Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Door Locks

• 03-05-2009 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi All,

We are getting a double door made by a joiner and he has asked me to get the locking system.

I have been looking at six point locking systems and today at the better homes show I was told that was a waste of time as this weakens the door.

Can anyone help me on this? What is the best way to secure these front doors. Should I go for a standard lock in the door intself.

Any suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Get your joiner to get the locking system . With you if necessary but he must pick it . So if problems arise later - only he is responsible .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

Why not just get a chubb lock?

It'll cost you far less and if by some chance firemen have to get into you at least they can break through to you.

Watched a video of 10 firemen trying to get through a door with a super duper fancy locking system, watching it made me think what is more important my family or my valuables.

I only have a chubb lock on mine but rarely use it unless we're away on holiday.

The reality is that most thieves and burglars are opportunists and won't risk making lots of noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

6 point locking on double doors?

the weak link here is how the door that opens second is fixed to the top frame and the floor in the middle, ie not the hinged side.
    Get good quality hidden bolts that go top and bottom and then a yale or similar that locks and a 5 lever genuine chubb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

after seeing the aftermath of a break in. Is not the locking mechanism that fails in a breakin.

They use vise grips and break the euro lock barrel that sticks out.

A secondary system would be a good idea .

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭wardwil

I just talked to the joiner and he told me to get a yale or union lock for the top of the door and then a deadbolt for the mid section.

Anyone know a good deadbolt lock?

Thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement