Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Electrician Costs

• 02-05-2009 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering how much an electrician should be costing me. The house is 2750sq ft. Have been quoted 7k. How does this sound?

Nothing special in the fixes just standard. 55 sockets, 5 tv points, 10 spots.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Mine was 8k, but had spots throughout, and around 60 sockets, cat6 cabling, alarm and phone cabling, soffit lights externally, 6 tv, elec shower etc.
    There's plenty of sparks out there at the moment who would bite your arm off at the chance to price for a house, so get yourself at least 3 or 4 more prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,504 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

wardwil wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just wondering how much an electrician should be costing me. The house is 2750sq ft. Have been quoted 7k. How does this sound?

Thanks

Sounds expensive to me. Depends on where you are I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Hi All,

Thanks

Sockets + TV points typically cost around €80 . So €4.8 k for starters
    Spots - around €100 - another €1k
    a 2750sq ft house will have more lighting than 10 spots add €50 for each "tail" i.e. batten holder to take one standard light bulb

Then add
    Light switches - €50 ea
    Elec board ( fuse board )
    Fire Alarm system ( maybe 750-1000 )
    Intruder larm system ( 1500-2000)
    Heating controls ( min 1000)
    Extract fans ( 200 ea )
    Cooker point(s) (200 )
    Other spurs - boiler , pumps , garage door motor , driveway gates motor (100)
    External power points
    External lighting
    Earthing
    Testing and Certification

€7k starts to look keen - are you sure all you need is included ? I would think the final bill will be closer to €10k - more if you choose other than plain white light switches and power points - and not including your light fittings

Make sure a complete schedule is prepared and that all sparkies price that schedule - otherwise you won't be able to properly compare costs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

2000sq ft house with 5oo sq ft garage

6 TV points
    60 Sockets
    Intruder Alarm
    Supply and install electric shower
    Extractor fans
    5 phone points
    10 spots
    Facia lighting
    Fire and smoke alarms
    2 outdoor sockets
    Outdoor lights
    Underground cable for garden lights (but not in price for supply and install the lights)
    ETC

€5100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Mrs Smith

Our new build house is 2600 sq ft, 500 sq ft double garage, quoted €8600 to cover about 60 sockets, seven tv points, wiring for phone line and four phone points, twenty-one spots, outdoor socket, outdoor lights to house and garage, smoke and fire alarm wiring, wiring to front piers for power, includes power supply wiring to well/pump and sewage treatment system.
    I thought this was a bit pricey but reading some of the comments, I feel happier now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭wardwil

Just got back to the electrician and he has dropped the price to €6200.

I have everything in but I forgot the fire and smoke alarms... thanks for the listings on what was needed. He is doing the chasing for this as well.

Happy enough.

Best of luck to everyone building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Just got back to the electrician and he has dropped the price to €6200.

I have everything in but I forgot the fire and smoke alarms... thanks for the listings on what was needed. He is doing the chasing for this as well.

Happy enough.

Best of luck to everyone building.

You could get cheaper but you really don't want to cut costs on something like that.
    Personally I'd do it cheaper myself but many wouldn't.

If your electrician has a good reputation and you're happy with him then pay him,
    then €6,200 confident in the knowledge that you're not getting ripped off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 lucybeag

hi all
    just wondering how much for a builders finish of a 2700 sq ft house? got quote from 150k up to 205k in co kerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭dfcelt

Lucy your posting in wrong thread, start a new one. How long is a piece of string...ave 90/100 sq ft

2400 sq ft hse + 1000~ sq ft garage. House is 5 bed 2 storey c/w attic 8m x 5m open plan

3500 labour
    400 chasing
    Materials at cost (haven't a clue of what it'll be tbh)
    Cert 350
    Alarm terminations/cert excl
    Gate controls etc. excl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

sinnerboy wrote: »
    Sockets + TV points typically cost around €80 . So €4.8 k for starters
    Spots - around €100 - another €1k
    a 2750sq ft house will have more lighting than 10 spots add €50 for each "tail" i.e. batten holder to take one standard light bulb

Then add
    Light switches - €50 ea
    Elec board ( fuse board )
    Fire Alarm system ( maybe 750-1000 )
    Intruder larm system ( 1500-2000)
    Heating controls ( min 1000)
    Extract fans ( 200 ea )
    Cooker point(s) (200 )
    Other spurs - boiler , pumps , garage door motor , driveway gates motor (100)
    External power points
    External lighting
    Earthing
    Testing and Certification

€7k starts to look keen - are you sure all you need is included ? I would think the final bill will be closer to €10k - more if you choose other than plain white light switches and power points - and not including your light fittings

Make sure a complete schedule is prepared and that all sparkies price that schedule - otherwise you won't be able to properly compare costs

Thats crazy pricing and I speak as a sparks.

2K for an intruder alarm system ?

€200 for a cooker point ?

Nuts.

Its not 2004 anymore.

Eircom phone watch installed an intruder alarm for me for under 1K including 3 doors, windows and PIR's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,388 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'll move this over to the prices/costs forum.

Advertisement