Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student: Rent Allowance?

Options
  • 03-05-2009 3:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    I'm posting this on behalf of my bf, any help is greatly appreciated!
    He's a 26year old mature student about to finish his 2nd year of a 4 year degree.
    He worked full time for 6 years (but not on huge money-just a little bit over min. wage) before he started college, so he wasn't on the dole, therefore his didn't qualify for the BTEA scheme.

However, he is is receipt of the Local Authority Educational Grants, approx. 6k per annum. He is classed as a dependant on his parents, even though in reality he receives no financial assistance from them, but as his mum gets FIS payments, this allows him to get 6k instead of 4k, according to Citizens Info office.

What he wants to know is would he be eligable for rent allowance at all? When he first planned on going back to college, he talked to the Citizens info office and they said his only entitlement was the 6k, with no rent allowance.

Up until recently, he got by on that, and supplemented his income with part time work, however, he's getting worried about the situation in September, as 3rd year will be a v.important year for him in college and he expects to have to cut a lot of his part time hours.

Is there any way he'd be eligable for rent allowance? He's currently paying 370e per month, but even a contribution towards that would greatly help.
    Many thanks, and apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place, mods feel free to move if I am!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭becah

Anybody have any idea about this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 TweetyPie1

Hi Becah,

I don´t think he is eligible for rent allowance as far as I am aware this is only payable to ppl in receipt of social welfare but don´t quote me on that, it would be harm in enquiring with your local citizens information.
    If he is finding things tough money wise most colleges have a hardship fund available to students. Not many ppl are aware of this but the money is available it just needs to be asked for. Obviously there is limited funds available to students each yr and I think it is allocated on a first come first served basis. Might be worthwhile enquiring now before this yr is over so that come sept he will be in a position to apply for this and have all relevant info. I´m sure the students union or chaplain of clg would be able to point him in right direction.
    Hope this helps......

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ditmature

Hi Becah,

Unfortunately, students in full time education are not entitled to claim (e.g.) the dole, or any benefits associated with it, such as Rent Allowance.

If your BF had qualified for the BTEA, then he would have been eligible to claim Rent Allowance while in college.

But because he wasn't on the dole before starting college, he doesn't get the BTEA. Even if he had been claiming the dole before starting college, if he hadn't been claiming it for long enough (12 months) prior to commencing his course, he would have lost his dole and any benefits that came with it when he entered full time education.

The system therefore encourages people to stay on the dole for at least a year before coming back to college, hardly an ideal situation...

I'm sorry that the news couldn't be better, but I agree with TweetyPie1, you should investigate the Student Assistance Fund at his college. As a recipient of both the grant and the top-up grant, he would surely coast through whatever means-testing that the college does to determine eligibility for the SAF.

Best wishes,

Bob

Advertisement