Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

corsair 650w/750w crossfire 4890?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

the case is open all the time at the moment ( i stood on the side pannel when it was lying on the ground and it hasn't fit properly since :rolleyes:) but It doesn't seem to make the slightest bit of difference, they've always been at that temperature. I guess that doesn't say a whole lot for the case though. I have an old Targa case from an old pc my old man bought years ago. Looks like crap but its a solid build and evrything slots toghether beautifuly, I was thinking of swapping out their guts but I'm not sure if the old case was built with the same design values in mind

http://www.chw-computer.net/Gebrauchte-Hardware/Desktop-oder-Tower-Computer-Seite-95.html

this is the exact case with different hardware.

I'm not sure if form factor would be a problem so I'll have to take a closer look. at the risk of sounding vulger it looks like its got all the holes in the right place. what do you guys think?

the case I have at the moment is a piece of crap, I was kind of strapped for cash when I bought it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

ATX is the standard, if you can fit the guts in that old case you can fit them pretty much anywhere- OK, slight exagerration, in any mid tower or larger (minitowers are mATX only). There are no BTX cases on the market anymore so there's minimal room for error anywhere.

And a new ATX case you will need! That PoS really pushes the word "fail" to new heights. Y'see, I'm pretty sure any tower worth its salt was never specced with just one 60mm fan for full system cooling. That's just wrong. :o

But if those are open-system temps I have a bad feeling the CPU cooler isn't doing its job properly for some reason. You really need to test with the new cooler and case fitted and sealed to see if its a fatal issue - if we're dumping the stock cooler and that case there's no point worrying too much about them.

Oh, and as for reasonably accurate software CPU temp readings, for Intel its CoreTemp ftw ;) See if that gives you different readings...

sh1te I hadn't planned on getting a new case, I guess i'll just have to stick with the old one, maybe I can hammer it back into place so it fits on there again. downloaded coretemp and it reports 56-58 idle, thats closer to what the bios is reporting, I'm itching to take it off and refit it just to see if thats the actual broblem but I have exams at the moment and essays to write so I cant risk destroying something. just two weeks ..... two long weeks..... of hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Apart from the obvious implications of using such a cheap, nasty, poorly ventilated case with high end components, would you really want to build a new gaming machine inside that?? A solid, decent case would cost as little as 50 euro (Antec 300), and it will make a world of difference for temps and hemorrhaging of the eyes. 56-58 idle in bios is a bad sign, and should be the temperature under load really, regardless of what case you're using. Could be poor thermal paste, or the cooler isn't seated correctly - this happens a lot with the pushpin design of S775, it can appear to be seated firmly and correctly but one pin might not be inserted correctly, and even a minimal lack of proper contact can result in high temperatures. I did it once too and was hitting 80c idle, worst thing is that I only installed coretemp last on my build, and so for hours had the cpu like that. :o

Just take off the cooler, clean off all the thermal paste from the cpu and cooler, and reapply a pea sized amount of decent paste (buy some decent paste, using nasty cheap paste will give you poor temps anyway) to the top of the CPU, spreading it evenly with a thin card. Then refit the cooler, making sure each pin clicks into place.

Ok so I got the corsair 750 w psu in the post today, slapped it into the machine and re-installed my ati 4890 1gb.
    as i wast installing the video drivers I got a messege that said

severe:

zero display error

I pressed ok and continued the install,
    the card seems to be functioning correctlty but about five minutes later a horrible (and I mean HORRIBLE:eek:) grinding noise began to come out of the computer. I hit the power button to avoid damage and inspected the inside of the machine, all looked well and all fans seemed to be spinning unhindered, so I plugged everything back in and booted. evrything seems to be running fine. iv'e been playing crysis warhead on games setting in 1080p with no problems, should I be worried about the phantom noise. It's still unclear whether it was the psu or the gpu that caused it.:confused:

• Advertisement

Video card or PCIe plugs may be loose; check them along with the PSU connections with the mobo (EPS and 24pin). Keep an eye on those fans, make sure all cables are carefully routed around them and secured! A cable may have added to the mayhem by jamming itself into fan blades, which could explain the noise :o

Also update the video card drivers with the latest Catalysts from ATi's website. Are you still getting mad CPU temps? I'm not liking this at all... :confused:

I did as you suggested and tied all the cables back, no sign of that noise and the card seems to be performing properly, I had a good go at getting the dust off the heatsink and my cpu temps are down a good 5C so there sitting around 55 at idle:) not pefect but a lot better. the bios is reporting 49-51 :D just gonna keep the old fingers crossed and hope for the best for the moment. thanks for the suggestions, I'm off to kill some koreans with my maximum strength:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

55' is still not ideal, You definitely need to replace thermal paste and You probably need to get a better cooler (and case maybe). Get a can of compressed air for cleaning the inside of the pc.

I'm guessing there's too much dust in there (effectively adding another layer of insulation; not good!) and the fan may be on its way off this mortal coil on top of thermal contact phail. I don't care how, just get your hands on a Arctic Freezer 7 or Akasa AK-965 and stick it on ASAP! Those temps can't be good for your CPU long-term! :eek:

Also think about the case question, in the meantime keep the side off and try and dust things off good and proper! Canned air is your friend! :D

Advertisement