Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to calculate cost of driving?

• 02-05-2009 9:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hi there

I was wondering if anyone knows how to calculate how much petrol it will cost me to travel up north. The trip is 417km each way. I'm travelling from cork. The cost of petrol at the mo is €1.09 here and i have a peugeot 206 car 1.1. Don't know how much it takes to fill the tank.

any help appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NedNew

OK this is just my guess but here goes...

Puegeot 206, motorway driving most of the way... about 6ltr/100km

417km x 2 = 834 --> 6 ltr x 8.34 = 50 litres @ 1.09 = 54.50 euros...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

NedNew wrote: »

Add on tolls onto the trip; it could be up to €14 for this trip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Tolls hmm,

M8 Fermoy bypass €1.90
    M50 €3 since your from cork and hardly have a account.
    M1 €1.90

so thats €6.80 in tolls added onto the €54.50 and you have a grand total of
    €61.30

But considering traffic etc you could round that up maybe to €65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

1huge1 wrote: »
    Tolls hmm,

M8 Fermoy bypass €1.90
    M50 €3 since your from cork and hardly have a account.
    M1 €1.90

so thats €6.80 in tolls added onto the €54.50 and you have a grand total of
    €61.30

But considering traffic etc you could round that up maybe to €65

Two variables to allow for that a small car loaded up with passengers and drink and motorway cruising adds to the fuel spend; anything over 8 crates of beer or ten boxes of wine is as heavy as another passenger so maybe allow even another €10 for same. The return trip now needs to be added on; motor fuel is dearer in the UK than Ireland unless you stop off around Dundalk to fill up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

jillyb wrote: »
    Hi there

I was wondering if anyone knows how to calculate how much petrol it will cost me to travel up north. The trip is 417km each way. I'm travelling from cork. The cost of petrol at the mo is €1.09 here and i have a peugeot 206 car 1.1. Don't know how much it takes to fill the tank.

any help appreciated!

Maybe take the "raw" fuel estimate and double it , will cover stuff along the way and some of wear n tear .

NedNew wrote: »

100euro sort of thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭jillyb

hey thanks for the replies guys.
    Ya there will be two other people in the car with me so that'll prob add to it alright. but least we'll split petrol!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if you include all costs then it's double the price of the petrol
    many of the costs are fixed like insurance, tax

compare the petrol costs to the variable costs like services and the amount you've spent on parts and tyres too, get them to buy you lunch or a pint afterwards :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

i dont know if its still there but is there a boat to wales from cork? id say that would cost less than 100 euro and less than 7 hours driving each way!!

Advertisement