Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what do you get out of this forum

Options
  • 02-05-2009 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

just booked the hatton fight and the prelims are not the great so killing time ,but there is a question i would like to ask.

i have talked to a lot of people and meet some form boards the ones i have meet i have liked ,sound lads that like there sport .

with most things i would reckon there is a good few lads on hear that dont own a firearm have no knowledge of our sport but do trawl the Internet for most of there answers.

then there is the lads like myself that if he is not hunting ,there talking hunting or when asleep there dreaming hunting.

from bunnys to deer when im hunting im happy.

i can see the passion lads have for there sport dave and his raptors ,pull n bang and the clay and feathered birds IWM target shooting soon to be stalking ,not to forget clive and his bunnys .

then there is the lad that has been hunting a week and if you want to know any thing just ask him ,these boys i have no time for as you know.

i have learned a lot from the forum and i think boards will go form strength to strength .
    when i started there was noting like this ,sound advice was hard to come by .

what do you guys get out of it .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Much the same as yourself, jw, I find this a place where all sides of the sport come together. We have input from people with vast experience in competitive shooting, from clays, to smallbore and fullbore rifle, to pistols. We have great input from the administrative bodies of several of our biggest shooting sports. We have great information on hunting, from discussion of interesting and exotic calibres and all the interesting sides of ballistics (only earlier I was talking to someone about Ackley variants privately), to tips on equipment and technique for hunting. We have notices and posted information on firearms safety and people's personal experiences. We show that we're gentlemen for the most part by our appreciation for our game, by our attention to the preservation of flora and fauna, by our excellent and beautiful wildlife photography in the hunting forum. We have input on wildlife from several professionals in the field. We take new people to the sport, treat them respectfully and answer questions we've read a hundred times before with patience and attention to detail in all cases and across all the forums. We have political input. Our discussions are observed by the powers that be and our opinions are noted, our thoughts are accounted, and by and large, we make a good case for ourselves as a representation of engaged sporting shooters of the country. That's what makes the forum so good. I only took up shooting properly in college and Boards led me far deeper into it than I would have gone otherwise. I've since shared the things I've come to through Boards with other people, and for all of these reasons, it's a proper community.

That is annoying and hard to read, but I can't for the life of me figure out where to stick paragraphs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

This is a great place to spend the last hour or two before bed or after a couple hours of lampin, or any hunting related excercise....It's got alot of like minded individuals with the same interests. To me, when away from home, it feels like home even browsing through all the comments and posts. Like another family:d ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

I'm the guy who is only hunting a week and if I want to know something I come here and either search for the answer or ask.

What I get out of the shooting forum : Advice and guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

Hi all,

Although I'm new on here, I've been shooting vermin for about 25 years but mostly on and around the farm which gives me a very isolated perspective, tunnel vision I suppose, so it's great to hear what others have to say and gain the huge benefits of other people's opinions, advise and experience in constructive way.

My thanks to all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

advice and guidance ,jw and a good oul nosy ,to see wot other lads are at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

I'm total newbie to the shooting scene, none of my friends or family are interested in shooting and I found it very hard to get any info about it.

Any time I googled anything firearms related Boards.ie always popped up, so here I am.

Nemesis hit the nail on the head with " advice and guidance", certainly plenty of both around!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I joined the forum in December 07 just to get info from the people that were in the know. My son was getting a 223. The advice was good, true and honest. Now over a year + later I have my own guns and I like to think that I'm now giving back what little I have learnt.

Like others I have met up with people from these fourms and made a very good friend who has shown me what I would never have learnt myself.

As a comunity it's the best and the forum goes from strength to strength. I can't seem to go a day without checking in to see what's been posted up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I suppose I'm a bit live Clive. There's good advice here, some sound fellas and a very few lads that would fight with their shadow:D, I suppose its really a microcosm of Irish society in that regard.

Its miles ahead of www.thehuntinglife.com, and more relevent than the American www.thehighroad.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭IDon'tKnow!

Like most people its the advice you get off here. There is all so a bit of banter and when all that is not enough you can have a bit of a moan.

See the internet can be used for something that is not X rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Boards and the shooting forums in general allow me to "talk" to people who have like minded interest.

You are never too old or experienced for advice be it about the guns/scopes/dogs or any other aspect of the various sports. I have been shooting 22 yrs and will gladly say that I have learned from people on this forum.

If I need help with a question, I'll search first if I cant find it I'll post it and someone will point me in the general direction or answer straight out. You can have a debate/discussion even a "row" (within the limits):D to get to the crux of the issues that are affecting you, and at the end of it all the mods are fair and keep a good reign on things. (dont get swelled heads lads)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Advice! Any troublesome issue that I encounter, in my search for answers I use the all-knowing oracle that is the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

For me it's advice, a bit of banter, the chance to talk sh1t with people that enjoy a bit of shooting and of course the odd cheap scope or moddy and to make a few friends along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jagged

kay 9 wrote: »
    This is a great place to spend the last hour or two before bed or after a couple hours of lampin, or any hunting related excercise....It's got alot of like minded individuals with the same interests. To me, when away from home, it feels like home even browsing through all the comments and posts. Like another family:d ;)

x2
    Im always lurking around here and this place has given me mountains of information;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I get annoyed by twats who critise something and are known to do the same. Like shooting deer at long range ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

were else would i get instuctions to build a larson trap for 30 quid....
    Cavan shooter...you there....Pics mate..I need pics....;);)

But more on a serious note,sound advice from a sound bunch..
    And the banter is second to none..I love watching old mate Clive dig a hole for himself(tongue in cheek):rolleyes::rolleyes:

Keep up the good work lads....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭thedragon

Im not sure what catagory Im in but its a great site,always something interesting on it.I dont know a lot about the technical end of the rifle but Im not technically minded anyway,however I have been shooting about 3years now and If shooting was a deadly virus,I dont think Id have very long left to live.I love my shooting and Im really getting to know what Im at.Im always thinking about what I can buy next.I love the magazines and my wish list is getting fuller by the day.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

As an example of how useful this forum is, have a look at this thread further down the page. Chap looking for advice on a certain make of shotgun and he's put straight very quickly by the members. It's one of the best features of this forum.

Not only is there great banter but it's full of useful bits and pieces. the stickys are a great resource for recipes, tips and just to get a look at some of the hardware out there. Where else would you get up to the minute info on what's happening with the FCP? Who among us would have found out about the Sinn Fein ban on bloodsports unless we went specifically looking for that type of info.

From my own perspective I've been put straight on buying a pistol. I didn't realise there was so much involved so I knocked it on the head.

All in all, it's a fantastic resource and one that should be cherished and protected. I'd also give a big thumbs up to our Mods who do a great job (nothing like a bit of brown nosing:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭ak51535

Yeah, I'm often on this thread (often in school but shh :P) and there is alot of useful information from the lads on this, very useful to a newbie like meself lol yeah and i agree with pullandbang, the moderators on this do a very good job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

I'm a pistol and rifle owner, not very competitive, and don't have any real interest in hunting. (but plenty of friends who do).

Love to see more responsible training/use of firearms in Ireland.(Yep we've all seen the road signs riddled by some idiot)

I find the forum has slipped a bit over the years.
    It's still good for advice on gear etc.
    Maybe time for stricter posting rules... we seem to have the same threads all the time: How do I get a licence?, How do I get a pistol?
    Nice to see less of the he said/she said my organisations better than yours blah blah rubbish that was going on for so long.

I'm nearly 20 years shooting, but I learn something new here every week. Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

The repeat threads do tend to be a bit annoying maybe we should put together a series of FAQs, but hey we have all asked a question that was answered two years ago somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Shooting for about three years now but I've only recently come to boards.
    The answers I've got here were great, originally I signed up to get some info on a ruger 10 22 I was looking at and I've been hooked since:D.
    There have been some really interesting threads like Davy's one on the knife and other real helpful one's like Clive's on zeroing a scope, which I'm using to zero a new Hawke nighteye, which was recommended by several people in this forum.
    I've also tried to give back a bit with what little experience I have, don't know how successfull thats been tho:rolleyes:.

All in all a useful, well controlled forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭pajero2005

Unrivaled advice, real opinions and a big pile of help from a decent bunch of people who always have time to answer my questions, however basic or complex. Thats what I get. Cheers all, would be lost without ye:D

Advertisement