 sim and you can get up to €80 on the 3 sim....and also 2 text options, you can have 3cent texts all the time or you can buy the feast on talk&taxt add on and get 700 any network texts for the week + 200 any network calls on saturaday and sunday for just under €7pw...

There's only €10 top up required with 3 to get your €10 free credit every month. You also get a bonus on top up on all credit over €10

Had a look at the 3 text bundle thing and imo its works out fairly expensive. Like you end up spending nearly 30euro a month. Like im not that heavy of a user and there is no way i could afford that. Were as with o2 you top up by 20 euro and you have your free texts for a month lets say you spend a fiver on calls that leaves you with 15 euro still left from last month.
    Say that lasts you 2 weeks 02 costs 20 for 6 weeks. 3 costs 42. twice the price. No brainer really.

Ordered the o2 card so i might aswell use the free credit on it. Then ill see if ill stay with them. Thought 3 were great when i was with them tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Both network has lots of pros and cons. Good thing about three is their roaming in other countrys that have a three network. Theres no extra charge. Brilliant when you go to the UK.

My friend moved over to 02 from three and he said its the worst thing he has ever done. The coverage is worse than three, his 1st bill was over €400, i think because of the amount of data he used.

I thought three had a fairly cheap text and talk bundle a week? 700 texts or something for 99c a day, 6.92 a week or something?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

snaps wrote: »
    Both network has lots of pros and cons. Good thing about three is their roaming in other countrys that have a three network. Theres no extra charge. Brilliant when you go to the UK.

Yes but useless if you go to the other 150-odd countries that they don't roam in ;)

Three's 1Gb data add-on on PAYG is excellent. Coverage can be flaky though. Customer service is polite but unfailingly headwrecking.

I use my 3phone for data only and so-far the only thing that seems to be blocked is mobbler though reports suggest that that is being looked into.

I had 3g coverage with three in my house then when i moved to meteor i can bearly send a text and calls are completly out of the queistion .meteors coverage is appaling worst move ever switching from them to 3.

Advertisement