Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on selling Pistol's.

Options
  • 02-05-2009 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi all, hope in right area, if not, can mod move? Thanks.

Anyway, Have taken up deer hunting in big way with a buddy over the last 2 years, both own 9mm pistols and feel we are not using them anymore, so the time has come to sell them, the question is, how?, will we be able to?, what about the licence ban on pistols? etc,,,etc,,

Buddy has a Beretta PX 4 Storm and mine is Beretta FS92 Inox.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

medicman wrote: »
    Hi all, hope in right area, if not, can mod move? Thanks.

Anyway, Have taken up deer hunting in big way with a buddy over the last 2 years, both own 9mm pistols and feel we are not using them anymore, so the time has come to sell them, the question is, how?, will we be able to?, what about the licence ban on pistols? etc,,,etc,,

Buddy has a Beretta PX 4 Storm and mine is Beretta FS92 Inox.

Thanks.

Jaysus that was quick lad, could you not trade them in, or have you got a stalking rifle already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ruger

very hard to sell them with the ban on the way.i have 9mm and can not sell it to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

ruger wrote: »
    very hard to sell them with the ban on the way.i have 9mm and can not sell it to

with the possible ban on the way?

have you tried trading it in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭IDon'tKnow!

Could you not export them to sell them?

Or could you not keep them to dispatch wounded deer at close range.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭medicman

thanks for the replys guys, have deer licence and .270tikka t3, so dont need to trade, not legal to shoot deer with 9mm, or any other animal as far as i know, i was thinking of taking them accross the border up north and selling them there, but dont know whats involved, more research needed.

thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

medicman wrote: »
    thanks for the replys guys, have deer licence and .270tikka t3, so dont need to trade, not legal to shoot deer with 9mm, or any other animal as far as i know, i was thinking of taking them accross the border up north and selling them there, but dont know whats involved, more research needed.

thanks again.

Nothing illegal about its use for humane dispatch as far as I know, could hold onto it for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

Nothing illegal about its use for humane dispatch as far as I know, could hold onto it for that.

As far as I know if you're shooting on Coillte land they will not allow you bring pistols with you on your stalk.

Pat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

If, like the vast majority of licenced pistols here in Ireland, the Firearm Certificate was applied for and granted on the basis of 'Target Shooting' and membership of a target shooting club/range, I'd be very shy of using my pistol for humane dispatch or any other 'hunting' application, regardless of any other hunting permissions or NPWS permits.

Coillte don't allow it, no. However, I couldn't find anything in law that states that you can't use the firearm for a legal purpose other than that for which is is originally granted, provided such is not a condition of your licence. For instance, my target rifle was granted for target shooting, obviously enough, on the basis of club membership. However, I've used it for hunting, which is within the law. similarly, a target shooting pistol could be carried for humane dispatch legally, provided the licence does not contain the condition that it is for target shooting only and provided the landowner is happy enough for you to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I'd be cautious of doing something like that IWM - I don't know the wildlife acts well enough to know whether or not a pistol round would qualify as being legal to shoot a deer with even as a coup de grace, and if the local super took it the wrong way, you could not only lose the licence for using it for something he didn't specifically authorise you to use the firearm for; he might have you done under section 3 for giving a false reason for applying for your cert.
    Generally a bad day all round if that happens.

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    I'd be cautious of doing something like that IWM - I don't know the wildlife acts well enough to know whether or not a pistol round would qualify as being legal to shoot a deer with even as a coup de grace, and if the local super took it the wrong way, you could not only lose the licence for using it for something he didn't specifically authorise you to use the firearm for; he might have you done under section 3 for giving a false reason for applying for your cert.
    Generally a bad day all round if that happens.

It's grey, but the law doesn't provide for minimum energy levels for humane dispatch. In addition, provided you do shoot targets, nailing you under section 3 would be difficult indeed. It's best to speak with the superintendent of course, and I'm not advising on a course of action of any sort, but I am stating that it's not specifically illegal to use a pistol for humane dispatch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

It's grey, but the law doesn't provide for minimum energy levels for humane dispatch. In addition, provided you do shoot targets, nailing you under section 3 would be difficult indeed. It's best to speak with the superintendent of course, and I'm not advising on a course of action of any sort, but I am stating that it's not specifically illegal to use a pistol for humane dispatch.

Apart from the whole issue of suitable calibres (which some pistols patently aren't), the use of a pistol in such circumstances is fraught with danger.

You've no proper backstop, no knowledge of possible ricochet hazards and you're very close (too close IMO) to the 'backstop' anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Considering that most "humane dispatchers" used by vets ,etc are small cal 32's and such for horses and cattle.
    A 9mm or anything over that would be[1] certainly more humane on an animal that has less body weight than a bull or horse.
    [2] There is no mention in the wildlife acts about using a humane killer in this case a pistol cal for a coup de grace.Considering that it was written in 1976,4 years after pistols disappered in Ireland,and we had p"ss poor choices in calibres to hunt deer with in the first place.
    [3] 9mm or .357 magnum are the most common cal on the continent for this kind of work.
    [4] Not as dangerous as dealing with a rifle in dense brush,with an injured animal,or trying to get behind said injured animal to stab at it with an unsuitable knife in a point in the neck to kill it instantly.
    [5]Richochets well,if the animal is down on the ground,you are firing into the chest cavity where the heart is,al the round will go is into the earth.The idea that this is to be used up close and personal,not to hunt with.If you cant get to within say 3meters of the animal to use the handgun and it is still able to get up and run you are doing things wrong.
    [6] Humanity alone dictates that you dispatch your quarry with the most expedient and safe and painless method that the circumstances allow.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

fist off, welcome back G45 ;)

A friend of mine has a .22 revolver licenced to him for deer dispatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Thanks Chem;).

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Considering that most "humane dispatchers" used by vets ,etc are small cal 32's and such for horses and cattle.
    A 9mm or anything over that would be[1] certainly more humane on an animal that has less body weight than a bull or horse.
    [2] There is no mention in the wildlife acts about using a humane killer in this case a pistol cal for a coup de grace.Considering that it was written in 1976,4 years after pistols disappered in Ireland,and we had p"ss poor choices in calibres to hunt deer with in the first place.
    [3] 9mm or .357 magnum are the most common cal on the continent for this kind of work.
    [4] Not as dangerous as dealing with a rifle in dense brush,with an injured animal,or trying to get behind said injured animal to stab at it with an unsuitable knife in a point in the neck to kill it instantly.
    [5]Richochets well,if the animal is down on the ground,you are firing into the chest cavity where the heart is,al the round will go is into the earth.The idea that this is to be used up close and personal,not to hunt with.If you cant get to within say 3meters of the animal to use the handgun and it is still able to get up and run you are doing things wrong.
    [6] Humanity alone dictates that you dispatch your quarry with the most expedient and safe and painless method that the circumstances allow.

I'd have to agree with Grizzly, but the problem in this country is not what's best practice, it what's legal. IMO a double tap with a nine mil or even a .22 at very close range is a lot safer than a .308.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

Hi lads,you would not be allowed to use a pistol for any type of humane dispatch.
    With the new licencing in force for deer hunting you have to do an exam and if you are not able to kill a deer with a single shot you will not be granted a licence.
    If you cant kill a deer with a single shot then you should not be trying it in the first place,same goes for any type of hunting.
    I know a guy who applied for a pistol licence for the purpose of killing wounded deer and he was refused,not only that but almost lost his deer licence unless he completed the new proficiency course.
    Pistols are allowed for the purpose of competition target shooting only and no other reason,also have to prove that you are a member of such a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

daveob007 wrote: »
    Hi lads,you would not be allowed to use a pistol for any type of humane dispatch.
    With the new licencing in force for deer hunting you have to do an exam and if you are not able to kill a deer with a single shot you will not be granted a licence.
    If you cant kill a deer with a single shot then you should not be trying it in the first place,same goes for any type of hunting.
    I know a guy who applied for a pistol licence for the purpose of killing wounded deer and he was refused,not only that but almost lost his deer licence unless he completed the new proficiency course.
    Pistols are allowed for the purpose of competition target shooting only and no other reason,also have to prove that you are a member of such a club.

What are you on about?? The HCAP??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Assuming that chem is correct above, that makes two handguns that I know of that were applied for and licenced for the purpose of humane dispatch of deer.

Certainly, it's rare, but it's not unheard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There's no such requirement unless you're shooting on Coillte land in which case you have to pass the HCAP test; off Coillte land, the HCAP isn't needed.
    While I agree with the sentiment that you should be able to put a round where it has to go, I've learnt from the hunters in here over the years that even when everything goes right and the round goes where it should, that does not guarantee a clean kill; and sometimes things go wrong (the deer flinches at the wrong instant or whatever). At that point, having the ability to take a follow-up or coup d'grace shot cleanly would be a Good Thing (tm).
    I know a guy who applied for a pistol licence for the purpose of killing wounded deer and he was refused
    Yes, but everyone in here knows of a guy who applied on the same grounds and was granted that licence on that basis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭IDon'tKnow!

When hunting you are are shooting at living targets meaning that there is always going to be a chance that your target will move.

Because of this you can never be 100% sure that you will hit your target cleanly.

It is because of this that there might be a need for hunters to be able to dispatch wounded deer at close range. Every hunter would hope to never have to do this but it can happen.

All you can ask for is that the hunter has the means to dispatch wounded deer as safely as possible if the need does arise.

Advertisement