Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are accessable bathrooms actually accessable?

Options
  • 03-05-2009 2:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

Sorry if I'm kinda ignorant, I'm not in a wheelchair and I don't know anyone who uses one.

I was just wondering if accessible bathrooma are actually usable. Apparently, my school is accessible, but there’s only one accessible toilet which only has one handrail. And I have to stretch up to use the hand drier so I don't think someone in a wheelchair would be able to reach. The sink is also really high and the soap dispensers are quite high.

I was in another accessible bathroom a while ago (the ladies was out of order), and I could barely open the door. When it opened it nearly sent me flying backwards. I was trying to figure out how someone using a wheelchair could open that door while moving backwards.

So I was just wondering, it that common? Or were these two places just badly laid out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭smilerf

as a wheelchair user myself id say most are accessible but some r awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭parka

Most are not accessible as the building regs are too far behind. Saying that access isn't just about wheelchairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

From personal experience, i would say that a majority of 'accessible' toilets and bathrooms i've used are inaccessible

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I've been to a lot of places where there are virtually no means for wheelchair users to move about freely let alone go to the toilet due to the fact there are no accessible toilets on the premises.

I was in a restaurant with my dad last week where I live and my dad said it would be a nice place to bring my Uncle. He's got MS and uses a wheelchair. I was in agreement but I looked around and everywhere is so narrow and even getting to the toilet would be a nightmare, even for myself because you have to pass the kitchen where people are always moving about etc.

I've never once seen a wheelchair user in this restaurant before and I understand why.

As for places with accessible toilets, a lot I've seen are very well done out. I think a good example of this is in the Jervis Centre in Dublin. Big wide walkway to go down to the toilets and a huge ton of space for the wheelchair user to move around easily.

Advertisement