Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Upgrate Question

Options
  • 02-05-2009 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

so ive been on the eircom website and i upgraded from the "up to 3MB" to "up to 7MB" from the website but what happens now?i cant ring them since its a bank holiday weekend so ill have to wait til tuesday, do they send us out a new modem/router thingy?...on my current deal on the 3MB i have always had a 54.0mbps speed, will my speed increase once this upgrade is done?...any replys would be thankful cos im a bit clueless:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

marko91 wrote: »
    so ive been on the eircom website and i upgraded from the "up to 3MB" to "up to 7MB" from the website but what happens now?i cant ring them since its a bank holiday weekend so ill have to wait til tuesday, do they send us out a new modem/router thingy?...on my current deal on the 3MB i have always had a 54.0mbps speed, will my speed increase once this upgrade is done?...any replys would be thankful cos im a bit clueless:o

The 54mbit you mention is actually the speed of your network and not the speed of your broadband.

You won't need a new modem or anything, they should just press the button and upgrade you.
    I'm not sure how quick Eircom are with the upgrades from the site but I'm guessing its quick enough. Go to http://192.168.1.254/ it should show what speed you are connected on the front page.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

i remember we ordered ours in the afternoon and the following morning we had it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

The 54mbit you mention is actually the speed of your network and not the speed of your broadband.

You won't need a new modem or anything, they should just press the button and upgrade you.
    I'm not sure how quick Eircom are with the upgrades from the site but I'm guessing its quick enough. Go to http://192.168.1.254/ it should show what speed you are connected on the front page.

on the site they say it may take up to 10 days to upgrade but thats ok...im confused on the speeds...is my broadband running at 3mb or 54mbit?and when then upgrade to 7mb is complete thats a little over double 3mb so will i have speeds of around 108mbit+ ?...basicly my bspeeds will double yes?

edit: on my broadband homepage it says the speed is "3072/384 (kbps)" thats on a 3mb...so when the 7mb is up and running will them numbers be doubled?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Wireless speeds are different from internet speed.
    Your wireless is Wireless g which is 54meg/108meg speed depending on the router you get. This doens't affect your internet speed of 3meg and regardless if you increase your internet speed to 7meg you still only have 54meg speed wireless.
    Vica versa increasing your router speed (as in chagning the hardware to Wireless N which is 300meg) has no impact on your internet speed.
    Your 3meg still stays at 3meg.

On your homepage once you upgrade you will get approx 7000/384..as far as I know upload speed does not change.

Wireless speeds are different from internet speed.
    Your wireless is Wireless g which is 54meg/108meg speed depending on the router you get. This doens't affect your internet speed of 3meg and regardless if you increase your internet speed to 7meg you still only have 54meg speed wireless.
    Vica versa increasing your router speed (as in chagning the hardware to Wireless N which is 300meg) has no impact on your internet speed.
    Your 3meg still stays at 3meg.

On your homepage once you upgrade you will get approx 7000/384..as far as I know upload speed does not change.

thanks for the reply but im still confused...so in order to get the most out of this 7mb package i will have to buy one of those routers that say wireless N on it?ive seen them in pc world so i know what they are...ur saying i cant get my full speed with my current wireless G router and will need to buy a wireless N rotuer yes?

• Advertisement

can anybody answer my question above this?cos im gona go buy a wireless N router/modem tomorrow if i need it

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭GreyAlien

54 meg is the speed of your internal network connection and not to the internet, meaning the speed your laptop or desktop gets as far as your eircom wireless router.

The 3meg and 7meg you get from eircom are the speeds your router will connect to the internet, your external network. As long as your internal network speed is faster then whatever eircom provide you, in your case it'll soon be 7meg, you should have no problems.

There is no need to get a new router, unless you suddenly can avail of a superfast internet connection of greater then 30megs or something. ;)

GreyAlien wrote: »
    54 meg is the speed of your internal network connection and not to the internet, meaning the speed your laptop or desktop gets as far as your eircom wireless router.

The 3meg and 7meg you get from eircom are the speeds your router will connect to the internet, your external network. As long as your internal network speed is faster then whatever eircom provide you, in your case it'll soon be 7meg, you should have no problems.

There is no need to get a new router, unless you suddenly can avail of a superfast internet connection of greater then 30megs or something. ;)

ahhh i get it, it took me like 3 reads but i get it now lol i feel so smart:rolleyes:

so ive upgraded from the eircom website so dont have to do anything more ill just wake up some day in the next few days and my song/movie downloads will be much faster? and my ps3 online games will be less laggy and stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭GreyAlien

marko91 wrote: »

so ive upgraded from the eircom website so dont have to do anything more ill just wake up some day in the next few days and my song/movie downloads will be much faster? and my ps3 online games will be less laggy and stuff?

Your download speeds will be faster, yes. But apparently Eircom increase the interleaving on the 7mb connection, meaning your ping times (response time) will be worse. This can have an effect with online gaming. There are other threads here that discuss it if you want to learn more.

GreyAlien wrote: »
    Your download speeds will be faster, yes. But apparently Eircom increase the interleaving on the 7mb connection, meaning your ping times (response time) will be worse. This can have an effect with online gaming. There are other threads here that discuss it if you want to learn more.

could u give me a link to these threads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

this LINK is a good place to start. ;)

gotten the upgrate...my speed is 3.78mb thats just about 1mb faster than on my 3mb package thats ****in bull****!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you'll need to post the line stats from your modem and someone will be able to tell you if that's the problem.

vibe666 wrote: »
    you'll need to post the line stats from your modem and someone will be able to tell you if that's the problem.

how do i find the line stats from my modem?i will post them:)

Advertisement