Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal v Man Utd 2nd leg (first leg 1-0 utd)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

RTE said in commentary that Pat Kelly (A UEFA referees panel member) has confirmed that no appeal will be entertained. A true shocker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

It is a disgrace that you take such joy in Fletcher final place being robbed from him in such fashion, a disgrace, though i don't know that i'd expect better.

And I do not know if I expected many of you to have memories as long as two weeks ago when the comeback was started by a penalty which came from a situation more or less exactly the same as that one. As far as I could gather from my post the smiley I posted was for the situation rather than the fact that the last man committed a foul in a clear goalscoring position and got sent off. I like Fletcher so am slightly disappointed for him TBH. Just seemed like something we might have seen in My Name is Earl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

mayordenis wrote: »
    Jesus 1 decision against united, in a game that's already over and "all the haters" have been proved wrong? negasaurus.

You must have missed most of the match so :confused:

Disgraceful that UEFA say it can't be appealed. All that equates to is "the ref does not make mistakes"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Looks like a pre-season friendly in the stands.

Emirates is a ghost town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

redout wrote: »
    In fairness I dont think Fletcher was going to be in the starting 11 come the final anyway.

At least we can be greatful for that.

huh? i think he was a definite starter. he's needed against chelsea or (and especially barca) where we need the legs and energy him and ando bring us in midfield. we would play the same team as tonight or tevez for park imo in the final. will change now of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

In fairness I dont think Fletcher was going to be in the starting 11 come the final anyway.

At least we can be greatful for that.

why, because he has been such an infrequent starter for United this season? Given we'd be facing either Chelsea or Barcelona, he was almost guaranteed to start imo, alongside Carrick and Anderson, just like tonight and last time against Arsenal, and against Porto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Its shameful the way the Arsenal fans walked out on the match-absolutely disgraceful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

That must be Ronaldo's first wayward shot of the night.

It is a disgrace that you take such joy in Fletcher final place being robbed from him in such fashion, a disgrace, though i don't know that i'd expect better.

And I do not know if I expected many of you to have memories as long as two weeks ago when the comeback was started by a penalty which came from a situation more or less exactly the same as that one. As far as I could gather from my post the smiley I posted was for the situation rather than the fact that the last man committed a foul in a clear goalscoring position and got sent off. I like Fletcher so am slightly disappointed for him TBH. Just seemed like something we might have seen in My Name is Earl. If you see that as disgraceful then I suggest that you are the one with issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Highsider wrote: »
    True. What goes around

Except gomez didn't get sent off.
    amacachi wrote: »
    ITV commentators say the only appeals allowed are for mistaken identities.

Surely they can appeal on the case of him being mistaken for someone who didn't get the ball! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

This ref is absolutely shocking, no flow to the game whatsover... I've counted 13 free kicks in the last five minutes or so... joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

And I do not know if I expected many of you to have memories as long as two weeks ago when the comeback was started by a penalty which came from a situation more or less exactly the same as that one. As far as I could gather from my post the smiley I posted was for the situation rather than the fact that the last man committed a foul in a clear goalscoring position and got sent off. I like Fletcher so am slightly disappointed for him TBH. Just seemed like something we might have seen in My Name is Earl.
    This is about Arsenal Vs Manchester United, great to see a mod drawing a thread off topic :rolleyes:

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Its shameful the way the Arsenal fans walked out on the match-absolutely disgraceful!

Would you stick around to watch players on big wages walking around a pitch not giving a toss that a win would mean getting to the Champions League final?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

I have being saying it for a while now but this is the worst arsenal team in well over ten years now. To many players who belive their own hype and to many who just won't fcuking bother the hole playing as soon as things get a little hard. I'm not annoyed about going out tonight but I am annoyed at the way we are going out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Mad_Max wrote: »
    Except gomez didn't get sent off.

:

No, the ref did Utd a double favour and left him on.

Have i said anything about the penalty? No - i have simply said Fletcher doesn't deserve to miss the final because of that (i do believe Gomes was YELLOW CARDED) and that i find it disgraceful that you take such delight in Fletcher missing the final in such fashion. You post, to me, implied you were happy with the situation, which INCLUDES fletcher missing the final because of a poor decision.

You must have missed most of the match so :confused:

Disgraceful that UEFA say it can't be appealed. All that equates to is "the ref does not make mistakes"

What they have said is that the only thing that will be considered is mistaken identity for an appeal so they will consider an appeal but only if the ref got the wrong guy, not if the ref made the incorrect decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

roryc wrote: »
    This ref is absolutely shocking, no flow to the game whatsover... I've counted 13 free kicks in the last five minutes or so... joke

Are you saying Ronaldo is dropping like a stone everytime the ball comes near him?:P

Stekelly wrote: »
    No, the ref did Utd a double favour and left him on.

haha well played... well played

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

BBC saying the ref can look over his decission..

And I do not know if I expected many of you to have memories as long as two weeks ago when the comeback was started by a penalty which came from a situation more or less exactly the same as that one. As far as I could gather from my post the smiley I posted was for the situation rather than the fact that the last man committed a foul in a clear goalscoring position and got sent off. I like Fletcher so am slightly disappointed for him TBH. Just seemed like something we might have seen in My Name is Earl. If you see that as disgraceful then I suggest that you are the one with issues.

Looked like a petty post imo.

What amazes me is that theres is no appeals process. Surely in every league in europe there is such a process yet the governing body's competition has not such route to take.

Really put a dampener for me on what has been another great performance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

The red card is a small crumb of comfort to non Utd fans. We are off to Rome (not me literally as i can't afford it :p). Come on the league and CL double :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Is it another reason a video ref should be in soccer like rugby then? Or did fletcher have a high foot, wrap his leg around the player and pull the player back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

why, because he has been such an infrequent starter for United this season? Given we'd be facing either Chelsea or Barcelona, he was almost guaranteed to start imo, alongside Carrick and Anderson, just like tonight and last time against Arsenal, and against Porto.

Ando and Carrick were going to be in the centre midfield in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭niallk

I would argue that the referee mistook the identity of the player who touched the ball and appeal on that basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

OFF TO ROME UNITED WE GO

COME ON UNITED !!!!!

VIVA RONNIE AND PARKY GET THE FUP IN!!!

IMO it would have been the 3, with Ronaldo, Rooney and possibly Tevez. We would not have gone 442 - still won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

The better team (by a freakin' mile) won this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Great performance, cant wait for the final. We'll beat whoever makes it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Poxy backstards, one more goal and I was €150 up...:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

well played united, outclassed the opposition.

Training match for United. Easiest 90 minutes they've ever played I think.

Arsenal have been given a huge kick up the backside. Just shows how thin Arsenal's squad is.

in the big games we've been playing 2 in midfield. why would that change to 4-4-2?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

2 CL finals in a row massivly impressive whatever way you slice it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Great result, great performance by United delighted. Ref was poor and I feel sorry for Fletch. I would have had him in my starting 11 for the next game. Bring on the final and hopefully me winning the lotto the next week so I can go watch it....

There is no doubt the player touched the ball but he did commit a foul in the box and so the pen was a good decision and as he was the last man he was off. As I have already said I am disappointed for Fletcher as he seems like a decent sort but the decision could have been given either.

How long would it have taken to get a video ref to look over tht though and over that time would the taker get nervous for the pen. Looking at that again and again now there is no doubt that the player was took and that the ball was not knocked that far away that he could not have retrieved it. One of the things that a lot of people look for is the reaction of the players and not too many Man U players were going spare, although maybe that was as much to do with the game being over as anything else.

Fine result for Man U and deserved finalists. They will have to put on a show of at least that level to beat Barca I would say, or just turn up if it is Chelsea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Well played United.

There is no doubt the player touched the ball but he did commit a foul in the box and so the pen was a good decision and as he was the last man he was off. As I have already said I am disappointed for Fletcher as he seems like a decent sort but the decision could have been given either.

How long would it have taken to get a video ref to look over tht though and over that time would the taker get nervous for the pen. Looking at that again and again now there is no doubt that the player was took and that the ball was not knocked that far away that he could not have retrieved it. One of the things that a lot of people look for is the reaction of the players and not too many Man U players were going spare, although maybe that was as much to do with the game being over as anything else.

so, I assume you had the same opinion of the penalty at Spurs then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Random wrote: »
    Is it another reason a video ref should be in soccer like rugby then? Or did fletcher have a high foot, wrap his leg around the player and pull the player back?

Don't listen to that bullshit, it was never a penalty, it was a fantastic last-ditch tackle. Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever in a MILLION YEARS A RED CARD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Fine result for Man U and deserved finalists. They will have to put on a show of at least that level to beat Barca I would say, or just turn up if it is Chelsea :)

Like Carrick against spurs?

• Advertisement

There is no doubt the player touched the ball but he did commit a foul in the box and so the pen was a good decision and as he was the last man he was off. .

I would argue that gomez touched the ball but committed a foul and was last man so therefore should have been sent off but pretty much everyone agreed that by touching the ball first it negates the foul.

I didn't see the thread for that game but i'll take a guess and say you thought it wasn't a pen... a guess mind :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

There is no doubt the player touched the ball but he did commit a foul in the box and so the pen was a good decision and as he was the last man he was off. .

Get off the stage would you! I can't believe you really believe that. It was an exceptionally good, clean tackle! There is allowed to be a bit of physical contact you know. It ain't basketball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Great performance. Great goals (well, Ronaldo's). Just a pity about Fletcher. He was one of our best players tonight. Still, I wonder if he would've started the final (surely Scholes would've been there, with Carrick and then either him or Anderson).

Still. Wednesday, May 27th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Poxy backstards, one more goal and I was €150 up...:(

I know i wanted 2-1

bastards :pac:

so, I assume you had the same opinion of the penalty at Spurs then...

Go back and have a look, I can hardly remember how I felt yesterday, let alone how I felt about that decision. I do remember talking about it in the pub and I felt that it was a pen at the time, regardless of the player getting the ball as he still committed a foul and a foul in the box is a pen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well as a neutral, I'd say firstly that its horrible to see a player lose out on a Champion's League final spot like that.

To those that are saying he wouldn't be playing, where are you getting that from? the guy has been brilliant for United this season and without doubt their best midfielder in a season where Hargreaves and Carrick have been injured(both) and out of form(Carrick of late). He is a huge loss for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

For everyone's benefit, and I mean everyone, the decision for Carrick vs Gomes is for another thread (which is still open IIRC)

Tonight's decision is a separate matter.

Lets stick to tonight's events please.

Is John Giles mental? €200 million in the summer?? Not even United will get that sort of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

For sale. 57,000 plastic flags. Only waved for 7 minutes.:cool:

• Advertisement

Nunu wrote: »
    Get off the stage would you! I can't believe you really believe that. It was an exceptionally good, clean tackle! There is allowed to be a bit of physical contact you know. It ain't basketball.

He wrapped his legs around him, in what game is that okay?

Advertisement