Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best bit-rate for mp3 or best to get OGG or FLAC?

• 03-05-2009 1:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

What bit rate in mp3 is indistinguishable from CD quality? Obviously 320kbps+. But is 256 enough. I'm considering getting some very good speakers and haven't the cash to go buy all the music I have in mp3 on CD again (CDs are lost or scratched).

Or is lossless, FLAC and OGG the best way to go for a proper audio experience?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

quarryman wrote: »
    What bit rate in mp3 is indistinguishable from CD quality? Obviously 320kbps+. But is 256 enough. I'm considering getting some very good speakers and haven't the cash to go buy all the music I have in mp3 on CD again (CDs are lost or scratched).

SACD/HDCD is my preferred way to play back music.
    Unfortunately simply recoding MP3 to FLAC or OGG wont put back what's missing in the files.
    Flac would be my preferred way to digitize a disc however.

>Sol
    PS if like read this disheartening bit of news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

quarryman wrote: »

Flac or WAV would be proper lossless but not every MP3 player can handle them. http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/ is easily the best program for ripping but there is a bit of a learning curve!

The MP3s you have cannot be improved, to get lossless you need the CD as a source.

Personally I'd regard 320kbs as an absolute minimum and really only suitable for the car or an MP3 player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

akaSol wrote: »
    >Sol
    PS if like read this disheartening bit of news.

It might be disheartening but the article is also very ill-informed. Typical Indo puff-piece. Vinyl sales are on the rise while the CD single has been reduced to a tool for radio promotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You can't improve the MP3 files you already have, as has already been mentioned.

If you do have access to CDs and want to rip them, then 192 kbps is indistinguishable from CD in most cases, in tests I have done, and 256 kbps and up is most certainly indistinguishable. If you are encoding from scratch, I would suggest using AAC instead of MP3.

This site is an excellent place to for info on all matters related to music encoding: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org

Advertisement