Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A cup of water is all...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Christomouse

Thanks for all those helpful posts people, appreciated.
    The water must have been fine to drink cause he said i could have it if I bought the cup for 1.95 which wasn't going to happen.
    cc wrote: »
    i think the OP shouldn't of gone for the footlong and would of had enough left over to afford the bottle of water also :cool:
    I can't believe how some people expect 5 star service from a fast food joint.....

I wouldn't consider TAP water 5 star service, more like the most basic thing you ingest.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

womoma wrote: »
    A half-litre glass glass usually usually.
    Aye. It costs them nothing, as they'll get the glass back, rewash it, and reuse it. Subway would be giving out a paper cup which would be an instant loss if they gave it away for free. Also, due to the way they do business, there'd be nothing stopping people from getting refills from the drink machines after they finished their water...

McDonalds used to give out tap water... until they started selling it in bottles. There's a demand for water... lets sell it to them! :D

For shops in general, the "no drinking water" is usually bullsh|t to tell the customer. It shuts them up faster than saying "we have water in the back but you're not getting it, nah-nah nah-nah! :P"

What the OP did was... odd. If they went to a different frachise, that'd make sense. But they went to the same franchise, and expected a different policy? Mind boggling! Perhaps going to anohter franchise, and getting tap water, you could say X does it, but Y doesn't, but going to the same franchise, with the same policy... Albert Einstein is quoted to have said that insanity is "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results". You went to the same franchise, and expected a different result?

People don't seem to realise that shops make a business out of selling stuff. If they gave water to one person for free, everyone could ask for water, and the business would lose moeny. If they said no one person may walk away, but the other 20 will probably say "oh, okay" and buy the bottle of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

RATM wrote: »
    Sound like typical Irish customer service tbh. Shut the fook up, gis yer money and get the fook out.
    Irish? I would not expect a free cup or water in any place like subway anywhere in the world.
    The water must have been fine to drink cause he said i could have it if I bought the cup for 1.95 which wasn't going to happen.
    people pay for tap water in other places, I don't see the big deal. http://www.tapdny.com/
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2004/mar/20/medicineandhealth.lifeandhealth
    The person is a customer, you could use the same argument for using the toilet or washing your hands. Giving out tap water should be part of the SERVICE not extra.
    Many places will not have toilets either, there will usually be one in the back for staff use only. If it is part of the service then the cost will be included in the other stuff. So if people do not avail of the service they are paying for the other people who do. Providing toilet facilities costs money to maintain, as does giving out water free which they must pay for, water, cup, time etc.

Somebody mentioned they will go to eddie rockets instead, thats fine, with the prices they charge I have no doubt they already have the price/cost/loss factored in.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

I was in a nightclub before and asked for a glass of tap water. They wouldn't give it. All through out the night I'd spent a fortune in the place and they couldn't even give me a glass of water!

Haven't been back to that place since!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

If you have your own cup then it should be incumbent on any dining/take away service to give you free tap water.

I am conteplating whether to start up my own discreet cup making business.

Should I go for the blow up cup.

The bra that can be turned into two water vessels almost instantly.

The dual cup and condom.

The shoe cup.

Waterproof socks.

A giant Straw that can reach over the counter and to the water source preferably not the toilet.

The toilet cistern water extraction device (Straw again but perhaps with a drilling device to gain access to cistern.

Rain collection device.(upside down umbrella that obviously with a little ingenuity could have a second use in Ireland and would cut out the middle man)

Sweat collection device with desalination plant.

The Pothole water extraction device with purification plant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

joey54 wrote: »
    I was in a nightclub before and asked for a glass of tap water. They wouldn't give it. All through out the night I'd spent a fortune in the place and they couldn't even give me a glass of water!

Haven't been back to that place since!

Goodman!

If only everyone had this view.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

joey54 wrote: »
    Pretty sure they must provide water in nightclubs. I think a workaround is to sell the stuff in bottles, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Does anyone have a link to the law regarding toilets and water in pubs, restaurants etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

the_syco wrote: »
    Aye. It costs them nothing, as they'll get the glass back, rewash it, and reuse it. Subway would be giving out a paper cup which would be an instant loss if they gave it away for free.

As opposed to charging 1.95 for a plastic cup, which is a bit insane.
    If they charged a reasonable amount to cover the cup ot might be justified, but that's insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Aye. It costs them nothing, as they'll get the glass back, rewash it, and reuse it.

The glass doesn't wash its self, and would cost a lot more than a paper cup would to begin with

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Christomouse

enda1 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a link to the law regarding toilets and water in pubs, restaurants etc.?

Type "Irish statue book" into google. Open the link and just use the sites search function. I couldn't find anything about serving tap water though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

enda1 wrote: »
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1988/en/si/0147.html

Cloakroom Facilities and Toilets
    9. (1) A restaurant shall have cloakroom facilities and toilets.

(2) Toilets shall be provided separately for male and female customers and be easily accessible from all public areas of the restaurant.

(3) Such toilets shall contain:

( a ) water closets (hereinafter referred to as WC) in separate compartments;

( b ) fixed wash-hand basins equipped with plumbing for the continuous supply of hot and cold water and the disposal of waste.

(4) The minimum number and type of sanitary fittings installed in such toilets shall be calculated in relation to the number of diners to be accommodated in the premises at any one time as set out in the Table to this Regulation.

TABLE

No. of persons Male Female
    Up to 25 1 WC, 1 urinal,

1 wash-hand basin
    1 WC, 1 wash-hand basin

26—60 1 WC, 2 urinals,

1 wash-hand basin
    2 WCs, 1 wash-hand basin

61—100 2 WCs, 2 urinals,

2 wash-hand basins
    3 WCs, 2 wash-hand basins

101—250 1 additional WC for every additional 50 persons, 1 additional urinal for every additional 75 persons and 1 additional wash-hand basin for every additional 100 persons. 1 additional WC for every. additional 50 persons and 1 additional wash-hand basin for every additional 75 persons.

(5) The toilets in a restaurant shall be equipped with mirrors, towel rails, clothes hooks and a clean and ample supply of toilet requisites (including either or both towels and hand drying facilities, soaps, toilet paper, disposal bins and other necessary accessories).

(6) The toilets shall be well ventilated (by direct or mechanical means) and properly supervised and kept in a clean and hygienic condition.
    "restaurant" means any premises which are structurally adapted and used for the purpose of supplying substantial meals to the public for consumption on the premises and in which any other business carried on is ancillary and subsidiary to the provision of such meals;
    subway might not qualify as a restaurant.
    MOH wrote: »
    As opposed to charging 1.95 for a plastic cup, which is a bit insane.
    If they charged a reasonable amount to cover the cup ot might be justified, but that's insane.
    Well people are praising eddie rockets for giving out free water. A large coke there is €3.10 http://www.eddierockets.ie/iopen24/pub/Menu%20March%202009.pdf
    AFAIK most of these places are using syrups and tap water. So you could similarly say if they charged a reasonable amount to cover the cup and the 5-10cent worth of syrup and gas "it might be justified, but €3.10 is insane"
    Pretty sure they must provide water in nightclubs. I think a workaround is to sell the stuff in bottles, though.
    I don't think so, I remember the temple of sound would cut off the water to the toilets too, as people refilled the water bottles there, they would just claim it was a water supply problem. More prevalent in "e friendly" clubs for obvious reasons.

A poster mentioned water being given to people calling to your house. I think that is a myth, I used to hear ones about public houses having to though, dating back to horse drawn coaches or something, might have only been in the UK, and might have changed since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

As previous posters have said its not in the law that nightclubs and Pubs have to provide free water. In my opinion it should be and it might just prevent people from going that step too far when they're having drinks. i.e make people more likely to have a glass of water in between rounds!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

rubadub wrote: »
    subway might not qualify as a restaurant.
    "restaurant" means any premises which are structurally adapted and used for the purpose of supplying substantial meals to the public for consumption on the premises and in which any other business carried on is ancillary and subsidiary to the provision of such meals;

No, Subway is not a restuarant - they are a take away establishment. Their food is made for consumption off the premises.
    So, they do not have to supply toilet facilities.

As for the water issue - vote with your feet.

P.C. wrote: »
    No, Subway is not a restuarant - they are a take away establishment. Their food is made for consumption off the premises.

Not 100% true, most of them have tables and chairs and a lot do have toilets, and in and outside the pale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

I think it's a sad thing to read some people's greedy retail driven barks at the OP for asking for a free glass of tap water.

He should be given a free drink of water if he's already provided the company with their huge mark up on the sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Who gives a **** if Subway have to legally give tap water or supply toilet facilities? You are all so far from the mark here.

If a complete stranger knocked on my door and asked me for a glass of water I would get them one, hell I may even invite them in for a beer.

Called being nice & civil. Just because you are a business does not mean that you have licence to behave like ***** and disregard common civil manners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

AFAIK pubs/venues restaurants need to have running water.Use to go to dance nightclubs years ago and they would only have hot water in the jacks to stop people filling up the water bottles with cold water instead of buying it from the bar

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

P.C. wrote: »

Ive never been in a subway that doesnt have chairs and tables in it:confused:

Op if you bought it on a friday you can now get a FREE DRINK and not just tap water ;) when you buy any footlong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

cc wrote: »
    I can't believe how some people expect 5 star service from a fast food joint...

You must hve pretty low standards if you think getting a cup of water is 5 star service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

MB Lacey wrote: »
    I think it's a sad thing to read some people's greedy retail driven barks at the OP for asking for a free glass of tap water.

He should be given a free drink of water if he's already provided the company with their huge mark up on the sandwich.

Damn right. It's not that long ago that the very idea of having to buy a bottle of water (or being ABLE to buy a bottle of water) would have been totally unheard of...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

While I would never ask for water at a fast food place I am suprised that it would be refused. I always thought it was a legal requirement to provide drinking water where food was sold + consumed at the premise. I can't find anything to back this up so perhaps I am getting confused with toilet facilities.

Fairly bad customer service. It's not a big thing and would keep this customer happy. Ah well just avoid subway in the future!

He could easily go somewhere else at 3:30am in the morning when pi55ed and acting the prick. Then he'd be happy to have the cost of the drink included in his mcd's meal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

He could easily go somewhere else at 3:30am in the morning when pi55ed and acting the prick. Then he'd be happy to have the cost of the drink included in his mcd's meal

Why are you assuming he was drunk and acting the prick?

I always laugh when a reasonable request such as the OP's gets such firm responses that come down totally on the retailers side. "What do you expect OP, do you think we're made of water is that it?"

I can almost imagine their faces behind the counter, screwed up in disgust at outrageous requests for water!

Advertisement