Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade sticks

Options
  • 03-05-2009 4:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭

Nice Catch all thread to get some discussion started ;)

Here are your options on 360 and ps3:

Hori EX2
    xbox-360-hori-fightingstickex2a.jpg

Cheapest stick you'll get, post SFIV boom you should be able to get one for 30-60 quid again.
    Stick is loud and clicky, and as with the buttons, hori own parts.
    Mods are tricky, esp stick mods, but possible, buttons not microswitched.
    I've had mine since VF5 came out, buttons starting to really be needing to be replaced now

How to get the stick to work on PC:
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=141775

Hori Real Arcade Pro EX
    pa.130808.2.jpg

Xbox version of the HRAP.
    Comes with Sanwa JLF stick and hori buttons.
    8 face buttons give more options and make playing King of Fighters more alluring.
    Also available Hori Real Arcade Pro EX SE, which has seimetsu buttons, though imo opinion not as nice looking.
    Was availible in Japan only, though Hori's US site lists its RRP at $129.99

Fighting Stick 3
    fighting_stick_3.jpg

PS3 version of the hori ex2, with 8 buttons (arranged with the first three comfortably curved back three oddly slanted.
    Has turbo settings too.
    Rest is the same afaik

Hori Real Aracde Pro 3
    4514-101560-HRAP3JPG-468x.jpg
    PS3 version of the Real arcade pro.
    Previous versions aren't compatible with PS3 afaik.
    White version above if more expensive than the regular one, and all sanwa version is also availible HRAP 3 SA

I Imagine picking up either of the HRAPs would be tricky here and definitely over priced.

Mad Catz

Standard Edition
    mad-catz-fightstick-20090127035643697.jpg

Supposedly are tight little stick.
    full 8 face buttons, curved and straight. Madcatz own stick and buttons afaik.
    Reportedly a problem with some sticks soon after launch locking up.
    Original rrp:$69.99

Tournament Edition
    originalstick-thumb-640xauto-1191.jpg

Full sanwa parts, quick disconects, all circutry labled clearly for modding, table mounting
    Original rrp $150

Unfortunatly Mad cats are out of stock so there already expensive sticks are utterly unaffordable right now, for example the cheapest on amazon is €200
    There are making more however.

Also hori will be releasing more ex 2 for Marvel vs Capcom in a few months.

Now playing: The Pigeon Detectives - Don't Know How To Say Goodbye via FoxyTunes

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I has Street Fighter 4 Tournament Edition Stick which I found at the recommened retail price on the German E-bay and the Hori Fighting Stick 3 for the PS3 which I picked up in my local Gamestop.

Used the Fighting Stick 3 while I waited for my tourney stick to arrive. Was fine for what it was. Its now my spare stick which I give to freinds playing 2 player.

I hear those sticks tend to have buttons stop working with high usuage, occuring quicker than most other sticks.

The tournament stick is great. Worth the orginal asking price of €/£/$150 if you can find it for that. The weight on it means it does not move round, what ever surface its on. Has a storage space for the cable so its easy to manage.
    Works perfect for me on the PC as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

For those of us with older PS1/2 sticks there are these little beauties:

PS2>PS3 Converter

I've had a HRAP for a number of years now and even without any mods, it's a damn fine stick.

Is there a PS3 to PS2 convertor as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Azza wrote: »
    Is there a PS3 to PS2 convertor as well?

I don't know.

Anyone ever tried using a PS3 controller in the USB port on the PS2?

Will try it and see what happens when I get a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Also hori will be releasing more ex 2 for Marvel vs Capcom in a few months.

They released some sticks for Death Smiles recently. I was waiting to buy one. They didn't last 5 minutes before all the preorders were taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

For MVC2 you might want to get a Happ stick instead, since you need the stick to spring back to neutral faster, etc. etc. Though if you are interested in competitive MVC2 you probably know this already anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I have a hori ex2 soul calibur edition but one of the buttons is icky. I've ordered sanwa buttons and a octogonal restrictor plate and some microswitches for the stick. There's a great hori ex2 modding guide here: http://pineconeattack.com/2008/12/07/how-to-mod-the-hori-fighting-stick-ex2-with-authentic-arcade-parts-xbox-360-version/

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭00011000

alright animaX... :P guess who?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

animaX wrote: »
    I have a hori ex2 soul calibur edition but one of the buttons is icky. I've ordered sanwa buttons and a octogonal restrictor plate and some microswitches for the stick. There's a great hori ex2 modding guide here: http://pineconeattack.com/2008/12/07/how-to-mod-the-hori-fighting-stick-ex2-with-authentic-arcade-parts-xbox-360-version/

good luck man, more trouble than it's worth imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Tournament edition fightsticks are in stock for PS3 on Amazon, and they're going for RRP - £149 here

The xbox version is still through the roof at £235 though :(

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    good luck man, more trouble than it's worth imo

I'm down a button so I don't have much choice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Arcade sticks, pffft....

What I really want now is a pizza hut stickcreativearcadejoysticks_1.jpg

Atricle here

That stick has absolutely no range of movement!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Has anyone here built a stick from scratch? I'd be interested in giving it a go myself. Might put my degree in electronic engineering to some use at last :p

I'd be interested in advice on choosing/sourcing the components, housing... etc. Anyone know of some good guides?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Has anyone here built a stick from scratch? I'd be interested in giving it a go myself. Might put my degree in electronic engineering to some use at last :p

I'd be interested in advice on choosing/sourcing the components, housing... etc. Anyone know of some good guides?

Yeah I've got the bug aswell...

I'm gonna give it a bash anyway, not sure how tight the carpentry skills are though!

I'm gonna try a pretty simple build as described here - a pretty full on info site.

I ordered the bulk of my parts from here on the 24th April, I haven't received them yet but they were despatched on Friday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Is there an arcade stick that works with PS3, Xbox 360 & PC out? Or even in development?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Nope, and we can all blame Microsoft.
    Only way to circumvent is with a Cthulhu or UPCB by Toodles, with a piggybacked 360 pad.

@Sagat06: Good luck. This SRK thread might be of use, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Well i caved today and finally paid for a SFIV TE Fightstick off ebay. Gameseek won't sell fightsticks to Ireland. Thats £160 + shipping (was expensive) off my credit card. Get paid on 25th though. The fightpad i had was alright but I wanted a more arcade feel.

With more fighters coming out and some arcade psone games i'm buying of psn, this fightstick should do me.

EDIT: I seriously need to find a cheaper hobby/pastime like transpotting or bird watching

Birdspotting: membership for club, decent camera/lenses, rain gear, books.
    Trainspotting: membership for clubs, lots of notepads, rain gear, pride.

Yeah, I think fighters are cheaper :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

Any sticks that will work for pc, SF IV for pc soon and mame etc

Any sticks that will work for pc, SF IV for pc soon and mame etc

I'm pretty sure every stick works on pc! Some will work out of the box (madcatz, x-arcade) while others (hori) might need a driver to be installed on the pc. You will find info on shoryuken.com

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I installed drivers for PS3 controllers on both my mac and PC. I'm sure it'd be fairly simple to get PS3 arcade sticks to work therefore (Although some work out of the box, no?)

I'm still waiting for confirmation from the eBay seller, that he sent my fightstick. Guy hasn't replied to two messages

w00t!!

Seems my arcade stick might be delivered tomorrow. If not monday. Hopefully tomorrow though :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

My tournament edition SF4 stick arrived this morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Davey909

FutureGuy wrote: »
    My tournament edition SF4 stick arrived this morning!

Consider me jealous :(

Ah flaps!

GLS are delivering it to me. They're known for "no answer/address doesn't exist"

UPDATE: GLS shafted me as usual.

That sucks, dude.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    That sucks, dude.

Yeah, they're a really bad courier company. Even rang them this morning to give contact numbers if the courier needed directions or was having problems. When i rang back after my package status was changed to HELD, they said they received no contact numbers.

My job is in the city centre on a well known street so they have no excuse to not deliver it on Monday.

Advertisement