Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QX9750 on an Dell Dimension E520 with motherboard DM061

Options
  • 02-05-2009 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hello All,

I have in my possesion a QX9750. I am having difficulty in tracking down whether this is a 775 or 771 socket chip. Also I'd like to plug it in to my existing pc if possible. It has a dell dm061 motherboard(775) running core 2 duo e6400 2.13MHz with the Broadwater 965G chipset. I don't know if this will work or not. Has anybody any experience with one of these babies? Me head is wrecked with lack of info.

Thanks,

Pukey.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

It's a socket 775 chip but it's designed to run on a 1600(400mhz quad pumped) front side bus which I don't think the E520 system supports.
    Put it in and see. The worst thing that will happen is it won't work, it's not going to blow up or anything...

The QX9770 is the Socket 771 chip you're mixing it up with..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

SickBoy wrote:
    The QX9770 is the Socket 771 chip you're mixing it up with..

The QX9775 is the Socket 771 chip SickBoy is mixing it up with.. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Solitaire wrote: »
    The QX9775 is the Socket 771 chip SickBoy is mixing it up with.. :P

QX9775
    Stupid name for a socket 771 chip!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pukeohontas

Well I pluged it in, but the only reply i got was the cpu fan continuing to ramp in speed. I presumed this was not good post 60 seconds, so I took it right back out. No beeps from the motherboard though, so I'm not sure if this is fatal or not. I mod'ed to 2.4.0 phoenix bios to see if that helped, but no joy. Does anyone know if this mobo supports this chip? I consider myself quite astute at websearch, but I've uncovered conflicting stories wherever I go. I'll bet there's an ubergeek out there that has the answer. Kudos in advance to the saviour. :)
    Thanks for the advice so far though lads. Good to know it's a 775. At least it's a fighting chance. I also found ONE blog that said it was compatible with the 965 chipset. So here I am. I'm willing to fork out moolah for a new mobo, but it would have to be i7 compatible. I presume that's the next freebie i'll have access to, in 6 months or so, so I don't want to invest in a oneoff mb when i know i'll have to shell out a lot more for the i7 beast. I will leave it if thats the case.
    Pukey

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Well I pluged it in, but the only reply i got was the cpu fan continuing to ramp in speed. I presumed this was not good post 60 seconds, so I took it right back out. No beeps from the motherboard though, so I'm not sure if this is fatal or not. I mod'ed to 2.4.0 phoenix bios to see if that helped, but no joy. Does anyone know if this mobo supports this chip? I consider myself quite astute at websearch, but I've uncovered conflicting stories wherever I go. I'll bet there's an ubergeek out there that has the answer. Kudos in advance to the saviour. :)
    Thanks for the advice so far though lads. Good to know it's a 775. At least it's a fighting chance. I also found ONE blog that said it was compatible with the 965 chipset. So here I am. I'm willing to fork out moolah for a new mobo, but it would have to be i7 compatible. I presume that's the next freebie i'll have access to, in 6 months or so, so I don't want to invest in a oneoff mb when i know i'll have to shell out a lot more for the i7 beast. I will leave it if thats the case.
    Pukey
    You could give it to me if you want. :D Worth a shot.

• Advertisement

LOL.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I also found ONE blog that said it was compatible with the 965 chipset

AFAIK i965 has really patchy compatibility with 45nm Core2s, especially C2Q. Its a real lottery to see which boards have BIOS updates for which 45nm CPUs, and I doubt many made any provision for the Q97XX series, retail or not :(

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mgadget

No go I am afraid to say. I have the same Dell and it will only support Intel chips with an 800 or 1066 FSB. I don't think you'll get any joy with a newer dell apart from something from the XPS series. Their mainstream PC boards are usually unadjustable for FSB and most of there product range would be a 1333 FSB, so in effect no joy unless you are going to buy the components and build a PC yourself.

The way the i7 gear is dropping in price (mainboards and RAM) I'd say your best of waiting to see if you can get the lend of an i7 later in the year.

At least that's what I'm doing ;)
    Pukey

Thanks for clearing that up. It goes back Wednesday so. I'll take one of the lower quads for now. Thanks for the feedback as always lads. you were very helpful especially mgadget, and solitare.
    Shame as I was looking forward to playing with this.

I'll come back with the next chip and I'll let you know how I got on.

Pukey....

Advertisement