Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal v Man Utd 2nd leg (first leg 1-0 utd)

• 02-05-2009 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭

arsenalhome.png602.pngvs.png680.pngmanutdthird.png
    starting this early

Im very very excited about this match,could be a classic

arsenal have to come out an attack and utd will also attack
    so basically could be an open game

utd will probly be at full strength with Rio returning

VDS
    --O'Shea----Rio----Vidic----Evra--
    Fletcher----Carrick
    --Ronaldo----Anderson---Rooney--
    Tevez

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Ah you found those .png files at redcafe too :)

I'd agree a 100% with that formation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Ah you found those .png files at redcafe too :)

I'd agree a 100% with that formation.

yap I robbed them

right cool .png files thou

ando to score btw :pac:

2-1 utd

They damn well are.

Nah knowing United and their need to make it interesting on us poor fans the gooners to net two before a messy corner in the 91st minute pinball's around the box before JOS toe pokes it in off the inside of the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Agree with the formation too - the energy of Anderson and Fletcher will be vital to keep hold on midfield.

Agree with the formation too - the energy of Anderson and Fletcher will be vital to keep hold on midfield.

I was delighted with those 2 in the 1st leg,thought they ran the show

happy mitch jezzz everyones a critic ;)

• Advertisement

John Giles wrote: »
    I was delighted with those 2 in the 1st leg,taught they ran the show

i thought (:P) so too.

Hopefully Carrick will up his performance considerably, can't afford for him to be wasting possession like the last time. Hopefully Ronaldo will manage to hit the back of the net this time round.

I'm thinking a nervous 1-1 draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Elonex

United will not attack, they'll defend resolutely and nick one on the break.

Can see it ending 2-1 Arsenal. Will be a fascinating game to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I was going to post to say I think Anderson will probably start, but now I see you have him in that team. So, then, carry on :p

I don't think United will come out and attack. They'll try to control the game, focus on defending, try and knick a goal and (if they do) defend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Score draw please

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

0-0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

I honestly think United will play a bit more of a defensive game, but hitting Arsenal with counter attack after counterattack. I reckon Berbatov will start this game and I think it will finish 2-2. Berb and Ronnie to score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

If thats the line up SAF pulls, this match is bound to be more interesting!
    I beleive Gallas will be playing on Tues, that dude can create chances when on form.
    Match will be a tough one, we are ahead so we have an advantage :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I expect the same formation to be honest. There isn't a single player bar Ronaldo who won't run themselves into the ground to get the ball back off Arsenal, which is what you need. That's how you beat Arsenal imo, fight incredibly hard when you don't have the ball. You'll always get chancse against teams like them. We need a goal though imo, an early goal will kill this match as Arsenal would have to open up and really attack and I'd expect us to be able to get one on the counter in that case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

MIN2511 wrote: »
    I beleive Gallas will be playing on Tues, that dude can create chances when on form.

??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

MIN2511 wrote: »

Isn't Gallas injured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Arsenal's failure to get an away goal will mean that they will be forced to play the game in a manner that will suit United down to the ground. I'd say we might see the complete opposite this leg, Arsenal dominating but United getting a few quick counters that will punish the gunners.

Really really hope Wenger doesn't do the stupid thing of playing Cesc in the advanced midfield role again. If that happens Arsenal wont win, but if plays deeper his passes could do some serious damage to united in the gaps between the CBs and the FBs.

not confident though, i'm sorry to say. I think score draw is the most likely outcome. :(

this is what i want to see:

Song
    Cesc
    Walcott
    Diaby
    Nasri
    Adebayor

play Diaby up high instead of Cesc where his strength might mean someone will actually win a few of Ade's knockdowns. Play Nasri on the left so he can play higher up the pitch and get in a few scoring positions. The rest pick themselves really.

Almunia

Sagna
    Toure
    Djourou
    Clichy(?)

Walcott
    Song
    Fab
    Nasri

Bendtner
    Ade

I really think that's the best formation we can go out with.
    The 4-5-1 with Diaby would have been handy in the first leg, but I think we really need to go 4-4-2 if we want something from this game

Frisbee wrote: »

Almunia

Sagna
    Toure
    Djourou
    Clichy(?)

Walcott
    Song
    Fab
    Nasri

Bendtner
    Ade

I really think that's the best formation we can go out with.
    The 4-5-1 with Diaby would have been handy in the first leg, but I think we really need to go 4-4-2 if we want something from this game

if RVP or Eduardo could be relied upon then i'd agree, but Bendtner just gives the ball away too often imo to risk playing him in a game like this.

will Djourou be back?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I think it could be a win for the Arses, but we'll go through on an away goal, Rooney to get a yellow.

Such an optimist I am:D

if RVP or Eduardo could be relied upon then i'd agree, but Bendtner just gives the ball away too often imo to risk playing him in a game like this.

will Djourou be back?

I think this kind of game would suit Bendtner. In the last game Vidic and Rio could double team Ade when necessary and he was completely cut off. However if they have to deal with both Ade and Bendtner I can see us getting a lot more ball up top. And if Nasri and Theo can support quickly we'd have a better chance.

As for Djourou I can't see why not unless he picked up an injury yesterday?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Apparently Robin may be fit for this one.

Still think we're boned though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Notorious wrote: »
    Isn't Gallas injured?
    Apologies, he's out for the season... Can't remember where i got that from(i am female-sowwy:))

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

i think arsenal have to go with 2 up top. I also thought i heard Temendous Van Persie is back for this one?

I expect the united team to be the same as last weeks one.

Frisbee wrote: »
    I think this kind of game would suit Bendtner. In the last game Vidic and Rio could double team Ade when necessary and he was completely cut off. However if they have to deal with both Ade and Bendtner I can see us getting a lot more ball up top. And if Nasri and Theo can support quickly we'd have a better chance.

As for Djourou I can't see why not unless he picked up an injury yesterday?

ah right. didn't see yesterdays' game, didn't know he played.

I can see you're point about 4-4-2 but if anything i'd have though Vidic and Rio would struggle more with runners from deep. I still think the main thing to focus on would be the gap between the CBs and FBs, that's where i feel we can get at them the most. Even if it failed to create a real opening from it, the constant need to sweep would force Rio and Vidic a lot deeper methinks and has the potential to force mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

We can still try and target those areas with two up top though. In fact, it occupies the two CBs more, which give us a better chance of trying to get some joy through Nasri and Theo. I'd like 2 up top, Bendtner if Van Persie doesn't make it. The two semi-final matches so far have shown how isolated Ade is against top teams without a genuine partner up front and we can't afford that again.
    MIN2511 wrote:
    Apologies, he's out for the season...
    Even if he wasn't, creating chances ain't exactly his forte ;)

Based on the team from the weekend - i reckon this will be the team we put out:

................van der Sar

O'Shea...Ferdinand....Vidic.....Evra

.......Fletcher..Carrick..Anderson

Ronaldo..........................Park
    .................Tevez.

This is based on Ando, Fletcher, Carrick and Ronaldo being rested, Rooney playing the 90 minutes and Park being taken off early.

Wouldn't be my first choice lineup as i don't think there is enough of an attacking threat, but i reckon that is what Fergie is going to go with.

Mitch, Rooney will be playing

he's been vital for us for a couple of weeks now,our best player atm

I know he's on a yellow but he's able to control himself (most of the time)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Almunia

Toure
    Fab
    Nasri
    Walcott
    Rosicky---Vela---Bendtner---Eduardo
    Van Persie----Adebayor

9-1 to Arsenal.....Own goal by Rosicky out of rustiness........

Rooney sent off in first minute reaction to Fab spitting at him.....

Vela grabs 7 goals. A penalty by Van Persie who insists on taking it because he is jealous of Vela........Almunia wraps it up scoring from a free kick inside his own half........

Wake me up at full time lads......

Headshot wrote: »
    Mitch, Rooney will be playing

he's been vital for us for a couple of weeks now,our best player atm

I know he's on a yellow but he's able to control himself (most of the time)

We'll see. I hope he does, but i don't think he will. I believe the players mentioned, in particular Park and Ronaldo, were rested with Arsenal in mind. Park having been given a couple of weeks rest following the trip back from the international games, and this was specifically mentioned by Ferguson. If Park and Ronaldo play, the last spot is between Rooney, Berbatov and Tevez.

Rooney and Berbatov playing the full 90 indicates to me that Tevez has a very good chance of starting.

Again, I hope you are right, but I can certainly see you being wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Are there any Arsenal players a booking away from missing the final, should they happen to get there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Are there any Arsenal players a booking away from missing the final, should they happen to get there?

Most likely not. Arsenal are a lovely bunch. Did ya not see Arshavin trying to oppose a penalty against Pompey?

If anyone is it's probably Diaby or Nasri. They won't care though. They are both fcuking mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

We'll see. I hope he does, but i don't think he will. I believe the players mentioned, in particular Park and Ronaldo, were rested with Arsenal in mind. Park having been given a couple of weeks rest following the trip back from the international games, and this was specifically mentioned by Ferguson. If Park and Ronaldo play, the last spot is between Rooney, Berbatov and Tevez.

Rooney and Berbatov playing the full 90 indicates to me that Tevez has a very good chance of starting.

Again, I hope you are right, but I can certainly see you being wrong.

Rooney didn't play much against Inter, so wouldn't be shocked.

Although he has been by far out best player recently, but if he missed the final if we get there :eek:

Nasri and I think Diaby are both one yellow away

Robin and silvestre trained today

Robin and silvestre trained today

:D and :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Wenger making the right noises about going back to 442, as long as RvP can make it.
    Arsène Wenger will await the result of fitness tests before deciding on his formation for the Champions League Semi-Final second leg against Manchester United on Tuesday.

The Arsenal manager employed a 4-2-3-1 at Old Trafford last week. It did not work, the visitors barely got their game going offensively. They have to score twice at Emirates Stadium so, with Eduardo (groin) ruled out, Wenger could do with Robin van Persie recovering from his own groin problem. However it will be a late call. The Arsenal manager suggested he would be happy to wait until the morning of the match and a positive outcome may mean a switch to 4-4-2.

“Why not?” Wenger said. “But it will depend also on who is available.”

The traditional formation worked wonders at Fratton Park at the weekend. A brace from Nicklas Bendtner put them in control before half-time. Another from Carlos Vela just before the hour killed off any chance of a comeback.

"We started in a 4-4-2,” said Wenger. “I think it looked more threatening and we looked more comfortable. But when you play Walcott on the right you play more 4-3-1-2 anyway. He is a winger not a midfielder so you have to balance the side to be a bit more defensive.

"Also, if Fabregas plays behind the striker, the striker looks to be a little isolated so you have to get the balance of the team right.

"No matter who starts, what is important is that everybody is focused so they can come on and help the team to qualify.

"That's what we have to produce on Tuesday night - the game worthy of a Semi-Final. We have to make it hard for them.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Will be shocked if United don't go through. Arsenal not getting the away goal will suit Utd down to the ground and besides United are simply just the better side. 1-3 on the night to United i'd say.

Rooney offers so much getting forward and as cover that the only reason to leave him out is that pesky yellow card. However this tie is far from over and I hope he starts if for no other reason than having to listen about Fergies "arrogance" backfiring on him if we get knocked out will do my head in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Anderson to score, it's faith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Frisbee wrote:
    Nasri and I think Diaby are both one yellow away
    Song too...

EDIT: I'll be feckin' delirious if this becomes a problem for us though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Van Persie and Silvestre both make the squad

Rio will be fit but evra is a doubt

so we could see somthing like this

VDS
    raf----Rio
    Vidic
    oshea
    Fletcher----Carrick
    Tevez

I would like fabio in there instead but he got injured during the reserves match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

creggy wrote: »
    Anderson to score, it's faith.

Faith or fate?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Tom65 wrote: »
    Faith or fate?

He has faith in him to score ;)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Was there not some rule change to prevent the best players missing the finals of the big competitions or was that only for international games? could've sworn I heard something about it, it's a ridiculous law anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Rio will be fit but evra is a doubt

so we could see somthing like this

VDS
    raf----Rio
    Vidic
    oshea
    Fletcher----Carrick
    Tevez

I would like fabio in there instead but he got injured during the reserves match

I think SAF said Evra is ok - twas just a precaution so I imagine the line up will be the same as the first leg? Surely as Rooney will be aware of the yellow card situation he will try and keep his cool - I mean at the end of the day I imagine the person who would be most gutted if he missed the final through suspension would be himself, so he'll be making sure he definitely doesn't get booked imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

1-1 is my guess, RVP with a peno first half, Tevez with a late away goal to clinch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Come on Arsenal!!!!!!

3-1!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Rooney to pick up a yellow and miss the final.

Kiss Goodbye big ears :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

O'Shea will definitely start on the right, regardless of whether Evra is fit. He touched on it during his post match interview; he had much more time on the ball when on the right last week since most of the Arsenal players were doubling up on Ronaldo, so United tried to exploit that as much as possible and it worked to great effect. Don't be surprised to see the same thing happen tomorrow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement