Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

simple design for band website/myspace header etc.

Options
  • 02-05-2009 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, i ****ing hate computers, can't stand them. so bad with them its not even funny.

We are after purchasing the domain name for our band & some band width (right term?)......looking for someone to do up the site-just real basic & design some sort of logo that we could use as a skin on myspace too.

Anyone have any ideas of companies/individuals etc who would do this kind of thing, and how much you'd be talking?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Ok, i ****ing hate computers, can't stand them. so bad with them its not even funny.

Nice name for a band.

Anyway if you want you could request posters here PM you to offer their services.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

thanks

yea cool, if anyone thinks they could be off help to me, don't hesitate to give me a pm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭W!zard

Try adverts.ie, plenty of web designers around.

Be careful, the typical going rate even for basic sites is around 300 euro.
    But this is still too much. Get all the photos you want, videos (use Youtube links), and write down a few details of your band, contact, etc.

Having all this info ready for a designer, should put you in the driving seat to get the costs down. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

W!zard wrote: »
    Try adverts.ie, plenty of web designers around.
    Adverts.ie is not a good place to find professional web designers. You may find some hobbyists or students, which may be useful but it's something to be aware of.
    But this is still too much. Get all the photos you want, videos (use Youtube links), and write down a few details of your band, contact, etc.
    300 euro - where are you getting your figure from? That's very low, you won't get much for that.

To the Original Poster, what's your budget, what's your general marketing strategy at the moment. Do you have one? For most bands, a myspace page will offer quite a bit. If you want something a little bit nicer then you can try www.virb.com or www.purevolume.com and see how you get on. Later, if you've got a higher budget, then you could look at commissioning a freelance designer or developer to create a nice custom site with all your own artwork etc... however if you're just starting out, then it may not be worth the investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

W!zard wrote: »

Wow, I really hope you're not calling yourself a 'web designer'. If €300 is pricey, you have absolutely NO CLUE!!!

• Advertisement

The poster is looking for a basic website, so yes even a student web designer can create such a website that does not cost as much as a Pro web design company would for the same. Read his post again.

kjt - check your local classified ads, there is a few here where they are advertising those rates (I think CubeMedia is the name) for a basic website and for what it seems a Band website, yes 300 might be abit of a cost to young lads starting out.. we are not talking about U2 here ..

If you are going to write I have no clue, come up with a better price! :eek:

If you where referring to €300 being a bit much for the OP to spend, then maybe. If they want it done cheap, I'm sure they could get it done for free by a student. Although, you get what you pay for!

If you where to go to a professional web designer I would expect the lowest price you get is €700-1000 for a personal design. Not just a template knockoff.

I would expect most people in my 'local classified ads' to be jokers and people trying to make a quick buck. Most of the time they just throwing out templates to people who know no better. I'm sure theirs a market for badly coded websites, so all the best to the wannabe web designers out there.

Anywho, best of luck OP. I won't drag this any futher off topic :)

Thanks kjt, I share the same thoughts as yourself and I think the poster is better informed with your last post. Good one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

kjt wrote: »
    If you where to go to a professional web designer I would expect the lowest price you get is €700-1000 for a personal design. Not just a template knockoff.

That's still very cheap imho.... I personally wouldn't take a web design job for anywhere near that. That said, I haven't done sites for a few years now - There just too much hassle (edits, update, etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cabete

kjt wrote: »
    If you where referring to €300 being a bit much for the OP to spend, then maybe. If they want it done cheap, I'm sure they could get it done for free by a student. Although, you get what you pay for!

I totally agree on that. I know one guy that design web in Dublin and he is a musician too maybe he'll make you a discount for being musician. I don't know :) this is his website www.Rossflash.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭ana_conda

I'd be interested to know what people are charging for site design too. I've done my own site

Its for a video productions company

www.videoproductions.ie

....i've done graphics for years and i'm interested in getting into web design but have no idea what to charge clients..Its all depends on how long it takes to complete.. if you have to constantly redesign a site for a client it can go on forever!

how do web design companies working out how to charge client??

:pAna:p

www.videoproductions.ie
    Wedding Videos in Ireland

ana_conda wrote: »

how do web design companies working out how to charge client??

The same as any other company... work out how much you charge per hour x how many hours it will take..

thanks that's really helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

ana_conda wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know what people are charging for site design too. I've done my own site
    Its for a video productions company
    www.videoproductions.ie
    Wanted to check out the site, but just a heads up, seems to be problems with it loading in Firefox.

p wrote: »
    Wanted to check out the site, but just a heads up, seems to be problems with it loading in Firefox.

thanks P for letting me know ....that has happened in a few cases and i cant figure out why?? I dont think its firefox because i use firefox and i'm not having any problems ...i've narrowed it down to two things

do you have a strong broadband connection?

and do you know if you've gotten flash player installed? (flash player allows you to play flash sites with animation)

I'm hoping its the flash player problem need to sort out a prompt to install player if its not installed....

Grrr ....this is what i mean about web design you cant calculate how many hours its going to take because it constantly has to be revisited and redesigned

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

if it's any help it doesn't load on safari here, with a good connection and flash installed.

Pixelcraft wrote: »
    if it's any help it doesn't load on safari here, with a good connection and flash installed.

oh that is not good news! i will never use flash to design a site again very problematic .........i could cry :(

If either pixelcraft or P are on line would you mind checking the site now think it might be a security issue. just changed something and want to see if it made any difference

www.videoproductions.ie

thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

still the same i'm afraid

Pixelcraft wrote: »
    still the same i'm afraid

:( thanks pixelcraft i might try something else and bother you again later ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭davgtrek

site worked fine for me on mac & firefox.
    commercial under construction but wedding stuff was fine.
    Nice enough site layout. simple and effective. the flash is fine.
    i just checked out one sample movie ( sample 1 ) and i think you could edit it down further. theres small snips of seconds around transitions that could be lost perhaps.

i liked the overall feel though of site and imagery.

davgtrek wrote: »
    site worked fine for me on mac & firefox.
    commercial under construction but wedding stuff was fine.
    Nice enough site layout. simple and effective. the flash is fine.
    i just checked out one sample movie ( sample 1 ) and i think you could edit it down further. theres small snips of seconds around transitions that could be lost perhaps.

i liked the overall feel though of site and imagery.

Thanks very much davgtreck for the kind comments! I think there were problems when P and PixelCraft were checking the site for me but i think i've resolved them all now

The site was alot of work for me and my first time putting one live to the net. And i think your right about the sample one it maybe a bit long wiinded I will be up dating the samples alot so will look at reducing the time on that one think it could be up to 7 min long!

Advertisement