Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

That is 'so not' true

• 02-05-2009 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭

This ridiculous 'so not' negative has gained currency in recent times, in statements such as:

'That is so not true.'
    'That is so not going to happen.'

While these grammatically incorrect constructions of words may have seemed trendy and humorous at first, I think the 'so not' usage has long since passed its sell-by date, with its edges dulled by surfeit.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

The Raven. wrote: »
    This ridiculous 'so not' negative has gained currency in recent times, in statements such as:

'That is so not true.'

While these grammatically incorrect constructions of words may have seemed trendy and humorous at first, I think the 'so not' usage has long since passed its sell-by date, with its edges dulled by surfeit.

Any thoughts?

Like, I'm just so not disagreeing with you, man. But most people are just, like, you know, "whatever". So, yeah, what can you do, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I like, don't really agree, per se.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Em...well, ya no, like that's so not cool :cool:!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

That's, like, been so totally around since Friends plagued our screens some, what, 12-13 years ago?

My (7-year old) daughter uses that construction too. I'm not sure if she's getting it in school, or perhaps from Drake and Josh / iCarly or other programmes of that ilk.

Just thought of another variant of "so" that annoys the hell out of me.
    it seems to be an, err, trait *cough*affliction*cough* of my country cousins. To wit:

Me: Did you go to the shops?
    Cousin: Aye, I did, so I did.

Me: Will you (do something)?
    Cousin:Aye, I will, so I will.

Me: Did he go to the pub?
    Cousin:Aye, he did, so he did.

What's with all the tautology? Some anarcho-facist-bogger conspiracy to drive me nuts? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Yakuza wrote: »
    it seems to be an, err, trait *cough*affliction*cough* of my country cousins. To wit:

What's with all the tautology? Some anarcho-facist-bogger conspiracy to drive me nuts? :)

There's nothing wrong talking like that, so there isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

Yakuza wrote: »

That's been in Hiberno-English for a few hundred years. I think it relates to Irish language syntax, though I'm not sure.

Múinteoir wrote: »
    That's been in Hiberno-English for a few hundred years. I think it relates to Irish language syntax, though I'm not sure.

I know that a lot of Hiberno English does come from direct translation of Irish syntax into English ("Tá mé tar eís dul go dti an siopa" - "I'm after going to the shops" - which would baffle most Queen's English speakers, but make perfect sense to a Hiberno-English speaker as another way of saying "I've just been to the shops". "Don't be doing that" would be another example. As far as I know there's no direct equivalent to "yes" and "no" in Irish, you just respond in a positive or negative sense to a question:

?: An bhfuil tú réidh? (Are you ready?)
    +: Tá mé réidh (I am ready)
    -: Níl mé réidh (I am not ready)

but they can be shortened to "Tá mé" and "Níl mé", as the context is clear, but there's no repetition involved; I can't see where the "I am, so I am / he did, so he did" comes in.

Ah well, one of the mysteries of life :)

Now, my Irish is 20+ years rusty, so I'm open to correction, but I don't think I should go further off topic from the original post, nor start discussing finer points of Irish grammar in the English language forum.:p

Mods - maybe create a Hiberno-English sub-forum of the English one? :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Could you not just make one megathread for all your riff-raff scorning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 GENGIS KH@N

'That is so not true.'

Young people in France use the same words constructions:
    so not= trop pas
    They said:c'est trop pas vrai:That is so not true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭dublintuition

Another thing that annoys me is the use of double negatives in sentences:

"Im not doing nothing" the speaker means "I'm not doing anything" but is in fact stating th opposite, admitting "I'm up to something"

annoying mainly becasue students don't understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 PurplePossum

We're like, so totally over American slang lingo here, it is so not cool! Leave it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

Múinteoir wrote: »

The irony of someone calling themselves "Múinteoir" posting this is just FAAAAAANNNTASTIC.

Advertisement