Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So Tekken 6?

• 02-05-2009 11:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭

Any of you been playing this yet? I drop into Dr Quirkey's once a week to give it a go on the 3 machines they have there. Pretty good game but not too hard to get to the final boss, yet the bonus challenge they have before the 2nd last fight aint easy!!

Mostly i'm playing with Bob, one of the new guys and Roger Jr. myself, any of you guys try out the new toons, or still rocking it with the older ones?

Oh and 4euro for a gamer card, when the ones for Tekken 5 seems a bit of a rip off tbh:(

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Gave it a couple of shots in Quirkeys myself. Haven't delved too deep though. I'm a little snobbish about the Tekken games, much prefer the VF series in general!

• Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

Yes I'm not familar with the playing mechanics at all for the Tekken series.

Have not really given the series much there than a casual play through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭smilerf

personally i cant wait for tekken 6 for the ps3. i have sf4 sc4(bit of a letdown) vf5 mk v dc universe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭00011000

had a game there yesterday in Quirky's for the first time. the dudes there were really good. dunno i I will really get into this one. haven't been really playing this series a lot since TTT.

are there ever any tekken tournaments in ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I'll wait for the release on xbox 360 and then get back into my Jin/Hwoarang/Law :):D ....such a good game was tekken. Especially tekken tag

They should have included a TEAM type thing in Street Fighter 4, where you pick 2-9 different characters to comprise a team and then as each one gets killed you move onto the next char etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Don't know if I'll bother with this, loved Tekken 3, had it on the PS1 then played it nearly everyday in college for 5 years (they had an old arcade unit), because of this I developed a mean Jin and Hwoarang. Missed the games in between then got Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection off PSN when I got the PS3.

I was not happy at all in how they'd butchered up Jins move set, pretty much put me completely off the game :mad:

Plus I find SFIV vastly superior now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Give Tekken another try - play Devil Jin.
    He's like an evil, superior version of Old Jin -- with lasers! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Give Tekken another try - play Devil Jin.
    He's like an evil, superior version of Old Jin -- with lasers! :pac:

Never liked Devil Jin, I find him quite slow, he's like a mash up of the old Jin and True Ogre. It's like they split Jins moves from Tekken 3 between Jin and Kazuya.

I ended up playing a lot with Hwoarang, Yoshimitsu and Raven for the months I was playing it. The crappy online system, coupled with Jins changes just made me lose any interest in playing online. I'll still throw it on if friends are over, but don't think I'll be bothering with Tekken 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭00011000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I loved pretty much all of the previous Tekkens on the PS1 and the PS2. I assume Tekken 6 will be a PS3/X-Box 360 only release?

• Advertisement

malice_ wrote: »
    I loved pretty much all of the previous Tekkens on the PS1 and the PS2. I assume Tekken 6 will be a PS3/X-Box 360 only release?

Arcade too. Already in Dr Quirkeys if you want to give it a shot!

SDooM wrote: »
    Arcade too. Already in Dr Quirkeys if you want to give it a shot!
    Ah yeah, I should have mentioned the arcade version. Sadly, as I live in Galway, I doubt I'll be taking a special trip to Dublin just to visit an arcade. Maybe if I can combine it with a gig or something though.

How does it compare to Tekken 5 anyway?

malice_ wrote: »
    Ah yeah, I should have mentioned the arcade version. Sadly, as I live in Galway, I doubt I'll be taking a special trip to Dublin just to visit an arcade. Maybe if I can combine it with a gig or something though.

How does it compare to Tekken 5 anyway?

I hated Tekken 5 so what I have seen of 6 it seems better, but as mentioned above I am no great fan of the series...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

What did you hate about Tekken 5/Dark Resurrection?

I thought it was a huge improvement on 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

What did you hate about Tekken 5/Dark Resurrection?

I thought it was a huge improvement on 4.

I'd agree. Tekken 5 had more fluid gameplay than the others. It's my favourite of the series.

I just disliked t 5 from the off because I finished the game button bashing myy way through it on my first go. Standing in a HMV... didn't impress because of that.

I understand the gameplay is much more flowy than 4 but I lost interest when I managed that.

But the real challenge comes in playing people!
    Seriously, excepting maybe VF, there are no good game AIs - they all fall to similar tactics, and they're all WAY more aggressive than even the most pitbull of players.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    But the real challenge comes in playing people!
    Seriously, excepting maybe VF, there are no good game AIs - they all fall to similar tactics, and they're all WAY more aggressive than even the most pitbull of players.

I did mention I was a fan of VF, right? :)

I wasn't about to invest in a game which rewarded spamming (and it's a thing in all Tekkens, tbh).

Again, just my opinion!

I just disliked t 5 from the off because I finished the game button bashing myy way through it on my first go. Standing in a HMV... didn't impress because of that.

I understand the gameplay is much more flowy than 4 but I lost interest when I managed that.
    Maybe you're naturally talented at Tekken and you just don't realise it? :p Seriously though, as K.O.Kiki said, it's all about other people, playing against the computer should be used as a practice tool. I've always found that the computer opponents in Tekken can nearly always be taken out with just a few move patterns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I wasn't about to invest in a game which rewarded spamming (and it's a thing in all Tekkens, tbh).

Again, just my opinion!

Nobody should form their opinion about any fighting game from playing against the computer imo.

• Advertisement

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Nobody should form their opinion about any fighting game from playing against the computer imo.

... with no arcade scene to speak of, no network play and living with three women who only played bust-a-move?

What exactly was I supposed to judge it on? :)

There's no reason to judge if you don't have any real experience with the game against other people (eg. I've played KOF games vs the AI, but don't have any real experience, and I don't feel as if I know anything about the game). Playing vs the AI in most games is just finding out what combo the AI doesn't know how to defend against and spamming it.

And I don't know much about Tekken, but my impression was that it's a pretty tense jab-into-launcher game, where frame knowledge etc. comes into play heavily - I don't think saying it "rewards spamming" is very well-founded. It's like saying SF4 rewards spamming HP DPs with Ken - maybe true at very low-level play, but not otherwise (again though, I haven't really played much Tekken).

There's no reason to judge if you don't have any real experience with the game against other people (eg. I've played KOF games vs the AI, but don't have any real experience, and I don't feel as if I know anything about the game). Playing vs the AI in most games is just finding out what combo the AI doesn't know how to defend against and spamming it.

And I don't know much about Tekken, but my impression was that it's a pretty tense jab-into-launcher game, where frame knowledge etc. comes into play heavily - I don't think saying it "rewards spamming" is very well-founded. It's like saying SF4 rewards spamming HP DPs with Ken - maybe true at very low-level play, but not otherwise (again though, I haven't really played much Tekken).

Right, let me rephrase so: Tekken 5 clearly didn't offer what I needed from a fighting game at the time, and currently on the mechanics of tekken games I have played (2,3, and tag, with some 4) unless the game industry suddenly stops putting out games I seriously doubt I will ever have the time to go back.

Yeah that's fair enough, I was never hooked by the series either. I'll probably pick up T6 though, if only because pretty much all my friends would play it.

Yeah that's fair enough, I was never hooked by the series either. I'll probably pick up T6 though, if only because pretty much all my friends would play it.

It'll be interesting to see if tekken has the same hold over casual gamers as it used to, actually.

It'll be interesting to see just how badly it'll play on a 360 pad :D

Advertisement