Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PVC Front Door

• 02-05-2009 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

We are thinking of changing our front door to a pvc one. Its a standard one in a semi D. No side panels ect.

Anyone know of a good supply and install company and a guesstimate of a price.

Based in Dublin

Its a pipe dream at the moment, just curious about costings

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Hi bright, it varies. Tbh its not cheap yor looking at the guts of 2k in dublin. My brother is a glazer and he does them privatly sometimes.The only difference is he usually does all the work with you cutting out one labour and it still cost €1500+ so is it really worth the saving???

This is not intended as advertising as my brother is to busy at the moment my point is even going cheaper you dont save much. How the shop view these jobs are supply only! Dont know why they are so expensive cause they make it look simple.

nb: if you get really cheaper prices than 2k be careful. Pay out nothing till the job is done! I priced around a lot and this was the best I got. Why did I price around? I dont just take my brothers advice without checking, come to think, I dont take anybodies advice without checking which is what I'd advise you to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

You can buy them off the shelf in B & Q . Got one for a side extension, very cheap.

lods wrote: »
    You can buy them off the shelf in B & Q . Got one for a side extension, very cheap.

Yes I seen those myself, not a bad price either, I forgot these. How much did your door and fitter work out at....do you know if they do side panels???

Yes I seen those myself, not a bad price either, I forgot these. How much did your door and fitter work out at....do you know if they do side panels???

Can't remember now. Easy to fit yourself, came pre hung in a frame. Can't see them on their website. Various composite doors for £500

lods wrote: »
    Can't remember now. Easy to fit yourself, came pre hung in a frame. Can't see them on their website. Various composite doors for £500

£500/€635 euro! you cant go wrong. even if you fit it wrong and it lasted 5 years buying 2 would work out cheaper than what I was quoted.

No doubt the have all the security locks etc. choic of glass, etc

Thanks for that.

• Advertisement

£500/€635 euro! you cant go wrong. even if you fit it wrong and it lasted 5 years buying 2 would work out cheaper than what I was quoted.

No doubt the have all the security locks etc. choic of glass, etc

Thanks for that.
    You buy the lock & letter box seperate(cheap enoughh). Gives you a choice of Brass/chrome etc. Mine came with Stained glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Cheers folks, well we have a brown one at the moment and primed it and are painting it white today, but i might go to b and q with my measurements today and see whats on offer.

anyone know how much it would be to get someone to install it? would want it done properly rather then a half arsed effort!

went to b and q, lovely white pcv door and frame for 585, minus 10% off for may leaves it at 530. just need letter box, handle, lock ect after that.

any one know how much installation would be, by someone qualifies pref. cheers

anyone got a guesstimate on a cost?

brightkane wrote: »
    anyone got a guesstimate on a cost?

No sorry the problem is who ever fits it now if its a company they will mark it up high for the loss on sale so its likely going to be a nixer. You will just have to bargin your best!

ps: do you know if they do the side panels as well>>>

• Advertisement

coudlnt tell u mate to be honest. we just say the one we were after and didnt really look at the rest of them.

Yeah would be happy to get it done as a nixer, but would rather someone who does it as oart of their profession then someone chancing their arm!

coudlnt tell u mate to be honest. we just say the one we were after and didnt really look at the rest of them.

Yeah would be happy to get it done as a nixer, but would rather someone who does it as oart of their profession then someone chancing their arm!

I know a lad that fits them in dublin/meath let me know if it suits and i will pm you his number

well even if u could get a price off him, we would know what were dealing with then. its not a priority at the mo, need to paint and do the floors first.

but if he was willing to give you a price it would be great

Senator windows emailed me back

White PVCu door would be in or around €2,200 to €3,500
    depending on style and material.

well even if u could get a price off him, we would know what were dealing with then. its not a priority at the mo, need to paint and do the floors first.

but if he was willing to give you a price it would be great

Dont put in the floors around the door yet! So if its your hall put it off till the door is in.

with the installation they might get marked, cut ect?

we would just be replacing an existing wooden floor also.

let me know what price he says anyways, be interesting to know.

I have seen them done before and doesnt seem to be alot to it when you knoww hat your doing.

with the installation they might get marked, cut ect?

we would just be replacing an existing wooden floor also.

let me know what price he says anyways, be interesting to know.

I have seen them done before and doesnt seem to be alot to it when you knoww hat your doing.

Your an awful man your not reading. If he does not think he is going to get the job why would he quote and more importantly why am i going to ring him and make mayself look daft, do you get me!

You will have to ring sorry!

fair enough, i was just looking for a ball park figure, nothing concrete,we will need to save for it is all, the handy money isnt there unfortunatley

• Registered Users Posts: 9 RachelMorrogh

Hey All,

I'm in the process of getting a new front door and frame for my house in East Wall and quotes varied hugely - €2,100 to €790 (excl. labour and fittings). Decided to go for mid-range price (from Door Choice and timber frame, not PVC), and the house is being measured tomorrow, so I'll let you know what they're like!

I think that to get a carpenter to fit a door is about €300...

Let us know how it gos Rachel.

Beamount windows and doors quoted me €1000 for the door and fitted also.

• Advertisement

Yep, I'll let you know. Only problem is that the door I want can't have a letter box in it but I don't mind getting a wall mounted one.

Also, you have to paint / varnish it yourself (suits me better actually so I can choose a colour I want!).

If of any interest, this is the website: http://www.doorchoice.ie/mahogany_doors.html

I'll let you know how it goes tonight anyway!

R

cool, sure let us know with pics and end prices, we want to go with pvc, but be good to see anyways

Got the door measured last night and it's not a standard size - grrrr! Hasn't impacted on price though which is great!

The workmanship and product is guaranteed too which is a relief if I'm going to spend a lot of money on it. It totals about €1,000 which includes a mahogany door, locks, door furniture, new door frame and some fancy glass!

I know it's quite expensive but I'm willing to pay a little bit extra in case something goes wrong.

Hope this helps and good luck with your door hunt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭cltt97

I got a composite (fibreglass) door fitted recently. 2500 Euro including fitting. It's the absolute business. Very solid, with 3 point locking system and the difference to before in terms of keeping the heat in is fantastic!

2.5k unfortunatley isnt in our budget at the moment. Hopeing to get an off the shelf model in B and Q and get it installed as a nixer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

I can't believe the prices being quoted here - I just got a window changed out to a French patio door in Dublin, ordered doors and frame direct from the factory for 750 delivered, top quality white uPVC with Pilkington K glass etc. A local builder installed it including cutting out the wall under the original window, making good inside and out for 350. 2-3k just to change a single front door sounds mad!

Find a good local small builder who comes recommended and get him to quote the job.

what place did you buy the door from Pete?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

brightkane: what place did you buy the door from Pete?
    Yesterday 22:00

See your PM - in case I'm not supposed to advertise any particular vendor here.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭chka

Pete67 wrote: »
    See your PM - in case I'm not supposed to advertise any particular vendor here.
    Hi Pete. Can I also have the name of the uPVC vendor? Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dubme2

i just bought a white uvpc front door double glaze 120 euro,in frame
    up at island bridge into the right at the flats. can,t think of the name of hand they do everything new and secound hand any thing to do with a house, brought it home and fitted it myself not a problem

Advertisement