Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal v Man Utd 2nd leg (first leg 1-0 utd)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

And Kuyt was definitely not bought to sell jerseys, hardly a looker now is he :)

Horses for courses. That tranny seemed to like him last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

And Kuyt was definitely not bought to sell jerseys, hardly a looker now is he :)

:rolleyes:

park is a quality player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Stekelly wrote: »
    Maybe he meant literally. In fairness we dont have any Korean players.:)

Maybe he meant people with premiership medals.

Think park has a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

ntlbell wrote: »

Think park has a few.

:D

ntlbell wrote: »

Think park has a few.

and if he contributed as much to Utd as Kuyt does to Liverpool he'd deserve them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Lehmann on ITV harping on about the "Kidz" too. Grabted they are young but Man U have shown that you can win things with kids, much to Alan Hansen's chagrin.

Avoided the question there though Mr Anderson, could you please point out where what you said is reflected in the laws of the game or retract your suggsetion that I am baiting just because I have a knowledge of the laws of the game that you seem to lack.

Point out where it says if you step off the pitch from an otherwise offside position then you aren't offside.

Again, the ref knows more of the rules than I do. Still made mistakes. Other than saying how great you are I fail to see the point in that statement.

and if he contributed as much to Utd as Kuyt does to Liverpool he'd deserve them too.

I see its turning into man utd v liverpool again

fair play liverpool fans

nicely done :rolleyes:

bloody sour grapes are a curse

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

At the end of the day the Fletcher challenge is very similar to Gomes' on Carrick
    Ball is blatently touched and player follows through on the man
    There seemed to be a pretty unanimous verdict then so I dont see how people can really argue over it.

Also without getting into gritty details, common sense tells you its fair challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

I know they didn't perform over the 2 legs but does anybody else think that the whole "Arsenal aren't up to it at this level" thing is a bit boll0x? OK United are clearly the better team but did Arsenal not do enough to get to this stage already? Why all of a sudden are they not up to it?
    I don't remember anybody saying before the first leg that they were miles off United in terms of ability which seems to be the general concensus(sp?) now. A lot of people actually fancied Arsenal to go through at that stage, and was it really so inconcieveable that they might have won this leg 2-0/3-1 and went through? They already beat United there earlier in the season didn't they? Thats before you even consider the fact that they can't play Arshavin in this comp and they were missing RVP in the first leg and tbh he may not have been fully fit tonight either.
    Arsenal are a good side, clearly one of the best in Europe, they just happened to come up against the best in Europe and were outplayed.

Also, well done United, ruthless on the night.

Edit: This is more aimed at the goons on Rte

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »

fair play liverpool fans

not all pool fans

fair play liverpool fans

Ah yeah, always the poor put upon Utd fans being victimised. Grow up.

It was NTL bell that was stirring as usual. But just like anything Utd do wrong is the ref's or someone elses fault that gets ignored.

Or is it Eamon Dunphy's fault for his comment we were talkign about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

United and Chelsea final? The rematch. Script is written.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Its shameful the way the Arsenal fans walked out on the match-absolutely disgraceful!

actually saw the man united fans do the same when lpool beat em 4-1 sure.plenty of teams have plastic supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It won't accomplish anything other than to piss Uefa off but could people email Uefa complaining about the red card.I dont think it was a penalty, I didnt think the Tottenham was either fwiw.But it shouldn't have been a red card, I think some common sense needs to be applied by the referee in that situation, and realise what a red card would mean.

So just email Uefa, complain for a few lines.It might piss them off enough to rescind it if enough people do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

FFS. Everytime it goes down the same ****ing route. All it needs is a congrats UTD or not bother posting. My team has just made the Champs League final for the 2nd consecutive year - I would prefer not to hear about Dirk ****ing Kuyt

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »

Barce might not agree. Although going on last week Chelsea dont have much to fear. Lots of pissing about with the ball but ultimately getting no where.Mind you, Barce could think the same about Chealsea (although without the havign the ball bit :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Dcully wrote: »
    As a Pool fan, hats off to Manc, awesome display over the 2 legs.

Fair play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

fair play liverpool fans

Your posts are always so biased it's beginning to get on my nerves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

That_Guy wrote: »

I think it will be Barcelona in the final.

Thought Fletcher was unlucky. Didnt think it was a peno(as I didnt think the one involving Gomez was) but you can see how the ref gave it. Once he gave it he had no option but to show him red.

Anyway great performance by United. Ronaldo, Park, Fletcher and Vidic stood out for me. Oh and Evra looked more his old self tonight which is very encouraging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    FFS. Everytime it goes down the same ****ing route. All it needs is a congrats UTD or not bother posting. My team has just made the Champs League final for the 2nd consecutive year - I would prefer not to hear about Dirk ****ing Kuyt

Pfft...where's the fun in that?

• Advertisement

titan18 wrote: »
    It won't accomplish anything other than to piss Uefa off but could people email Uefa complaining about the red card.I dont think it was a penalty, I didnt think the Tottenham was either fwiw.But it shouldn't have been a red card, I think some common sense needs to be applied by the referee in that situation, and realise what a red card would mean.

So just email Uefa, complain for a few lines.It might piss them off enough to rescind it if enough people do it.

Changing rules 9/10ths of the way through a competition woudltn be be common sense either though.

p_larkin99 wrote: »

or the other one that park was only bought to sell jerseys :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

If there's any more mention of other users stiring, or trolling, or baiting, or dragging this thread off-topic, there'll be murders.

I feel so sorry for Fletch. He was outstanding tonight. He always plays out of his skin in the big games in the last year or two. I was his biggest critic before, but, missing the champions league final when he did touch the ball, is very harsh.

At least Rooney & Pat stayed out of trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Felt it would be a man u chelsea final again after those two first legs... esp now that u look at the barce defence

for the guy talking about arsenal at this level or whatever.. I think they were missing Gallas & Clichy, it shows that their squad is understrength.. I know alot of Arsenal fans we're delighted that Wenger went out and bought Arshavin (he looks a great player) but I think they defo need to go and spend on their defence and a defensive midfielder, i think thats what they've needed for the past 3/4 years... Flamini did the job last year but I dont think that Wenger thought that he would have done, otherwise hed of given him a longer contract...

delighted for united, only prob is ive an exam the day after the final...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Souness vs Dunphy....ITS ON!!!
    Aidric wrote: »
    Haha, the analysis is gone in to overdrive. Dunphy says to Souness ' You don't know what you're talking about'. Cut to break, lol.

I was falling asleep on and off since I last posted in this thread, and was unsure if Dunphy actually said that or I had dreamed it. Awesome! :eek:
    syngindub wrote: »
    This is great stuff in the RTE studio..Dunphy, when asked who he has managed by Souness.."I managed to stay alive for 63 years BABY"

Remember when Arsenal got knocked out last year and they got into a big Wenger debate with Brady on the panel (an employee of Arsenal F.C. at the time). And when Brady intimated that he was walking after more than enough of the conversation, Dunphy retorted "You've hopped the fence BABY".

Love that man! :D
    Tom65 wrote: »
    Ahhhhh, I'm missing RTÉ. There's a lady pundit on Swedish TV :eek: Surely she's talking about the players' hair!?

I would love to put her on a panel between Dunphy and Giles. (no jokes, please)

The Swedes are good at ladies international football, no? In any case, I'd assume even an Irish ladies international is many times better at football than every man who posts on this forum.

Being honest, the analysis wouldn't be as much fun if Katie Taylor replaced Dunphy on the panel. But it might be more insightful...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭mada999

Nunu wrote: »
    There is allowed to be a bit of physical contact you know. It ain't basketball.

lol...someone should tell Ronaldo that :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

or the other one that park was only bought to sell jerseys :rolleyes:

ha, that old chestnut, except where park = dong.... :D

I just find it amazing how we were in such control over a tie that was expected to be so so tense. For us to run away with it and be as comfortable as we were shows how polished we are looking in the season's run in.

Now lets try and get the league wrapped up ASAP (not being arrogant) so we can hopefully rest some players before the final.

Full steam ahead Rome!

Changing rules 9/10ths of the way through a competition woudltn be be common sense either though.

If you're on about it being a red card, he won the ball and caught the player after.There was no malicious intent in the tackle, it wasn't reckless or endangering Fabregas, so shouldn't have been a red imo.He came in from the side, more than the back,he didn't go through the player.As anyone can see, Fletcher wins the ball.

If you're on about the no appeal ****.That is a retarded rule that shouldn't exist in the first place, and hopefully there is someone with some sense who can overturn the decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I thought park was great today fantastic work rate there's a player i'd like to see come down and play at the lane.
    On the peno i'm not convinced either way I think the question is whether fletcher got enough on the ball so that fabergas wouldn't of been able to play it anyway I couldn't really tell
    But the second he gave the penalty the ref was in whole hog and had to give the red as he was last defender back.

• Advertisement

If you're on about it being a red card, he won the ball and caught the player after.There was no malicious intent in the tackle, it wasn't reckless or endangering Fabregas, so shouldn't have been a red imo.He came in from the side, more than the back,he didn't go through the player.As anyone can see, Fletcher wins the ball.

If you're on about the no appeal ****.That is a retarded rule that shouldn't exist in the first place, and hopefully there is someone with some sense who can overturn the decision.

Platini? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,354 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Well done to United, I feel they were a bit lucky for the 1st 2 goals and killed it as a game after that. The sending off was shocking.

Yeah but obviously the ref thought he caught Fabregas first or didnt get the ball.

I have to say I still think its a good rule. I`m old enough to remember when a professional foul was the order of the day when someone was through on goal. The player was, 99 times out of a hundred, brought down.
    Its tough on Fletcher but the rules is the rules. The ref called it and he`ll miss the final.

hopefully there is someone with some sense who can overturn the decision.

Thats not going to happen. No appeal, means no appeal I'm afraid.

Poor Fletch. After such a great performance, he will miss one of the biggest games of his career because of a poor decision. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Before this thread gets completely derailed, I'd just like to say well done to United(still hope barca win it though:P)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Should Man U win he will still get a medal won't he? Not sure of the rules on it but he must have played in enough games to warrant one as he has been involved in almost all of the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

Match never lived up to billing. Arsenal were well below average and United played well but by no means great. Pity about Fletcher but we will go on without him and play for him. Now to tell the Missus I'm off to another European Cup final. Why do fans leave early I can never understand that.?

It doesnt matter whether the rule is retarded or not, it's there at the start of the season, you cant look to have it changed before the last game of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Should Man U win he will still get a medal won't he? Not sure of the rules on it but he must have played in enough games to warrant one as he has been involved in almost all of the games.

That's not the point at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

ya he'll get a medal, runners up or winners.

It was a great tackle. And a shame for him and the team he won't be in the final. Over the two legs he was man u's best player.

And yet some say he would not have played in the final? It is immaterial if he gets a medal, just ask Roy Keane

Liam O wrote: »
    That's not the point at all.
    I was not intending to make a point. I asked a question. The question mark should have given that away.

adox wrote: »
    Yeah but obviously the ref thought he caught Fabregas first or didnt get the ball.

I have to say I still think its a good rule. I`m old enough to remember when a professional foul was the order of the day when someone was through on goal. The player was, 99 times out of a hundred, brought down.
    Its tough on Fletcher but the rules is the rules. The ref called it and he`ll miss the final.

I'm not blaming the red for the decision to give the penalty.It was a 50-50 call, and you'll see them given and you won't.But I think a straight red wasn't justified considering the circumstances.The game was dead and a red means he misses the final.Even though it's in the rules, surely some sense can be applied and a yellow just given.No one would have complained about it, and no one would care.The red card leaves a sour note to the game, and it could have been done without

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

AFAIK he does. IIRC Keane got one in 1999 but he's always maintained he didn't deserve it or something along those lines as he didn't play in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

It doesnt matter whether the rule is retarded or not, it's there at the start of the season, you cant look to have it changed before the last game of the season.

meh, rules get changed. example liverpool getting into the CL as a 5th english team a few years back. a case of "bending" the rules.

• Advertisement

AFAIK he does. IIRC Keane got one in 1999 but he's always maintained he didn't deserve it as he didn't play in the final.

Ta, was just curious. BTW, incident here, he definitely got him.

http://www.offthepost.info/2009/05/video-darren-fletcher-red-card-and-robin-van-persie-penalty/
    jaykay74 wrote: »
    meh, rules get changed. example liverpool getting into the CL as a 5th english team a few years back. a case of "bending" the rules.

Careful there mate, not allowed to bring Liverpool into the conversation :) And that rule was not changed was it, they denied they had the rule despite it having been published on their website and then enforced the rule that they originally had in place. Confusing, I know.

jaykay74 wrote: »

Its absolutely nothing like that.

What it would be like is if UEFA decided to go back over the quarter final and pick out the Alex free kick, decide it was a dive by Drogba and chalk off the goal, then decide to replay the match. Thats changing the rules during the season.

and even if it was a rule change, it was done before the season starts (generally when rules are changed) not halfway through whne liverpool are say, at home watching the group stages then deciding to parchute them into one of the groups.

http://www.offthepost.info/2009/05/video-darren-fletcher-red-card-and-robin-van-persie-penalty/

Looks like he got a touch to the ball first and then the man with his follow through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I'm not blaming the red for the decision to give the penalty.It was a 50-50 call, and you'll see them given and you won't.But I think a straight red wasn't justified considering the circumstances.The game was dead and a red means he misses the final.Even though it's in the rules, surely some sense can be applied and a yellow just given.No one would have complained about it, and no one would care.The red card leaves a sour note to the game, and it could have been done without

Since when do rules change because of the score in a match??? The ref called it as he saw it and it was a stupid tackle to make whether he pulled it off or not! Not being able to appeal the red is the issue here and to be honest it doesn't make sense.

Are you Dave N?

• Advertisement
Advertisement