Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know where I can buy Railway Sleepers

Options
  • 02-05-2009 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭

Hi - I'm working on my garden and looking for some railway sleepers.
    Anyone know where I can buy some in Galway.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Down by Crusheen, when building the WRC, they dumped all the old wooden sleepers on the side of the track facing the road. Give €20 to one of the engineers and I'm sure they wouldnt mind giving you as many as you can carry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

If that fails , i think the scrapyard/ metal yard in Oranmore has them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Kevin Burkes tyres in Athenry, or theres a place outside Ballinasloe that does them as well. You'd be doing well to get a few off Irish Rail, its near impossible get them off them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

dilallio wrote: »
    Hi - I'm working on my garden and looking for some railway sleepers.
    Anyone know where I can buy some in Galway.
    Thanks.
    Dont use them if they have cresote in them. Check the other threads here about garden sleepers/raised beds.:)

What are they?.... there's a sign on a lamp post on the far side of Tuam on the N17 advertising these for sale, was wondering what they are?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sparkzter

What are they?.... there's a sign on a lamp post on the far side of Tuam on the N17 advertising these for sale, was wondering what they are?!

They are the wooden cross pieces that form the tracks that trains run on. hope this helps.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Dont use them if they have cresote in them. Check the other threads here about garden sleepers/raised beds.:)

real cresote laden sleepers no longer available to the public, hence the sign and mobile number on the pole: dont use them: cresote is carcinogenic

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

You can get new pressure treated Sleepers from different places.

The builders providers in oranmore behind Sweeney's petrol station has some non creosoted ones @ around €24 each.
    Horkans garden centre has non cresosted ones as well for €40 (i think) each

Also there's a Timber mill around Galway (i don't know the name off the top of my head, but you'll find them in the advertiser under fuel) that sell them for around €24 as well.

Hope this helps,
    trig

Advertisement