Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barry Lang returns to radio....... sort of! ;)

• 03-05-2009 6:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭

Don't know if anyone heard this when it was broadcast on the radio but I just came across this MP3 recording on the Today FM website:

http://audiostore.todayfm.com/audio/breakfast/Barry_Lang.mp3

Great to hear Barry's voice again. Lots of great memories brought back during that interview (nice to hear the mention of Simon Young as well). Listening to that recording, I only just realised how similar Barry's voice is to Tony Fenton's....... but, then again, having started out in the DJ game together way back when, I suppose it's only natural that both their "DJ voices" would turn out to have a similar sound to them, I suppose! ;)

Anyone else remember the "Web Week" on 2FM that Barry had a major hand in organising around 1994 or so in order to help promote and encourage the use of the internet in this country? In fact, I think I have an old copy of PC Live lying around somewhere where Barry was interviewed and he talked about his interest in the internet, computers (he talked about his brand new PC which he'd just bought at the time which I seem to recall was a Gateway 2000 with one of those incredibly powerful new Pentium processors running at a whopping 66 or 75MHz or something like that! :D) and aviation, to which we would eventually loose him from the radio to not long afterwards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I found this by accident the other evening. I've a subscription to the Ian Dempsey podcasts in my software but I rarely download anything from there.
    It was a nice interview actually - it sounds like a chat between old friends. His voice hasn't changed either.

barrylang2.png
    (from Today FM's website)

I remember that old PC live interview as well. It was around the time I bought my first PC actually - I think it had the same processor melting speeds as Barry's setup. He used to have some sort of IOL email address that he would use for his show - there weren't that many 2FM DJs who had email addresses at the time, let along a 2FM domain name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

He became a pilot, not sure which airline he works for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

He said he flies airbuses for Emirates in the interview.

For a trip down memory lane, listen to the music on this..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

im too young to remember Lang but i listened to the podcast, it was very entertaining, he sounds like a very shrewd, clever and nice person. ian and barry did seem to be genuine long lost friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Firetrap wrote: »
    He said he flies airbuses for Emirates in the interview.

For a trip down memory lane, listen to the music on this..

Flashback to the ill-fated WSPD there - they used that during "test transmissions"

Thanks FireTrap! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement