Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal v Man Utd 2nd leg (first leg 1-0 utd)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Nervous about this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Its gonna be a cracker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Leaving Tevez on the bench is a big mistake IMO, one goal for United and its effectively over, but the chances of that happening are reduced without Tevez.

Having Tevez would allow United to press Arsenal from the back, Park, while a hard worker, will apply pressure further down the field and doesn't offer the same goal threat.

The old adage goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and last week's first half display was excellent, so why change it ?

I hope I'm wrong about that and I also hope I'm wrong about this, but what are the odds that if Arsenal score and Fergie is forced to change things, that he will bring on Berbatov rather than Tevez first ? I accept that Berbatov has scored more this season, but the energy that Tevez brings is invaluable and could pay dividends against a suspect Arsenal defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Seems I'm not the only one getting nervous. Reminds me of the Champions League final last year. Normally I'm grand until 10 minutes before the match. That whole day I was bricking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

yermandan wrote: »
    Do you really think you will score more than 2?? Or are you just hoping??

I doubt you will score more than one to be honest, although with Tevez not playing, its a let of IMO

I said I think we can score two or more, not that we will - I mean that the team has plenty of attacking prowess and lots of players with an eye for goal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Liam Brady commentating for RTE, cant wait for his biased commentary! (cue Wenger/Basil Fawlity insert:D)

Edit: Ok in fairness he wasnt biased there pre-match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Brady on RTE reckons Arsenal are going to need 3 to go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

heyjude wrote: »
    Leaving Tevez on the bench is a big mistake IMO, one goal for United and its effectively over, but the chances of that happening are reduced without Tevez.

Having Tevez would allow United to press Arsenal from the back, Park, while a hard worker, will apply pressure further down the field and doesn't offer the same goal threat.

Park will press as much as Tevez and they have both proven to be equally ineffective in front of goal this season. I wouldn't count on either to score, to be honest

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Pleased with Arsenal's line up but I fear it is too late. Keeping United at bay for the entire 90 minutes is hard to see.

United's team is quite defensive though so I'm hopeful that with Fabregas in his proper position we can dominate the game, be patient and maybe nab a goal from a set piece as United will be difficult to break down.

However realistically our midfield is far too indisciplined to keep things tight and United will have plenty of chances on the break, and I'll be very surprised if they don't score at least one.

heyjude wrote: »

I reckon you're spot on here, he is so busy and the first half last week was all about him. At least he can be an impact sub. Our midfield has more than enough to break up the Gunners attack and if Ronaldo decides to play and Rooney adapts to being up front on his own then I think it will be a cruise. I just hope Fergie isnt afraid to shake it up if it goes tits up.

On a side note, I dont know who annoys me more, George Hamilton or Liam Brady. UTV here I come

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

that's as strong as Arsenal fans could have hoped for their team to look really.

if RVP is fully fit, and the true Adepbayor turns up, then there's a chance.

the only problem, as has been said, is that Utd are likely to score.

i'm gona go for 1-1, maybe a late 2-1 arsenal, but i'll plump for 1-1.

Walcott, then Rooney.

Wreck wrote: »
    I said I think we can score two or more, not that we will - I mean that the team has plenty of attacking prowess and lots of players with an eye for goal.

Fair enough, but whats yer gut feeling??? I agree with you but I reckon the key will be getting the ball to them through our midfield!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

very disappointed tevez isnt starting tbh

what does he have to do to get a run in the team

Our midfield has more than enough to break up the Gunners attack and if Ronaldo decides to play and Rooney adapts to being up front on his own then I think it will be a cruise. I just hope Fergie isnt afraid to shake it up if it goes tits up.

wow, so if Utd just turn up and play well, they win? no matter how Arsenal play?

hmmm....

I'm guessing Ronaldo will be up top, not Rooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Park will press as much as Tevez and they have both proven to be equally ineffective in front of goal this season. I wouldn't count on either to score, to be honest

+1 and being able to bring tevez on later could have more of an impact and inject some energy if we're flagging. Plus tevez has a yellow card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Liam Brady commentating for RTE, cant wait for his biased commentary! (cue Wenger/Basil Fawlity insert:D)

Edit: Ok in fairness he wasnt biased there pre-match

Ah ffs the RTE panel are one of the most pro Utd around. :p

Headshot wrote: »
    very disappointed tevez isnt starting tbh

what does he have to do to get a run in the team

Murder Berbatov.....

Note: Add Park to list

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

will make a change from last weeks coverage :)

SlickRic wrote: »
    wow, so if Utd just turn up and play well, they win? no matter how Arsenal play?

hmmm....

Hehe no not at all I'm completely relying on Fletcher and Co playing a stormer and blocking the route through!!!

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »
    will make a change from last weeks coverage :)

Dont think he is commentating. He is at the stadium I think in his capacity as Arsenal youth team Director or whatever.

redout wrote: »
    Dont think he is commentating. He is at the stadium I think in his capacity as Arsenal youth team Director or whatever.

Well Bill handed over to 'Our commentary team' so its likely that he got it wrong but thats what he said!

Hehe no not at all I'm completely relying on Fletcher and Co playing a stormer and blocking the route through!!!

good answer ;)

they need to be at the top of their game tonight, or as you put it, its a lot more likely to go 'tits up' for you.

redout wrote: »
    He is at the stadium I think in his capacity as Arsenal youth team Director or whatever.

or serving up the balti pies at half time.

Im so nervous now

the utd team should be the same as last week

why change a good thing

Dear Mr. Stream

Please be good and work. Please.

Yours in hope,
    Tom65

Ahh, shíte. It broke as I wrote that. Anyone got any recommendations?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

my gut says a 2-0 homewin, but I reckon I'm biased enough that I just believe whatever I want at this stage.

good answer ;)

they need to be at the top of their game tonight, or as you put it, its a lot more likely to go 'tits up' for you.

I just cant see it happening with confidence so high right now. Stranger things have happened though. Put it this way, I was WAAAAY more nervous this time last year before the second leg with Barcelona and that match was at OT.....

there it is. it looks like Ronaldo is up front if the rumours pitchside are true.

odd.

looking more and more like a containing exercise, but who am I to question Fergie? :D

• Advertisement

Free flags for the crowd, great to see Jens on ITV 1 coverage :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Right so, off to watch the game. Hoping it's a good one, on every level! :D

C'mon United

Jens Lehman is doing the punditry for ITV. And complimenting Almunia. What on earth is going on?

I just cant see it happening with confidence so high right now. Stranger things have happened though. Put it this way, I was WAAAAY more nervous this time last year before the second leg with Barcelona and that match was at OT.....

i wouldn't be too confident until you get a goal to be honest.

Will someone please explain the team selection to me, especially if Ronaldo is playing at CF??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I know that I should know better.

But bloody Dunphy criticising Fergie!!!

He's the manager of the current European Champions! Better than anyone else right now, he should know how to win a tie! And here's Dunphy going on about how he gets 'too caught up in tactics and doesn't let the creative players shine'.

The reason we didn't win a European title for 9 years was because he didn't get tactical enough!

I'm disappointed in myself for rising to the bait :(

• Advertisement

there it is. it looks like Ronaldo is up front if the rumours pitchside are true.

odd.

looking more and more like a containing exercise, but who am I to question Fergie? :D

not sure why anyone would have thought otherwise, to be honest. I thought it was obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Argh...just start the match now, first beer on the way!

Enjoy the match lads,
    Sayonara

COME ON ARSENAL!!!

not sure why anyone would have thought otherwise, to be honest. I thought it was obvious.

because last time rooney played up front on his own against arsenal you cruised it 4-0.

and it's his best position.

so although 'odd' may have been a strong word to use, i wouldn't be that delighted as a utd fan to see that selection.

i don't understand why he doesn't just play his best team and go with it to be honest. it works a vast majority of the time no matter who you play.

i'm not complaining though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Sooooooo nervy. Please United for once kill it off early and save my nails. Not expecting it though.

because last time rooney played up front on his own against arsenal you cruised it 4-0.

and it's his best position.

so although 'odd' may have been a strong word to use, i wouldn't be that delighted as a utd fan to see that selection.

i don't understand why he doesn't just play his best team and go with it to be honest. it works a vast majority of the time no matter who you play.
    Cause it is Fergie, in Europe, cautious since Madrid spanked us.

Yeah, positionally it makes sense, but Rooney will be used for his defensive work, work Ronaldo could not be trusted to do, to the same level.

If i'm not mistaken, it is what we did away to Barcelona and away to Roma last year, Ronnie up top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Looks like a fantastic atmosphere in the stadium. For some reason I feel like United are going to struggle tonight.

Tevez not starting could be costly

that was poor by Park. good signs ;)

fabregas getting plenty of time on the ball already.

Thought that deflection was going in...Pheeewww

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Great early pressure from Arsenal. That deflection could've gone anywhere.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS YE DANCERRRRRRRR Gibbs so unlucky though...Great finish

Full-steam ahead Roma...........

1 - 0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

GAME OVER!

BOOM!!!

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,175 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Lol at Gibbs. United's first chance, not a bad return!

• Advertisement
Advertisement