Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Been shopping

Options
  • 02-05-2009 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

Well I've been a very bold boy (when my wife finds out) and just bought one of these
    I've been hankering for a good lathe for years,using a draper that frustrates me every time I use it so finally bit the bullet.Didn't take the stand,which knocked €170 off the price,I intend to mount on a bench,probably with a few bags of sand below for some stability. At least now I can't blame the lathe if my projects go belly up:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Which one did you get?Just seen that recordpower are doing a show in mcquillans on 15/16th this month

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

The CL4 cam. Comes with the outboard bowl rest,variable speed and invertor. Hopefully no more slowdowns.The guy in capel told me the other day that when his present stock goes prices are going up,not sure if that's because of vat or what.

Very nice dubtom. Don't think mcquillins need an excuse for high prices:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

dubtom wrote: »
    The guy in capel told me the other day that when his present stock goes prices are going up,not sure if that's because of vat or what.
    All, if not most, Record stuff is now made in China, so I'm guessing they're getting stung by the sterling exchange rate .

Just spent the day putting the lathe together.Goes nicely. As usual when I put stuff together I'm left with bits. Fortunatly today there was only one,a brass bar.Can't for the life of me figure out what it's for.I've read the two manuals twice and I'm still no wiser.It's not a push out bar,as in for removing a centre from the head or tail stock,I'm leaning towards thinking it's for bearing removal or something along those lines but can't find anything in the manual about it,although it gives full instructions on how to do that. Any idea's anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

from the link
    <<The CL4 uses a 3 phase motor and invertor to provide the power from a normal 240v single phase supply. This is a professional solution and used throughout the machine tool industry. The 3 phase motor provides plenty of power and torque, especially at low speeds and the invertor converts the single phase supply into three phase and enables stepless, infinite speed variation. >>

très intéressant en effet [aka very interesting indeed]

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

Very nice, has the wife found out yet?

Ha,actually she brought me a coffee while I was putting it together and didn't even notice it wasn't the same lathe,ignorance is bliss.

lol:D Dubtom,mines exactly the same!!

+1
    and if they come back from the hairdressers and we dont notice...............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 misschipp

Carlow52 wrote: »
    +1
    and if they come back from the hairdressers and we dont notice...............

Mr. Carlow,
    What do you do then when the likes of myself would come back for the haidressers AND have a new lathe under construction? ;)

Dubtom,
    Well done and congrats on acquiring a CL4, I hope you have many years of turning pleasure. I am so jealous, variable speed and all the trimmings.
    You are a bit like me, I hide clothes purchases from the hubby, then say (in my new top), "this old thing, sure I've had it for ages, can't believe you didn't notice it before" (this is reverse psychology, I make him feel bad for not taking enough notice)
    I have a CL1 and I am happy enough with it for hobby turning.
    I am currently awaiting an axminster variable speed mini lathe, as I will be travelling for the next year and need something portable.
    I will be locking up my workshop for a year, so I am busy preparing a million blanks to take with me as I won't have my machinery onhand.
    Jac

Travelling for a year with a lathe, now that's dedication misschip. I haven't been as active in the turning field the last couple of years so it's sort of like a learning experience all over again, familiarising my self with chisels and the new machine. The variable speed is nice all right, still need to change belts manually though, although I can't see myself going up to 4500K any time soon. The one thing I'm especially pleased with is the banjo set-up, record call it cam, where tool rests/ head, tail are locked solid with a flick. I had a draper for years and from day one I had to use vice grips on everything that needed to be tightened, that really was a turn off for me. Best of luck with the new machine and your travels.

. The variable speed is nice all right, still need to change belts manually though, .

Interesting: the blurb on the link gives the impression that there are no belts:)

What is the setup then?
    Thanks

Yes it surprised me when I saw it in the shop.The variable has about 5 settings for each placement of the belt. In theory I suppose it could be left on a middle cog and never changed,but moving the belt is a very simple procedure,30 second job. I had a variable Fox that worked quite well with the shove of a handle,unfortunatly it was underpowered and the banjo's were kak.

Yes it surprised me when I saw it in the shop.The variable has about 5 settings for each placement of the belt. In theory I suppose it could be left on a middle cog and never changed,but moving the belt is a very simple procedure,30 second job. I had a variable Fox that worked quite well with the shove of a handle,unfortunatly it was underpowered and the banjo's were kak.

Thanks, I have a SIP drill press with 3 pulley blocks, complete pain in the .... hence my question: I baulked at the variable speed electronic version on price grounds 10 years ago

Advertisement