Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A cup of water is all...

Options
  • 03-05-2009 7:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

If someone could help me out on this it would be fantastic, my friends and I were talkin' bout it for some time.

Last night (friday) I went went into a well known sandwich bar on westmoreland st. (don't think i can say the name here) at about 3.30am and asked for a meatball and cheese sub...oopsie doodle, may have given a hint to the name there. As I was about pay is asked "can I have a cup of tap water please". i was told NO, I would have to buy a bottle of mineral water. After some back and forth between the chap in charge and I, I was told pierce st. Garda station was just across the road if I had a problem with it.

Tonight (saturday) I went to the same franchise, different location (this time temple bar, just beside where eager beaver was) and the same thing happened, I asked for a cup of tap water and was told he couldn't give me a cup of tap water, that the paper cups were counted every day and they'd (i'm assuming management) would know if i was given a free cup of water because the "count would be wrong on the cups" (his words). I was told I could pay 1.95 for a cup and have all the water i wanted. It was weird cause when I was arguing over it the security guard didn't do the usual "get out" routine. He was pretty baffled too that I couldn't have a cup of water with the roll that was gonna cost me near 6 euro

I didn't buy the sambo either time on principal. I know it seems scabby but needless to say i was pretty annoyed over this. A multi national business won't even give you a cup of tap water for cryin' out loud cause they want every cent they can get from you.

Anyway I know I've heard before that an eatery has to provide tap water and toilet facilities for paying customers but I don't know if it's actual law. If anyone could let me know the facts that would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

Don't think theres any law to say , they have to give you free water. The counting thng on the cups could be right. They do that in McDonalds for sure. Vote with your feet if you don't like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

there's plenty of restaurants that wont give jugs of tap water either.
    annoying given the amount a table of 4 would potentially spent on food and alcoholic drinks.

In the case of the sandwich place id have never though to ask for a cup of tap water oddly enough :confused: i must start trying though.

Here is a question though, if you went into a spar / garage deli counter and got a roll or sambo would you have asked them for a cup of tap water ? (many of the city ones also have small areas to sit in and eat)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I think under Irish law they don't have to supply free water on request. I remember something on the radio years ago about someone complaining that clubs and pubs were charging for a glass of water.
    Here in NZ it is legal requirement to supply fresh drinking water on request if you serve alcohol and the premises (not including liquor stores).

I don't see why you're shocked. Would you go into a green grocers and ask for a few grapes or a deli for a slice of cheese. They sell water and yet you want it for free. Plus you want to waste one of their cups. Not to mention that they pay for their water in one way or another.

If a busy shop gets 1k customers a day asking for water, at maybe 2c a cup, thats €7,300 a year. You have franchise managers whose livelyhood this is and you're putting staff in awkward positions when they're worried about their job.

Seriously, take a water bottle with you. Its numpty customers like that that make me glad to have very little customer contact anymore. Its retail....simple...we have stuff, you want it, you pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

I went into tesco yesterday and they wouldn't give me free potatoes!!:mad: - Sure they grow in the ground, so how dare Tesco not give them to me free!

Just like subway, tesco obviously don't pay rent or utilities or pay their staff, neither do the drivers that deliver them or the farmers that grow them - so as they have no costs, I should get everything for free!

OP - you're obviously young and have no idea how a business works. Free water = loss of revenue = less profit = not worth having store = closure.

And btw - Subway probably pay in the region of €2000+ per year for tap water just like every other food business. Non food businesses nationwide pay €400 + depending on size of premises for water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Stop being a cheapskate and buy a drink like everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Do they not have a water meter? I know a lot of commercial places that do, so then the tap water is not 'free'

I dont know about the counting cups, generally they are just at the till, you could take a few if you wanted, they might think your a bit strange but i dont think they would be calling the guards.

I would never have this problem because i wouldn't drink water with a meatball sub!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Last night (friday) I went went into a well known sandwich bar on westmoreland st. (don't think i can say the name here)
    Don't see why not, it is not like they did anything to be ashamed of. I would be shocked if any place like subway, mc donalds, BK, O'Briens or a chipper would give out a cup of water, it is unheard of, the security guard was probably baffled as he probably never heard somebody expecting it before.

I didn't buy the sambo either time on principal.
    So where did you go? I doubt you would find many similar places handing out free water.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

it would never cross my mind to ask for water in somewhere like that, or micky ds/burger king. however i'd have no qualms about asking for a glass of water in a restaurant and i'd expect it to be free!even eddie rockets don't charge for it, and they're crazy expensive!!you just gotta accept that somewhere like a sambo bar are gonna have fairly thin profit margins, next time just buy a drink like everyone else,they're great value and they let you refill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

darc wrote: »
    Free water = loss of revenue = less profit = not worth having store = closure.

In this case Charging for tap water=loss of revenue=less profit=boards thread:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

^ I was going to mention Eddie Rockets too. It's one of the things I like about Empty Pockets, and one of the many reasons I eat there. My point being, a "free water policy" may actually be good for PR/business.

Presuming I had ordered some food, if I was ever refused a glass of tap water in any cafe/restaurant, I probably wouldn't be dining there again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

when I worked for mickey d's we were told we had to hand to give it out. Afaik it's illegal not to hand it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

If a busy shop gets 1k customers a day asking for water, at maybe 2c a cup, thats €7,300 a year.

If a busy shop gets 1k customers a day asking for a sandwich, at maybe €6 each, thats €2,190,000 a year.

Its retail....simple...we have stuff, you want it, you pay for it.

Ah... customer service. I remember that ... back in the day.

darc wrote: »
    OP - you're obviously young and have no idea how a business works. Free water = loss of revenue = less profit = not worth having store = closure.

Read the original post. He said he refused to buy the ~€6 sub because they wouldn't give him some free tap water.

Adjust the formula accordingly.
    Lack of Free water = loss of revenue = less profit = not worth having store = closure.

I've never come accross a sit down restaurant that wouldn't supply free tap water with a meal. Seems to be a fast food thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

dvpower wrote: »
    Read the original post. He said he refused to buy the ~€6 sub because they wouldn't give him some free tap water.

Adjust the formula accordingly.
    Lack of Free water = loss of revenue = less profit = not worth having store = closure.

I've never come accross a sit down restaurant that wouldn't supply free tap water with a meal. Seems to be a fast food thing.

The tap water maybe isn't fit for consumption.

The store sell bottled water. It's the principle. The OP was refused in one place then went to another looking for something he had been told he couldn't have. Sounds like little more than a sh1t stirrer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The ice is free, dispence it into your hand and wait for it to melt!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

A restaurant without a clean water source would be a bigger concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

womoma wrote: »
    ^ I was going to mention Eddie Rockets too. It's one of the things I like about Empty Pockets, and one of the many reasons I eat there. My point being, a "free water policy" may actually be good for PR/business.
    Do they give you the water in a paper cup, or a reusable glass/plastic cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

A half-litre glass glass usually usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭ProperDeadly

I work in a food establishment where we sell tea/coffee etc in paper cups. And we are not allowed give out cups (with or without water in them) because the cups are counted for stock taking purposes. So maybe that is the reason?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Wow, a paper cup costs how much:eek:

Seriously, some businesses need to rethink how they do business. Not providing a glass of tap water is going to cost them business. I would choose eddie rockets over mc'ds or subways because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Wow, a paper cup costs how much:eek:

Seriously, some businesses need to rethink how they do business. Not providing a glass of tap water is going to cost them business. I would choose eddie rockets over mc'ds or subways because of this.

No people need to rethink how big a gobshyte they're being, for christs sake is it took much to as for someone to pay for something these days? or have Irish people gone so far up their own holes we just expect everything for nothing? having dealt with the public in every job I've had just makes me despair for humanity when we have people like the op with too much time on their hands to whinge and bitch about everything instead of just shutting the **** up and paying for something like everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

jhegarty wrote: »
    A restaurant without a clean water source would be a bigger concern.
    It's probably just standard water being piped in, the problem is it's likely to be stored in a tank, like domestic bathroom water, meaning it's clean and grand to use for dishwasher/toilets/washing hands but probably not 100% good for drinking. Like my water has been tested as perfect, but the tank water tastes a bit weird regardless of how newly it's been pumped in.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

I believe that for the sake of goodwill, the tap water should have been given out. He/she was a paying customer after all.

Once, I was driving from Limerick to Dublin with a terrible head cold and I stopped in the garage at the roundabout in Roscrea to get some hot water to make lemsip. I got my cup of hot water, went to the till and expected to pay the price of tea. The very nice assistant wouldn't let me pay for it. As a result of that good will gesture, I make it my business to stop there if I need to break my journey. Good will pays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I don't see why you're shocked. Would you go into a green grocers and ask for a few grapes or a deli for a slice of cheese. They sell water and yet you want it for free. Plus you want to waste one of their cups. Not to mention that they pay for their water in one way or another.

If a busy shop gets 1k customers a day asking for water, at maybe 2c a cup, thats €7,300 a year. You have franchise managers whose livelyhood this is and you're putting staff in awkward positions when they're worried about their job.

Seriously, take a water bottle with you. Its numpty customers like that that make me glad to have very little customer contact anymore. Its retail....simple...we have stuff, you want it, you pay for it.

Such a right wing quote, blimey.

The person is a customer, you could use the same argument for using the toilet or washing your hands. Giving out tap water should be part of the SERVICE not extra.

Vote with your feet, don't go back to subway. Follow it up with a letter to subway head office asking why this is policy, see what happens.

Damn right-wingers.

taram wrote: »
    It's probably just standard water being piped in, the problem is it's likely to be stored in a tank, like domestic bathroom water, meaning it's clean and grand to use for dishwasher/toilets/washing hands but probably not 100% good for drinking. Like my water has been tested as perfect, but the tank water tastes a bit weird regardless of how newly it's been pumped in.

Any restaurant without a fresh water supply shouldn't be operating as a restaurant. If its not good enough for drinking then its not good enough for food preperation either.

In Dublin, tap water is perfectly safe to consume.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I once heard that if somebody calls to your house asking for a glass of water, it's illegal to refuse them? That could be just a tail though.

I think business wise, it's pretty bad to charge for tap-water in any case. As is evident in this thread, people have said they will take their business elsewhere, in fact about 5 posters from about 24 posters have said this. That's quite a high percentage. And if you want to go by the calculations of the cost of a cup, saying 1K customers a day asking for water@2c a cup=7,300 a year lost, if by the same calculations you compare 5/24 (20%) of that 1k, so 200, not buying a €6 sandwich, in one day, that's €1,200 lost. So in one week, you've paid for your year supply of cups, by keeping all customers happy with a simple request of some tap water. I know these calculations are pretty much nowhere near reality of the actual demand of water/refusal to buy but losing a customer over what is a tiny tiny fraction of cost compared to the potential that customer has to spend in the chain is a bad move.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

i think the OP shouldn't of gone for the footlong and would of had enough left over to afford the bottle of water also :cool:
    I can't believe how some people expect 5 star service from a fast food joint.....reminds me when i used to work in a late night coffee shop before the mobile thing happened. Was mostly a young place but occasionally a couple would come in after a show from the opera house which was just around the corner and ask for the bill and to ring them a taxi also....i could never work out whether just pointing politley to the payphone or asking them for the 20p and i would be more than happy to do it for them was the best way of responding considering they had only spend £2 on two coffee's!

This was in Dublin city centre. Tap water here is fit for consumption.

The OP was refused in one place then went to another looking for something he had been told he couldn't have. Sounds like little more than a sh1t stirrer.

Sounds like a consumer. Fair play to him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

krudler wrote: »
    No people need to rethink how big a gobshyte they're being, for christs sake is it took much to as for someone to pay for something these days? or have Irish people gone so far up their own holes we just expect everything for nothing? having dealt with the public in every job I've had just makes me despair for humanity when we have people like the op with too much time on their hands to whinge and bitch about everything instead of just shutting the **** up and paying for something like everyone else

Sound like typical Irish customer service tbh. Shut the fook up, gis yer money and get the fook out.

Advertisement