Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know about rebarrelling

Options
  • 02-05-2009 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭

Ive been thinking about getting my rifle rebarrelled as I think its shot out,its very hard to clean its dull inside and shoots terrible.Could anyone first of all direct me to someone that can do a good job and secondly,what is the legal side to this.Is there a number on the new barrel that now needs to be put on my licence or is it legal to do here at all and what can I expect to pay.Id like to hear from people that have had this done or from people that genuinely know whats involved.Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

hi what rifle and what cal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

thedragon wrote: »
    Ive been thinking about getting my rifle rebarrelled as I think its shot out,its very hard to clean its dull inside and shoots terrible.Could anyone first of all direct me to someone that can do a good job and secondly,what is the legal side to this.Is there a number on the new barrel that now needs to be put on my licence or is it legal to do here at all and what can I expect to pay.Id like to hear from people that have had this done or from people that genuinely know whats involved.Thanks in advance.

If you're changing calibre you'll need to get your licence amended to reflect that. If not, then check whether the serial number is on the action or the barrel. If on the action, then get it re-barrelled and get the gunsmith to take possession of your old barrel for destruction and get a statement that this has happened. If the serial number is on the barrel, then get the smith to stamp the serial number on the new barrel and destroy the old one. The destruction of the old barrel is more important in the second scenario, but either way, re-barrelling is just a fact of life. Take the paperwork saying you've done it to your local firearms officer and give him the up-to-date story on the rifle. If they're not familiar with the process, explain it, ensuring them that you only have one barrel, that the serial number and calibre are the same, and that this is no problem for them (by far the most important bit) and that you're only telling them because you want to keep them appraised. I can't actually think of a legal obligation to inform them at all, but it's good practice and courtesy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭thedragon

Thanks guys,I had doubts if I could have it done here in Ireland.Now I must find the man for the job.I keep hearing of a man in Athlone who has started some kind of gunsmith shop,I think I read something on here about him in the past not sure of any details yet but Athlone would be near enough to me.I dont mind travelling any distance if the job is good.Any recomendations on who I can get at a price thats right.Oh and its a 6.5x55 Sako 75,I just want the same calibre again.

There's Fabian Connolly in Leitrim and John Greene in down Kilmacud (?) way anyway. It's a standard length action, so you're spoilt for choice in terms of calibre anyway, can stick anything in it up to and including 7mm Rem Mag or .300 Win Mag (with the bolt altered or replaced to accommodate the magnum case head).

Thanks guys,I had doubts if I could have it done here in Ireland.Now I must find the man for the job.I keep hearing of a man in Athlone who has started some kind of gunsmith shop,I think I read something on here about him in the past not sure of any details yet but Athlone would be near enough to me.I dont mind travelling any distance if the job is good.Any recomendations on who I can get at a price thats right.Oh and its a 6.5x55 Sako 75,I just want the same calibre again.

the 6.5 is far from a barrel burner you should be getting well over 5,000 rounds out of it .

try the KG bore shine have it re crowned and look at the bedding .

• Advertisement

Good point actually, how many rounds has it had through it?

A lot,but I dont think theres anything close to 5000 rnds through it.It might lack TLC over the yrs,maybe a good blast of something serious like one of you mentioned might save a lot of hassle and expense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

Ring him and get it from the horse's mouth.
    Fergal Whyte
    Carrickobrien, Athlone
    He has done a lot of work for me including Threading, Rebarrelling, trigger replacement, shotgun honing and what was absolutely brilliant was blueprinting a Rem 17 (decrease the group from 1.5" at 100 yards to less than .5"). IWM is bang on the ball as to the issues with the cops. Being there done all that when I got barrel changed
    Price wise he's sound not trying to screw people unlike some others i could mention

A lot,but I dont think theres anything close to 5000 rnds through it.It might lack TLC over the yrs,maybe a good blast of something serious like one of you mentioned might save a lot of hassle and expense.

if your keeping the same cal there is no problem with the cops as the serial no is mostly on the action .

i would recommend getting your new barrel proofed in birmingham no matter who does the work

Cheers lads,Im going to get in touch with that bloke in Athlone next week.Ill let ye know how it goes after I see him.Ive already spoke to someone who knows him.He seems to tick all the boxes but until I see results Im still open minded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

jwshooter wrote: »
    i would recommend getting your new barrel proofed in birmingham no matter who does the work

Whats the best way to go about getting this done?? Should it be reproofed if you get a barrel threaded afterwards?

Thats a bit of a grey area. technically after any work that effects the pressures in the barrel or action the firearm should be reproofed, but we don't have a proof house in ireland (south anyway) and as far as I know there is nothing in law to requires you to get it proofed, that is other than common sense but it takes about 6 weeks and is not cheap so its going to put up your bill with the smith here in ireland.
    so really if you get it threaded it is supposed to be reproofed

Jonty wrote: »
    Whats the best way to go about getting this done?? Should it be reproofed if you get a barrel threaded afterwards?

threading and any work should be done before hand ,border barrels will do a new barrel+ proofing + vat for under 500 pounds .
    is costs very little to get a rifle proofed .

it is not rocket science to fit a barrel and blue print a action but mistakes are made ,also insurance is a funny thing small print and all that .

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Malaga2

triskell wrote: »
    Thats a bit of a grey area. technically after any work that effects the pressures in the barrel or action the firearm should be reproofed, but we don't have a proof house in ireland (south anyway) and as far as I know there is nothing in law to requires you to get it proofed, that is other than common sense but it takes about 6 weeks and is not cheap so its going to put up your bill with the smith here in ireland.
    so really if you get it threaded it is supposed to be reproofed

Not sure Im understanding this... why would you need to get a new factory barrel proofed? I have had barrels taken off.. set back and rebarreled and other than verifying headspace there is not an issue. Same goes with threading, shortening or recrowning...
    One of my favorite rifles is a Sig Shr970 which is a multicalibre set up. Drop the stock take off the 308 barrel... throw on a 270 barrel and all in under 10 minutes..
    sounds like a load of crap to me... :confused:

The difference is you appear to be in the US and this crap is in ireland. nothing to do with firearms their uses or the licensing is simple here.

Blueprinting is not a big job if you have the proper equipment and know what your doing
    It's because of the liability issue that they get them reproofed just to cover their arses.

Thanks for the heads up on proofing...strange regs ...

Well Im just back from Athlone having brought my rifle to Fergal White and talk about a nice guy,no nonsence and none of this technical waffle about how wonderful I am and I can do this and whatever,which was what I was expecting to be honest because I kinda taught he sounded a bit that way on the phone but he was just listing off the number of things he taught might be wrong.I told him Id give him the thumbs up here on Boards,his imediate response was,if your happy say your happy,if you think I made a C++T of it say that too,I dont ever want a great reputation based on bull**** or having friends promoting me to others whenever they get the chance,I want to build my name and bussiness on fact not fiction so say whatever you want,good or bad.And this was before he even looked at it.
    Anyway he took a look and imediately he could tell that the crown wasnt great and I hadnt really been minding it,I asked do I need a rebarrel.He told me to go for a spin and drop back in an hour or so which I did.He had polished out the dullness with a JB compound and JB polishing compound and put it in the lathe and did a very nice recrown.We took it down the road to a nearby bog for a few shots,the wind was getting up so I wasnt expecting a whole lot of improvement really.Iwas amazed at what came next and bare in mind this thing was throwing 3" and worse at 100yrds.A beautiful 5 shot clover leaf,this was better than it ever shot before,Incredible.What got me about this guy was,he could have made a right good earner if he rebarrelled it and I wouldnt have been any the wiser but he wouldnt and You dont see that very often.This is a man that deserves supporting I think.He didnt think this was any big deal its just a recrown he said,but to me this was phenominal.Keep up the good work Fergal,your going to be a very big name in this little country of ours.

thats good news

Great that this worked out for you...

Advertisement