Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oh, I hate Cork people

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Kipperhell wrote: »
    I just don't like people who:
    • Say "boy" or "like" at the end of every sentence.
    • Need to change octave randomly when speaking
    • Use the term "langer"
    They just all seem to come from Cork but is not people from Cork I dislike it is simply idiots. There are equally stupid vocal patterns and limit conversational methods from elsewhere too.

So you don't like Des Bishop.

He's not from Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭sneakerfreak

<Ollie> wrote: »
    You'd be amazed at the amount of people that say this. Are we really that bad like? Or is it just jealousy?

I'm not sure it was always as bad as it is now, but since the hurling stike, the Keane Saipan affair, and maybe the Stephen Ireland situation too it has gotten to a stage where everyone seems to hate us.

Are we really a bunch of langers?

This is why we hate yis,full of yourselves

btw if youre a troll ur very succesful,u win one internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

This is why we hate yis,full of yourselves

btw if youre a troll ur very succesful,u win one internet.
    What's all this "we" business paleface? Are you the representative for the rest of Ireland outside Cork?

Pighead has no problem with the Corkonians. None at all. Nothing wrong with a bit of confidence and funny high pitched talking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

CDfm wrote: »
    So you don't like Des Bishop.

He's not from Cork.

I certainly don't like him from meeting him prior to his "fame". Most of the time he speaks in that way he is emulating Cork dialectic making it worse

A bit unfair. London and Manchester, Edinburgh and Glasgow and lots of first and second cities do have rivalries.

The Cork accent and cooloqial use of Hiberno- English is peculiar to Cork. The dialect includes many words phrases etc borrowed from other cultures and countries. So its a dialect with wider origins and different influences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Defining people based on where they're from... grow up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

What Dudess said, but can I also add, Cork accents can be kinda sexy on the right guy! :p

Dudess wrote: »
    Defining people based on where they're from... grow up?

Believe me, I got loads of it when I lived in Kerry. I think it's ridiculous, especially since much of it was related to 1970s GAA rivalries. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Anyone who says the hate they people of any county is obviously quite retarded. I love Cork. They have this dry-ish sense of humour, and it cracks me up.

/Cork flag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I love the Cork accent to .Nothing to do with my mother being from there (she lost her Cork accent years ago) but it's just different to anything else .Like we use to say Cork pople dont speak .....they sing :D

I tell's ya Boy !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

Irish cities......****e full stop!

As expensive as New York and London only not worth a tenth of it! Tripping over drunk ****! Enduring the various strata of social circle jerks! Scumbags! Rain! Sh!t public transport.....Cycling resembles a version of rollerball, only instead of dying for entertainment you die for lack of a doctor! The various local enclaves of old money and fat solicitors! Dog Sh!t! Filthy canals! Local papers! More rain! Clampers! Traffic! Sh!te local authorities! Sh!te amenities! Local politicians! Local Fringe Politicians! Leaf blowers! Spar! Rich kids! One way systems! God awful housing estates! Round abouts! Commuting! The church owning half the place!

Frankly, arguing the difference between Cork and Dublin is like arguing the difference between dog sh!t and cow sh!t. The minute you step in it, your gonna regret it......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Love to know how many of the "Oooh, they're sooo annoying!1!" bandwagon have actually been to Cork...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I hate Board Gais customer care... ;)

I do like the cork people though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

come here like,what the hell is this all about,your really havin a laff saying that theres a problem with us down here,sad bunch of west brit langers ye are, a good feed of crubeens or corned bodice will cure your delusions boy,

ahh the voices http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idob9z66Gkc bliss!!

the food leaders are reared on

You Suck! wrote: »
    As expensive as New York and London only not worth a tenth of it! Tripping over drunk ****! Enduring the various strata of social circle jerks! Scumbags! Rain! Sh!t public transport.....Cycling resembles a version of rollerball, only instead of dying for entertainment you die for lack of a doctor! The various local enclaves of old money and fat solicitors! Dog Sh!t! Filthy canals! Local papers! More rain! Clampers! Traffic! Sh!te local authorities! Sh!te amenities! Local politicians! Local Fringe Politicians! Leaf blowers! Spar! Rich kids! One way systems! God awful housing estates! Round abouts! Commuting! The church owning half the place!
    Most of the items/phenomena you've mentioned can be found in New York and London. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Namlub wrote: »
    Love to know how many of the "Oooh, they're sooo annoying!1!" bandwagon have actually been to Cork...

I've been numerous times and 'they're sooo annoying' as a collective. A group talking in that accent is the biggest earsore possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

i hope non corkonians realise thats its only people that live in the city and certain suburbs that have that thick cork "bye" accent.

Yeah, but pretty much no Cork person is entirely immune to it...

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I've been numerous times and 'they're sooo annoying' as a collective. A group talking in that accent is the biggest earsore possible.
    Fair enough, my issue is with people saying they hate Corkonians as opposed to saying they hate the accent...

• Advertisement

Most of the items/phenomena you've mentioned can be found in New York and London. :)

DOH!

Ah, but such unique combinations can only be found in Irish cities with lashings and lashings of rain......haven't you read angelas ashes..... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

Frank McCourt was a dope... Making Limerick look awful, apparently its all lies so Ive heard from older members of our community...:rolleyes:

OT, Cork is class, sound people up for a laugh and have the best looking women in Ireland FACT. (I always figured this myself but read it in the paper too!)

Cork > Dublin

Limerick > Everywhere :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭JEBUS 1

yupyup7up wrote: »

Cork < Dublin

Limerick < Everywhere
    FYP :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I've been to Cork City twice and Fermoy a bunch of times for competitions.

Whats with all the Maher shops in Cork City? Almost every street seems to have one.

I think its a beautiful city, probably the nicest in Ireland and certainly the cleanest I've been to. As for the people, a few I know annoy me, most are fine.

The one that rubbed me up the wrong way asked me a question about computers I've known the answer to since I was about 12 so I answered and he asked his other mate from Cork was I right even though neither of them knew anything about computers. Other guy just said yeah I think thats right. Eh? I just told you the answer and neither of you know anything about computers so neither of you could say I was wrong even if I was wrong :-/

I think with the Cork accent, an idiot from Cork somehow sounds more stupid than the idiots from elsewhere. Anyway other than those two everyone else I've met from Cork has been sound and not annoying with the possible exception of two girls in the last place I worked. One was a nice person but knew nothing about computers and didn't want to learn which would be fine except she rang me for help every day. The other girl was in the Cork office and rings asking a question and so busy thinking highly of herself to listen to the answer. Really annoying, thick Cork accent too.

yupyup7up wrote: »

Cork > Dublin

Limerick > Everywhere :D
    :DLOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

soundsham wrote: »
    come here like,what the hell is this all about,your really havin a laff saying that theres a problem with us down here,sad bunch of west brit langers ye are, a good feed of crubeens or corned bodice will cure your delusions boy,

ahh the voices http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idob9z66Gkc bliss!!

the food leaders are reared on

Sadly, this isn't helping ease tension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

thebman wrote: »
    The one that rubbed me up the wrong way asked me a question about computers I've known the answer to since I was about 12 so I answered and he asked his other mate from Cork was I right even though neither of them knew anything about computers.

That is a pretty arsehole-y thing to do to be fair...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

I haven't even read any of the thread, but just wanted to voice my approval of the title.

The one that rubbed me up the wrong way asked me a question about computers I've known the answer to since I was about 12 so I answered and he asked his other mate from Cork was I right even though neither of them knew anything about computers. Other guy just said yeah I think thats right. Eh? I just told you the answer and neither of you know anything about computers so neither of you could say I was wrong even if I was wrong :-/
    Not reading too much into it, by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭cazzzzz

accent for me as well. it's really annoying. it's not the people, just the accent

Hey our accent is individual and i'm proud to be from Cork...was born in Dublin..at the end of the day we're all irish and we all have strong accents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Heckler

Speaking of accents and Corkonians use of "like" and "boy".

Whats with the Dubs use of "and all". Usually said as " an' all". Always at the end of a sentance same as like and boy.

As in "me gran went down the shops and brought me back pokemon cards an' all." "Me and me da went on holidays to Spain an' all".

Doesnt bother me, just wondering it comes from.

I'm from Cork and neither like nor dislike the place. Just where I'm from. Has its good and bad points as does Dublin. The whole PROC thing is a windup btw.

• Advertisement

Namlub wrote: »
    Not reading too much into it, by any chance?

No they just don't trust anyone that isn't from Cork.

Not saying all Cork people are like that but those two were. Other people have said the same thing about them about non-computer related things.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

Cork has it's good parts and it's bad parts.

The best being that it will NEVER be the capital mwah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Joking (but true:pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭sul02

I think Cork is a right spot. I dont mind the accent, its the really thick west cork accent thats frickin hilarious, it doesnt annoy me though its just like im in awe of the sound of it or something lol

I think Cork is just a nice part of the country, I do think its way nicer than Dublin which is desperately in need of a good clean and have half those housing estates torn down :mad:

Dublin is dirty and its almost a source of pride for Dubliners that it is. Thats quite sad dont you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

CDfm wrote: »
    Dublin is dirty and its almost a source of pride for Dubliners that it is. Thats quite sad dont you think.

It would be sad if it was true.

... two girls in the last place I worked. One was a nice person but knew nothing about computers and didn't want to learn which would be fine except she rang me for help every day. The other girl was in the Cork office and rings asking a question and so busy thinking highly of herself to listen to the answer.
    Assholes - available in all colours, sizes, nationalities. I mean, you're saying you think most Cork people are all right, yet you're still bringing where these few people are from into it. Their being from Cork is irrelevant.
    Even saying most people from Cork are all right... yeah, most people are all right, irrespective of where they're from.

It would be sad if it was true.

Ann Riordain Chairwoman of Dublin Tourism was quoted in the Business Post last year saying this
    ‘‘Litter is probably our biggest challenge, not just for Dublin Tourism, but for us as Dubliners. We’d like to see our streets clean. It’s not only cosmetic - a city that is clean gives a sense of safety. You could see the effect in New York,” she said. According to Riordan, everyone from the city manager downwards is tearing their hair out and, despite a big increase in the number of cleaning crews on the streets, litter has yet to be eradicated.

Assholes - available in all colours, sizes, nationalities. I mean, you're saying you think most Cork people are all right, yet you're still bringing where these few people are from into it. Their being from Cork is irrelevant.
    Even saying most people from Cork are all right... yeah, most people are all right, irrespective of where they're from.

Well the thread isn't titled, I like Cork people.

I could go on about the nice people I've met from Cork like the 3 girls I met earlier this year when I went there on holiday that were a great laugh and a lot of fun if you want.

i mean its either that or just ignore the thread completely but I felt compelled to comment after reading it for a laugh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭listowel1

sur any kerry lad would hate those langers!! As jonjo wrote the other night about there lovely rose, they are fine and hefty ppl down dere.
    Seem to live in their own little world down there.

• Advertisement

listowel1 wrote: »
    sur any kerry lad would hate those langers!! As jonjo wrote the other night about there lovely rose, they are fine and hefty ppl down dere.
    Seem to live in their own little world down there.
    This is just ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

I've nothing whatsoever to add to this thread jus wanna get a to a thousand posts cause I've been stuck in the 900's for ages now.;):eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

**insert judgements about the character of others based solely on the fact that they were born on the other side of an imaginary line through no choice of their own here**

cork is too small to be considered a proper city and is a bit of a ****hole, but lets be honest, there isnt really any major town/city in ireland that couldnt be described as a ****hole for some reason or another, even the rural areas are turning into kips lately it seems

oh and of course dublin is the capital, i dont think anyone is seriously disputing that, but it doesnt really have a proper city feel to it either, just my own opinion though

ive personally met assholes from all over the country and indeed from all over the world, nice people too, but lets face it, the world is made up mostly of assholes, why would you expect cork to be any different?

edit: to sum up, id have to say its a bit like a tallest midget contest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Tuppence ha'penny looking down on tuppence (in their opinion at least).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

'Love Cork. Great people. :)

indough wrote: »
    **insert judgements about the character of others based solely on the fact that they were born on the other side of an imaginary line through no choice of their own here**
    I know. It's hilariously dumb.
    cork is too small to be considered a proper city and is a bit of a ****hole
    I don't think population is the defining factor though. Also, I know you're entitled to your opinion, but I personally can't see what's "****hole" about Cork - it's nothing to do with civic pride or anything, it's just I think it actually looks really nice (bar parts of it of course). I can never understand people banging on about how much of a festering ****hole Dublin is either. Looks ok to me - again, with the exception of some areas. Nothing unusual about that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭barakus

NickNolte wrote: »
    Wow. Kildare. The lilly livered pussies with the annoying accents that spawned such shítbeasts as Ray Darcy and, well, enough said. Fair play to you for standing up to Dublin and Cork. You should be very proud of yourself. Enjoy sitting in your nice little Kildare home and please, for the sake of the rest of us, stay there and don't even consider a radio or TV job.

Shitbeasts.. gonna use that one:D

Aren't these disputes normally settled in Croak park.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

watna wrote: »

I thought it was pretty deluded. If heaven is like Cork then I'll be sorely disappointed!

You'll be far more disappointed if Heaven is like Dublin - especially if you park in the wrong place.

If I had to choose a place to live between the two, Dublin doesn't have a chance, whether city or counties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

Yeah, but pretty much no Cork person is entirely immune to it...

i disagree. put someone from castletownbere in the same room as someone from mayfield and there's a good chance they wouldn't understand each other

Advertisement