Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird hit window, what to do?

Options
  • 03-05-2009 4:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭

Came down to the kitchen a while ago, bird had obviously hit the window and was just sitting on the windowsill. Went out to see if he was OK but he tried to fly off and could only half fly. Anyways I came home there to find him sitting asleep on the windowsill on the other side of the house. No intention of trying to catch him right now as I'm half steamed and don't want to do further damage by making him fly away again.

Advice plz...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Well if you have no intention to do anything why ask?

Wait till in the morning, if he's still there then try to capture him and take him to a vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭AlanSparrowhawk

leave it be. when it dies put it in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If a bird flies into your windowpane, it'll end up stunned, on the deck.

Pick it up in a clean towel, and put it in a cardboard box or some other receptacle that offers it some protection. Then leave it outdoors, with the box open to the sky, somewhere that dogs and cats can't get at it. If you can, see can you stretch its wings out to ensure nothing's broken

Don't bother putting food and water in with it.

It takes anywhere between half an hour and four hours for a bird to recover from the stunning concussion it'll get from colliding with your windowpane in mid flight.

DO NOT BRING IT INSIDE YOUR HOUSE.

If the bird feels safe where it is, it'll take its time coming around before taking off. If you have it in your house, and it starts to come around, and you stick your big fat head into the box to look at it, it'll take off like a rocketship in fright. :) If it's inside your house, that could mean it'll injure itself (and trash your gaff).

Leave it in the box in a safe place with a clear exit. When it feels like it, it'll try a short flight.

(This is the information I got directly from my friend who runs a local wildlife shelter, unfortunatley the day AFTER I'd taken a lorikeet into my house and two hours later ended up trying to chase it out with a broom.)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

"Our" local hawk hit the kitchen window about 3 weeks ago and flew off. He was a regular, helping himself to linnets etc! However, he hasn't been seen since he hit the window. Actually, his mate hasn't been seen either. Any more advise on birds hitting windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Other than 'If it's still in the box after three or four hours and when you go to look in on it it *doesn't* take off like a rocketship, take it to the vet' - I'm all out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement