Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art Craftwork - Stencils

Options
  • 02-05-2009 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

Hey :)
    I have my craft exam on Tuesday and I'm still not certain about stencils. If I were to print out the following (obviously in a larger size and font)

CUTTING EDGE HAIR

And then bring it in as a stencil would that be okay? I'm confused because on the paper it says the lettering has to be measured out on the day, but surely if I bring in that stencil I'll have already measured it. Can anyone enlighten me as to what is acceptable as a stencil for the exam? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Anyone? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I'm not sure about this either, I think it means you need to make it on the day, also if you're using a stencil it has to go in with your poster afaik. I'm using a stencil as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 flerg

Yes, you can use cut out stencils of pre drawn individual letters but you can't measure the spacing and layout pre exam, you must do this during the exam.
    I am an art teacher.
    Jo

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Ah, okay. Now I understand. Thanks Jo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭-ME-

flerg wrote: »
    Yes, you can use cut out stencils of pre drawn individual letters but you can't measure the spacing and layout pre exam, you must do this during the exam.
    I am an art teacher.
    Jo

Do the pre drawn individual letters have to be stuck on to the preparatory sheet? And do the letters also have to show 'further significant development'?! Please get back to me asap if you can. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 george.

no the stencils do not need to be stuck on to the prep sheet. draw out the lettering you want in the words you need, say 'science week 09' then cut each letter out, because you cant have the spacing organized before you do the poster. when you put your poster and other sheets in the bag on the day of the exam, put in your lettering stencils aswell.
    hope that helps!

george. wrote: »
    no the stencils do not need to be stuck on to the prep sheet. draw out the lettering you want in the words you need, say 'science week 09' then cut each letter out, because you cant have the spacing organized before you do the poster. when you put your poster and other sheets in the bag on the day of the exam, put in your lettering stencils aswell.
    hope that helps!

Wow, that makes life so much easier! I didn't realise you could do that at all, I don't think my art teacher realises either :\ You're positive that's ok? Thanks very much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Tarzan_man

My art teacher says that because of people doing 100% typography posters and having the stencil for such a poster prepared for the day, that when you're doing stencils you need to do the full alphabet. EG. 26 lower case, 26 higher case( if you've got capitals ) 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 if you're using any numbers etc etc. Seems pretty OTT to me, but I have a stencil set made for it anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

^ seriously? I never really understood what you were allowed do so I'm not going to bother.

anybody else starting tommorow? all set?

Tarzan_man wrote: »
    My art teacher says that because of people doing 100% typography posters and having the stencil for such a poster prepared for the day, that when you're doing stencils you need to do the full alphabet. EG. 26 lower case, 26 higher case( if you've got capitals ) 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 if you're using any numbers etc etc. Seems pretty OTT to me, but I have a stencil set made for it anyways.

:eek: Please tell me this isn't true!!!! My exam's tomorrow and i only have the letters i need prepared!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 george.

-ME- wrote: »
    :eek: Please tell me this isn't true!!!! My exam's tomorrow and i only have the letters i need prepared!

well as far as i know you do not need the full alphabet. my teacher said you only need a stencil of the words you are using and i trust she is right- she is very precise when it comes to the rules and what not. im only doing doing a stencil for the words i need...
    good luck tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Tarzan_man

Hope everything went well with yer exams. Finished up the life drawing and the still life today. Both went pretty well and I'm happy about the results. Very relaxed atmosphere aswell, we could talk to each other, mess about and listen to music if we wanted. All within reason of course.

Advertisement