Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

celebrity chefs!!!!

• 02-05-2009 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

WITH THE RECENT RECESSION TAKING HOLD THROUGHOUT THE GLOBE MANY OF THESE SO CALLED "CELEBRITY CHEFS" BUSINESS'S ARE CLOSING DOWN.THE LIKES OF GORDON RAMSAY TOM AIKEN AND ANTHONY WORRAL THOMSON TO NAME BUT A FEW.I MYSELF AM A CHEF AND THE VERY FACT THAT THESE CHEFS SOLD THEIR SOUL TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER IN ORDER TO GAIN BRAND RECOGNITION MAKES ME JUST A LITTLE HAPPY TO SEE THEM TOIL IN THEIR OWN SELF DESTRUCTION.

I FEEL SORRY FOR THE STAFF THAT HAVE LOST THEIR JOBS IN THESE ESTABLISHMENTS BUT IM THRILLED THAT THESE EGO DRIVEN SHAMS ARE GETTING THEIR JUST DESSERTS(EXCUSE THE PUN)..

ANY THOUGHTS?????

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

None of them arfe closing kictens they own themselves, ramsey certainly isn's and they are all well covered financially (like when J.C. was "head" chef in la stampa).

The only people losing out in the closure of their kitchens are the staff and the investors/property owners, the "Excuitive" Chefs of these kitchens just loose the pay checque from one of their meny kitchens, doutb they are terribley pushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 overdar26

UNDERSTAND THAT COMPLETELY AND IM SORRY FOR THE STAFF LOSING OUT BIG TIME WHILE THE LIKES OF RAMSAYAND THOMSON JUST ENDORSE ANOTHER PRODUCT ON T.V. AND CONSOLE THEMSELVES WITH ANOTHER PAYCHECK....

Exactly.

Also, please turn off your caps lock, just a tip!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 overdar26

oh rite sorry bout that so you a chef yourself?????

Yup.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Someone sounds bitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

My thoughts:

I've always been impressed by the sheer work ethic of some of these guys.
    I mean, imagine 'running' several restaurants, having a busy TV career and keep a family, oh and knock off a few books in your spare time!
    I'd love to have the motivation and/or talent to manage one of those things successfully!

It only bothers me when these people really sell out by endorsing crappy products or opening very bad restaurants. To be fair lots of them maintained their integrity.

While I'm often guilty of it, I try not to take pleasure in other's downfalls.

Also the sheep who patronise over rated, over priced, over hyped restaurants and pander to the notion of 'celebrity' must take responsibility for creating media chef monsters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

Adding my thoughts as well :-)
    I know that there are many chefs on tv and they are also using it to get some more people coming to their restaurants; some chefs are also really popular and people tend to judge their food and restaurants only from what they see on TV, which is wrong.

I think it's better to separate what is a celebrity chef from the kind of food it is served on its restaurant and judge the food for what it really is

When it comes to restaurant management I think it's more a business thing, they are good manager *and* good chefs, some of them are only good managers but that's a different discussion :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Chefs become celebrities because people love watching their cookery programmes. I think most people who are interested in cooking will have learnt a lot from watching them on television.
    Whether or not people want to eat in these chefs' restaurants is up to themselves really.

Advertisement