Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool V Newcastle Match Thread. 03/05/09

• 03-05-2009 9:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭

With results yesterday in the relegation battle going our way I wonder how our players will react today.

I don't have much hope but the only thing that will give me any sort of hope is the fact that Liverpool seem to be conceding a few goals lately.

I would love a draw but realistically we don't have the players to even muster up a half decent performance for a draw.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

G'wan Newcastle!
    Been looking forward to the match all week

I put 5 euro on in Paddy Powers last week.
    Newcastle to win 3-1 at 175/1.

Yep, I'm delusional but it's gonna be Newcastle's day! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

mikemac wrote: »
    G'wan Newcastle!
    Been looking forward to the match all week

I put 5 euro on in Paddy Powers last week.
    Newcastle to win 3-1 at 175/1.

Yep, I'm delusional but it's gonna be Newcastle's day! :)

I wish I had your confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

liverpool to win this easily . 3-0 pool

John Giles wrote: »
    liverpool to win this easily . 3-0 pool

If for some reason Newcastle somehow learn to play today I reckon it might be tough but I still see a Liverpool victory to be honest.

Few rags saying Torres is a doubt but no confirmation from any decent sources so probably should be ignored.

Gerrard back and he loves playing against the Toon.

Its the type of game where Liverpool struggled earlier in the season but they look a different side now and I'd expect 3 points tbh.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Its the type of game where Liverpool struggled earlier in the season but they look a different side now and I'd expect 3 points tbh.

Didn't they beat us 4-1 earlier on in the season? Didn't look like any sort of struggle to me to be honest.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Didn't they beat us 4-1 earlier on in the season? Didn't look like any sort of struggle to me to be honest.

What I mean is Liverpool at home, playing a team from the lower half of the table which they are expected to beat. This sort of game has been a hinderance to Liverpool this season.

That match was 5-1 and was probably one of Liverpools best performances of the season. Could have been double that if I remember correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Newcastle need a win, 5-0 to ze Pool.

Mixed feeling for me. Obviously want a red win but I hate seeing the situation Newcastle are in. Can't see anything other then a Liverpool win I am a afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

After watching the last Newcastle game, it's hard to see them even scoring, let alone getting a win.

• Advertisement

After watching the last Newcastle game, it's hard to see them even scoring, let alone getting a win.

What will happen is Martins will be clear on goal. Reina for some reason has ran up to Newcastle's half to shake hands with Steve Harper, all the Liverpool players will be eating sandwiches on the halfway line.
    Martins shoots...... and blasts it over the bar.

That_Guy wrote: »
    What will happen is Martins will be clear on goal. Reina for some reason has ran up to Newcastle's half to shake hands with Steve Harper, all the Liverpool players will be eating sandwiches on the halfway line.
    Martins shoots...... and blasts it over the bar.

Actually lol'd :)

Actually lol'd :)

It's Newcastle. Making people laugh is what we do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It'll either be a total goalfest about 6-0 or a very edgy game of weirdness. Given (!) there is no Given this time one can only see one result and yet who knows if the early goal doesn't come?

There is a suggestion in that rag The Mail on Sunday that Torres will be rested by Rafa as he is not needed - now there's an insult to the Magpies. I suspect its rubbish myself though I'd not be suprised if he gets subbed by 65 mins if all goes well.

Torres is not starting, apparently.

Have a feeling about Toon today though. I think 16/1 is a huge price considering that this really is an all or nothing game for them.

Torres is not starting, apparently.

Have a feeling about Toon today though. I think 16/1 is a huge price considering that this really is an all or nothing game for them.

16/1 where you getting that mate

tbh im just curious im not going near newcastle

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1644709,00.html
    NEWCASTLE United will be without defensive duo Steven Taylor and Jose Enrique for Sunday's trip to Liverpool.

Taylor suffered a reoccurrence of an ankle injury during last month's defeat at Spurs and remains sidelined.

Meanwhile, Enrique pulled up with a hamstring problem against Portsmouth on Monday and he too will not travel to Merseyside.

I knew Enrique wasn't going to make it but I thought Steven Taylor would've been back. Damn.

Who is the back line then?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I'm looking forward to this one but I don't think I'd be brave enough to back a prediction with the meagre contents of my paddypower account.
    My head says liverpool by a cricket score but getting 12/1 for newcastle here. Where did you get 16/1?

mike65 wrote: »
    Who is the back line then?
    Duff - Bassong - Coloccini - Beye I would imagine.

• Advertisement

My head says liverpool by a cricket score but getting 12/1 for newcastle here. Where did you get 16/1?
    betfair.com

Duff - Bassong - Coloccini - Beye I would imagine.

It's the only thing I can see happening. Jonas should be starting today for us. Wonder if Barton will be making an introduction. I don't see him starting because Shearer seems to be smitten with Alan Smith.

sunday papers are saying owen wont be starting

€200 on Liverpool -2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Id give anything for a Newcastle win but Pool wont lose to them at home.

RasTa wrote: »
    €200 on Liverpool -2

Liverpool (-2.0) 15/8 terrible price on pp....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

any streams?

no good price on pp concerning liverpool

• Advertisement

According to SSN Owen is dropped to the bench. About time. Useless anyway. Dukes and Oba I reckon unless he wants to throw Lovenkrands in the mix too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Another 4 all draw plz

More points lost by the Pool, and maybe a few heartattacks along the way :D

fun fun fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Ahhh i thought kick off was at 12:30 :mad:

Ahhh i thought kick off was at 12:30 :mad:

No half one it is.

And Dave.... 4-4 will never happen mate. It's impossible for us to score one let alone 4. Dreamland. :)

From Setanta

Fernando Torres is definitely out of Liverpool’s clash with Newcastle after he did not even take the team bus.

Ho hum.

LFC: Pepe Reina, Daniel Agger, Steven Gerrard, Albert Riera, Fabio Aurelio, Xabi Alonso, Yossi Benayoun, Alvaro Arbeloa, Dirk Kuyt, Javier Mascherano, Jamie Carragher
    Subs: Diego Cavalieri, Andrea Dossena, Ryan Babel, Lucas, David Ngog, Nabil El Zhar, Martin Skrtel

NUFC: Steve Harper, Habib Beye, Damien Duff, Sebastien Bassong, Fabricio Coloccini, Nicky Butt (c), Alan Smith, Joey Barton, Peter Lovenkrands, Oba Martins, Mark Viduka
    Subs: Tim Krul, Kevin Nolan, Michael Owen, Danny Guthrie, Andy Carroll, David Edgar, Jonas Gutierrez

On paper we have a great team out today but we need to work harder for each other.

HOWAY THE LADS!!

• Advertisement

nice one Benayoun is playing

what position will he play ?

It's free money so anything over evens is +

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

On the right by the looks of it with kuyt up top.

I recon Kuyt is up front on his own so behind him.
    RasTa wrote: »
    It's free money so anything over evens is +

Well best of luck. Just think it's a ****e price.

good old benni to score 2 or more today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

I recon Kuyt is up front on his own so behind him.

Gerrard is effectively a striker now in case you've forgotten

125/1 for Liverpool to lead at half time and Newcastle to win at full time. PP

Pity no Nemeth on the bench, it looked like he might get a chance today.

After seeing the teams, I feel even better about my Newcastle flutter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

After seeing the teams, I feel even better about my Newcastle flutter.

:confused: Fair enough there's no Torres, but backing Newcastle at Anfield is why Paddy Power make the profits they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

So this is win or bust right ?

All the best lads.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I dont think Liverpool will get away with it that easy. If castle are trying their best, it might be tough but Liverpool should get at least two goals. I cant see them thrashing them like they did with United like some predict.

EDIT: Also cant see Liverpool loosing this. Not even a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Torres not playing is a blow but it should be no excuse if we fail to win, we should really be able to do it without him.

However I wouldn't be quite so confident to put down 200e with a -2 handicap, especially without Torres...

Have him as captain in fantasy football though, typical :rolleyes:

I'd say Liverpool will do it 2 or 3 nil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Sully wrote: »
    I dont think Liverpool will get away with it that easy. If castle are trying their best, it might be tough but Liverpool should get at least two goals. I cant see them thrashing them like they did with United like some predict.

EDIT: Also cant see Liverpool loosing this. Not even a draw.

+1

As much I'd love to see Liverpool lose or draw this one, I think it'll take them playing particularly badly and Newcastle playing out of their skin. Newcastle just aren't playing well at all, and it's at Anfield.

Still though, come on Newcastle! :p:D

Interesting that Babel is on the bench I guess thats down to Yossi starting on the right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement